Why/How did IPA's become so popular in America?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bdeast1, Jun 9, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

This. Americans think craft, we think it HAS to be intense and have HUGE flavor. No time to figure it out, gimme the big one.

2. ShemRahBoo

ShemRahBoo Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 New Jersey

IPAs were the first style i really got into after having a celebration. The reason they are so popular like most are saying is because of the bold bright flavors and drinkability. I will admit earlier on the ABV influenced me slightly because you can't help but feel like you are getting more bang for your buck.

3. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

I lean towards this statement being overblown just a bit. I cannot argue at all the imperialization of styles is certainly an American trademark, we do like big in your face beers. When you look at the beer we have available to us as a whole you neglect a huge portion of what makes up the American craft brew scene if you view it solely as bold, brash and aggressive beers. Forums like this focus on the big beers because they are more exciting, but that does not mean we don't drink the less "exciting" more balanced beers, they just don't make exciting conversation. I think we also have a tendency to view BA as a representation of the beer scene as a whole. BA represents a small portion of the customer base and our opinions often do not match the opinion of the whole.

Auror, JohnB87, Errto and 1 other person like this.
  4. Chugs13

Chugs13 Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2011 New Jersey

Mmmm Hops...

5thOhio likes this.
  5. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

its America its Imperial its a style of what sells and get displays and shelf space ,but right now im drinking and enjoying a summer love

Chickenhawk9932 likes this.
  6. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

Because America is a man's country and folks got sick and tired of drinking sissy watery Bud. But pale ale wouldn't do nor would IPA or even Double IPA. Only Imperial IPA was worthy though I'm still waiting for someone to produce a Quad IPA. And I'm gettin' impatient.

tronester, sbuysse and Kuemmelbrau like this.
  7. Heatwave33

Heatwave33 Initiate (0) Sep 13, 2011 Florida

The bitterness from good hops and sweetness/bitterness from citrus and the balance of the malts. I'm creaming myself as I type!

jaybags likes this.
  8. Derranged

Derranged Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2010 New York

They also seem to be gaining popularity among non-craft drinkers/people don't regularly drink craft.

9. Pahn

Pahn Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2009 New York

name recognition ("oh, i'll just have an IPA," "do you have any IPAs?" etc), plus lots of really excellent (D)IPAs made across the country.

SNPA as a gateway beer also helps.

10. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Moylans and fitger's brewpud(duluth) already have 1

11. Zimbo

Zimbo Pooh-Bah (2,281) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland
    Pooh-Bah

Right. I'm hoping on a plane for San Francisco and Minnesota right now.

jaybags likes this.
  12. Crackerroll

Crackerroll Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 Missouri

AIPA/IPA in the Summer and Extra Stout/Imperial stouts in the winter for me.

13. dannyhipps

dannyhipps Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 California

Pretty simple, IMHO. My experience and the shared experiences of most of my friends tells me that it's simply a love at first sight phenomenon. And sure, there will always be trendy assholes amongst us in human society who gravitate to whatever's popular and lie to themselves and convince themselves that they like something that "everyone else" does....
    Or how about the craft beer guy like me who has to sit down with a boring german lager, or APA and force himself to nurse it and appreciate it's "subtle nuances" ? Sure, I can appreciate just about any beer in the right situation, and with tears in my eyes see it full tilt boogie as the masterpiece that it is, but who are we kidding? I'd much rather be quaffing a LUSCIOUS Mongo, Sculpin, WipeOut, Union Jack, or what have you if given the option...
    In my experience, the IPA phenom is a LOVE/HATE thing... you can tell when you get someone talking... they scratch their chin and try to hide that look on their face like they just smelled catpiss, and yammer on about how they "{ can appreciate a good IPA, "like PLINY, butt" ........ Well, that a pretty big BUTT, Lorraine..

14. paulys55

paulys55 Initiate (0) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania

I think Kevin nailed it above. It is a style that showcases the delicious flavors that hops lend to beers while remaining very drinkable.

15. Fartknocker

Fartknocker Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Because many want to be part of the 'cool' clique.

16. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sadly the latter group is quite common. Know your scoville units for that ghost pepper salsa!? How many IBU's is that beer? It better exceed 120!

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

“How many IBU's is that beer? It better exceed 120!” I am not ‘averse’ to bitterness. For example I enjoyed drinking Green Flash Palate Wrecker. But my preference is the flavor/aroma hops. One of my favorite IPAs is Bells Two Hearted. That beer does not have a lot of bitterness but it is one TASTY beer from the generous flavor/aroma hopping.

Two Hearted, yum!

Cheers!

GregoryVII likes this.
  18. BrianTheBrewer30

BrianTheBrewer30 Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2009 Massachusetts

What is it about IPA's that we love so much in America that we just can't get enough?

Drink Alpine and your questions will be answered.

yemenmocha likes this.
  19. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I think part of it is that so many good IPA's are brewed. Just about every craft brewery seems to make a good IPA. That does not seem to be the case about any other style.

20. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Are the popular because so many are brewed or are they brewed because they are so popular?

tronester and Zaphog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.