Zwanze Day at Lord Hobo 2015

Discussion in 'New England' started by AlcahueteJ, Sep 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

2. Sheppard

Sheppard Grand Pooh-Bah (3,282) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll confirm this some time in the next week, but I believe Hobo does two Zwanze toasts. One at 3 PM. One at 6 PM. People usually bail after the 3 PM toast, so that opens up the possibility of trying the Zwanze to others. Sharing because it might make sense from a scheduling your Saturday perspective in case you don't get in at open.

#2 Sheppard, Sep 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2015
  3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

I called last year around 4:30ish to see what it was like, knowing there was another toast at 6 pm. They said they were still at capacity. In year's past the 6 pm toast has been much easier to get into, but each year has become exponentially more difficult to gain entry.

That being said, there's usually some goodies still leftover that Saturday night, and it definitely clears out after 6.

4. SiddFinch

SiddFinch Crusader (448) Dec 18, 2013 New Hampshire
    Trader

Does anyone have the tap/bottle list from Lord Hobo? Just curious; I was at Armsby today

5. tylerk88

tylerk88 Pundit (780) Nov 17, 2013 New York
    Trader

I had an awesome time at LH. Showed up around 10:45, was in less than an hour later. Props to the guy who was working the line -- super friendly and was doing his best to get us all inside.

Not the best photo of the draught list, but it's all I've got:

[​IMG]

woodfinish likes this.
  6. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

What did they charge for the Zwanze pour? $10?

7. jamvt

jamvt Savant (1,126) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

I guess when you're brewery isn't hitting projections you have to charge these prices for 6oz of lambic.

brikelly, jlordi12 and mayorQuimby like this.
  8. EnronCFO

Pooh-Bah Society

People waited hours to pay those prices. Could have charged double and they'd still pay up. Wonder what bottle prices looked like.

9. messrock

messrock Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2010 Massachusetts

There's nothing better than spending several hours, sober, on a Cambridge sidewalk discussing craft beer with fellow beer geeks on a beautiful day. [/sarcasm]

10. EnronCFO

Pooh-Bah Society

Deep and meaningful conversations about beard maintenance, how long the wait was at MBC and Tree House the prior weekend, dick measuring/cellar collection contests, leering at the one girl in line that doesn't seem to be with a boyfriend. I'd sign up for that even without the possibility of overpaying for Zwanze.

jrnyc, jlordi12, SveNss0N and 3 others like this.
  11. DogfishTail

DogfishTail Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2011 Rhode Island

2 beers under 10 dollars. Good googly moogly

12. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Savant (1,230) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

$10 for a 6 ounce pour of St. Lam or Cantillon Kriek, that's the equivalent of a $40 bottle. at that price it would fly off the shelf in a liquor store so a bar selling for that price is not crazy at all. 365 days a year Hobo would sell St. Lam at that price, very quickly.

tylerk88 likes this.
  13. messrock

$40/bottle for Kriek is highway robbery in a store.

MarkF150 likes this.
  14. HighLowJack

Trader

you can think that, but it would fly off the shelf at that price.

sandman3479 likes this.
  15. messrock

Sad state of affairs if the store is gouging like that. MSRP on the standards is around 18.99 and the LPs are around 22.99. At least they were about a year ago.

16. HighLowJack

Trader

pretty easy to argue it's not price gouging if the price is such that it sells out instantly.

the brewers may not agree with the practice, but that's a different story/problem. the Red Sox finally figured out that it was silly to let scalpers capture the lions share of profits from Yankees games, but the scalpers really weren't "price gouging" they were pricing appropriate to what the market was. the Red Sox finally figured this out and went with dynamic pricing

F2brewers and woodfinish like this.
  17. CRon_T

CRon_T Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2014 Florida

Was up in Boston for the weekend and strolled into Lord Hobo around 6:30 because we didn't want to waste our time up north waiting in lines. Everything was still on tap other than Iris '15. Great bar and set up, we enjoyed our time there

trilliumhead84 likes this.
  18. HighLowJack

Trader

pretty sure you won the weekend. strolling in >>>> waiting on a sidewalk for hours to jam into a packed bar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.