Zombie Dust vs Gumball Head

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by APB, Dec 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duffman929

Duffman929 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

How else would we know part of how to determine trade value?

2. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Pooh-Bah (2,201) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

You're not going to find any unless you journey to Munster. It is my understanding that it is only available at the brewery.

lucasj82 likes this.
  3. pecsokak

pecsokak Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2012 Virginia

is this the case? my brother is coming back from chicago, and i have him on a mission to bring me back some ZD and alpha king. are they not sold outside of the brewery?

4. stayclean

stayclean Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

Chicago gets Zombie Dust, though the brewery is the best bet (Alpha King should be easier to find in the city I would imagine).

5. Stevedore

Stevedore Grand Pooh-Bah (5,072) Nov 16, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You should be able to find Alpha King more easily than Zombie Dust

Speaking of which I'm at the brew pub right now and its great. Nothing like fresh Zombie Dust to sate the thirst..

6. pecsokak

pecsokak Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2012 Virginia

alright cool. hes not too in to craft beer, so i'm not sure he is going to know where to look for it, so if anybody sees some and wants to help out an out of towner feel free to post or pm

7. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Pooh-Bah (2,201) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah

ZD is only sold at the brewery, I think; I could be wrong. Lucky for you, Munster is essentially Chicago. Tell him to stop off and grab a case. Alpha King can be found basically anywhere in FFF's distribution area.

8. spartan1979

spartan1979 Pundit (946) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

This thread has inspired me. I've had a half pound of Citra hops sitting around for 6 months that I didn't know what to do with. I'm going to make a Zombie Dust clone over the holidays!

APB likes this.
  9. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

Is gumballhead in the same style as lagunitas little sumpin sumpin?

10. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Initiate (0) May 29, 2011 Florida

ZD > Gumballhead > Dreadnaught

Had ZD & Dreadnaught side by side the other day & ZD made Dreadnaught look downright silly imo

fredmugs likes this.
  11. bryang002

bryang002 Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Illinois

If you're lucky you can find some ZD in the City but you're best bet is going to the Brewery. FFF is 30 mins from The Loop. ZD and Gumballhead are significantly different beers, if you like Citra Hops you can't go wrong with ZD. Personally, I like ZD but GBH is a solid wheat.

12. goodstrongbeer

goodstrongbeer Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Sorry, but this is pure nonsense. From the moment Cenotaph came out it was a big hit, and you don't have to believe me, check the reviews, which you prompted me to dig through. It looks like the first 25 reviews were for Cenotaph, with a straight average of 4.434, and only 2 scores below 4.0, from the same growler from guys used to drinking $30 beers. Including this quote from former legendary grand poohbah, mikesgroove, "overall the opinion was shared by all, this was better then most anything i have had in a long, long time." Also, this was a quote from what appears to be the first 'zombie dust' review by MrMcGibblets, "i was thrilled when i saw that cenotaph had been resurrected as zombie dust...my only worry, especially after talking it up to friends the whole way to FFF, was: would it be the same? answer: it was exactly the same, praise be the invisible unicorn."

In addition when the few batches of Cenotaph came out, it was draft and growler only, and while the draft price was the same as their other regular beeres (AK, GH, RtB) the growler price was double the price of the regular beers ($24 instead of $12), and almost as much as a growler of Dreadnaught ($30), which has a draft price more than double the regular beers, and people still bought them, no questions asked (maybe some questions). When Zombie Dust was finally bottled the price went from $24 for 64 ounces to $35 for 288 ounces, making it to me at $1.50 a bottle, $4$ the best beer in the U.S., if not the world, and I wouldn't care if they called it Dog Shit or Cat Piss!

MrMcGibblets likes this.
  13. homebrew311

homebrew311 Pooh-Bah (2,070) May 19, 2008 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Screw choosing one or the other, your friend should give you one of each. They are both delicious (provided they are very fresh) for different reasons. Don't think of Gumballhead as your typical wheat though, because it is in a different realm. I suppose I should say the same about ZD as a APA. If you have to choose, choose whichever one is fresher.

14. canuck

canuck Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2012

zombie dust

15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,291) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I voted Gumballhead only because it's slightly easier to find it (although both are scarce). However, I like both of them about equally in taste, maybe with an edge to ZD.

16. DAllspaw

DAllspaw Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Indiana

My standbys when visiting the brewpub were a case of Alpha King, ZD and Gumballhead. Last time i was there there were out of King cases, so I grabbed Pride and Joy. I would highly recommend you give it another try, while not as in-your-face as the others, it is an incredibly well-balanced beer.

mymasterpiece75 likes this.
  17. Zach136

Zach136 Initiate (0) Jun 17, 2012 Georgia

I may not have the most popular opinion here, but I'd go with the Gumball Head based on the fact that it's so much out of the league of the other beers of it's kind.

They are both phenomenal beers and I love it when I get the chance to have them, but you can probably find something comparable to ZD that's much easier to get than FFF. Gumball Head on the other hand is light years ahead of other wheat beers. Just my $0.02 and worth as much as you paid for it.

charlottemoeron and PapaGoose03 like this.
  18. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

Zombie Dust and Gumball Head do not belong in the same sentence much less compared to each other.

19. Casedogg43

Casedogg43 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Indiana

Zombie for me.
    I don't drink any other wheat beers besides Gumballhead.

20. YogiBeer

YogiBeer Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Illinois

whats better, cat piss or great scotch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.