Yuengling sales are dropping in Boston

Discussion in 'New England' started by TheBeerNation, Jul 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBeerNation

TheBeerNation Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2014 New York

After an initial boom when Yuengling hit the Boston area a few months back, sales are now on the decline. Like any product (not just beer) there is an initial surge when entering a new market and then sales/interest drops off and that is when you need to have a plan to maintain a spot in that market. Boston is a HUGE market opportunity but with Sam Adams and Harpoon, not to mention the rest of the breweries in the area, there is a lot of competition and a lot of loyalty to those local brews. It will be interesting to see what happens.

http://bostonherald.com/business/business_markets/2014/07/yuengling_suffering_boston_beer_bruise

HRamz3 and JackHorzempa like this.
  2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

From reading the article it might just be that Yuengling is not a 'good fit' for the Boston beer market. I guess we will have to wait and see but perhaps a smart business move for Yuengling is to just gently 'recede' from the Boston market and concentrate on other New England markets where they are a better fit?

Cheers!

3. Davepoolesque

Davepoolesque Pooh-Bah (2,582) Aug 25, 2012 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I feel that if Yuengling was prices similar to BMC then it wouldn't be having as much of a problem. As of right now, it's being priced along the lines of Sam and Harpoon(13.99-15.99) for 12 packs.

HRamz3 likes this.
  4. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I want to love Yuengling, I really, really do. Unfortunately, my taste buds don't feel the same.

nolanz14, Stignacious and gcamparone like this.
  5. TSto24

TSto24 Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2010 Massachusetts

Many stores must have jacked up their prices, based on the initial demand. At my store, it is $7 for a 6pk and $13.50 for a 12, and that is with tax and deposit already included. Back when it was about to hit, I guessed a six month peak, then fading interest. Couldn't compare that to bmc products as we don't sell them.

6. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yeah that doesn't make any sense. In PA, it's usually about $20 for a case. In bars, if it's not the same price as BMC, it's maybe only 25 cents more a pint.

Recent add from a local beverage store:
    [​IMG]

Flashy likes this.
  7. Patches826

Patches826 Pooh-Bah (2,345) Aug 28, 2013 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's priced identically to BMC in my area. In fact, most of the people still buying Yuengling are ex-BMC drinkers, not loyals of BBC and Harpoon. Yes, the initial surge has subsided, but Budweiser is still taking a pretty good hit in the long run.

8. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,057) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society

Classifying Yuengling as a craft brewer is quite the stretch... But this article seems to offer a metric for when to stop considering a brewery a craft brewer...That metric is when they start relying on brand loyalty and not their craft.

TheBeerNation and jefffalcone like this.
  9. huuvola

huuvola Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2005 Massachusetts

10. jefffalcone

jefffalcone Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Massachusetts

I guess everyone finally tasted it...

My buddy from Philly was laughing his ass off at all the hipsters paying too much for that swill when it first hit

mungbeans likes this.
  11. jomobono

jomobono Savant (1,114) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

This is great news for Shiner Bock.

geocool, Auror, DogfishTail and 2 others like this.
  12. HighLowJack

HighLowJack Savant (1,230) Jun 5, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

this is very not surprising. beer market is crowded as is, last thing we needed is Yuengling

FrankLloydMike and HuskyHawk like this.
  13. loupap

loupap Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2008 Rhode Island

12-packs are $10.99 in most RI stores

14. buking21

buking21 Pundit (810) Jan 21, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Exactly. The merchants don't seem to understand that the draw of Yuengling is that you get better tasting beer at BMC price points--at least, that's what it seemed to me down in DC/VA/NC bars, where Yuengling was often the cheapest beer on the board. I'm guessing due to the initial hype, most Boston bars were pricing it around $5--the bar across from my office in Waltham sells it at a whopping $6!

Now I love Yuengling, but like D'Annunzio in Caddyshack, I ain't payin' no 50 cents for no Coke.

GonzoHomebrewer likes this.
  15. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

How is it priced in comparison to Narragansett? I don't buy enough 'Gansett to know what the price is. I seem to remember $8 per 6-pack of tall boys. If it was priced in that range I could see it working.

My biggest thing was always, it's an amber lager. If I want an amber lager I'll take Boston Lager.

16. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,245) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes, aside from being local here in PA - that is the selling point.

17. pehodges

pehodges Devotee (395) May 25, 2013 Massachusetts

Or a warning shot across the bow. Shiner's buying their clothes from much the same emperor.

markdrinksbeer likes this.
  18. Shyla987

Shyla987 Zealot (575) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Jomobono was being sarcastic. Here's the thing: Yuengling has a wicked attitude. I said wicked, heh.

They are entering markets very high priced, with very strict demands. They're about to enter CT and whoa, crazy stuff. Many bars/restaurants and retail outlets want them; people have been requesting them for years. I'm no expert - they've been a successful company for many, many years, so take with a grain of salt - but I kind of think they are overestimating their long term demand. We shall see.

jomobono likes this.
  19. Sesmu

Sesmu Zealot (744) Feb 28, 2007 Massachusetts

The word "decline" isn't mentioned anywhere in the article :slight_smile: And it doesn't look like it draws any conclusion either. Simply stating a fact that the sales are down from their original numbers, which was expected. Half a year is too short of a period to draw any meaningful conclusion.

Regarding the prices, in MA Yuengling core products' wholesale prices are identical to those of BMC core products, at least for 6 and 12pks. So wherever you see it priced higher - it's the store's pricing policy.

And the same seems to be true for kegs prices, although people in the other thread noted higher on-premise prices.

20. dortenzio1991

dortenzio1991 Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2011 Connecticut

It depends on how its priced in CT. I know that there is alot of demand for it, but not at craft beer prices. Look at Shiner Bock around CT. Priced from the distributor like a craft beer, even though it is more of a BMC type product. I cant imagine Yuengling or Shiner will last long at those premium prices.

smutty33 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.