Yuengling Expands Distribution to Massachusetts

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jason, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. If this starts taking out other craft handles it will be a shame.

FrankLloydMike, Fluke828 and Dools9 like this.
  2. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I'm confused about all the excitement about this. It's definitely nice to have more options, but Yuengling is by no means a good beer. Seems crazy to get excited about a beer with a cumulative rating of 78

3. Rekrule

Rekrule Initiate (0) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

There is a large subset that seem to love it. I've heard it asked for in beer stores more than I've heard anything else not distributed to MA asked for. I'm interested to give it a try.

I'm not excited because I just see it pushing out some craft handles in most non-craft centric places that have just started to get the picture. My wife loves her some uno's, smokey bones, and texas roadhouse so I go even though they are not places I would choose normally. If this starts to push the Allagash White, Long Trail, Steel Rail, and SNPA out of these places my enjoyment will go down even further. It seems destined to happen.

4. jamvt

jamvt Savant (1,126) Aug 5, 2005 Massachusetts
    Trader

sam and harpoon may not be direct targets and hopefully not lose draft lines to yeungling. but their presence will certainly affect velocity. if you have someone who drinks sam and harpoon on the regular, but adds yeungling to their rotation, that will certainly hurt sales. same at stores.

5. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Pundit (995) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Personally, I'm excited for it. I don't look at it as a "good beer" or "bad beer." Double Sunshine, Heady and Fuzzy Baby Ducks are probably my three favorite beers ... but I like Yuengling as well. If I'm going to a Sox game in the middle of summer, I don't really want to load up on IPA/DIPA -- I prefer something that drinks significantly lighter.

I used to try and seek out Miller Lite in these settings; now, for me, Yuengling (or even Yuengling Light if it appears enough places) will replace that.

The ratings may be helpful in some instances, but they're subjective. If you compare Yuengling to beers such as BMC, it crushes them -- and it's going to come it at the same price point or even a little cheaper.

EDIT: Meant if you compare Yuengling's BA rating to BMC BA rating, it crushes them.

6. KevTurnersBootburn

KevTurnersBootburn Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2014 Massachusetts

Yuengling is a great cheap beer that definitely isn't going to appeal to someone who cares about what "cumulative rating" it has. It will be a welcome change from having to drink Naragansett or PBR at clubs around town. Pretty sure it will crush both of those sales wise if it shows up at places like Great Scott or the Middle East. It also wouldn't hurt my feelings much to see it replace some of the completely mediocre "regional craft lines" at local bars.

7. willbm3

I definitely see it impacting those tap handles as well as Sam and Harpoon, albeit to a lesser extent. Any place that might carry Yuengling certainly at least has Sam Adams on tap and I would pick Boston lager over Yuengling 100 times out of 100.

I lived in NC for 5 years and have certainly drank my fair share of Yuengling. A friend and I joke that it can best be described as "perfectly mediocre." I like new choices, but I can't get that excited about a mediocre beer that seems destined to have a negative impact on the availability of other better options.

Rekrule likes this.
  8. Jason

Jason Founder (0) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts

Perhaps we'll see some pricing wars due to all of this which would be a good thing.

9. HRamz3

HRamz3 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2010 Pitcairn
    Deactivated

I'd really be suprised if that happened. Maybe initially it will have a temporary effect, due to the new novelty, but I can't see it. Yuengling in PA has little to zero infuence on craft. It's way more popular in bottle than on draught, which is weird because I can't recall ever getting a bottle of Lager than didn't seem skunked. About the only places I see it on tap are lame chain restuarant/bars, sporting venues, and faux-Irish bars.

Edit: 'Gansett will probably be the hardest hit. The reverse happened here.

10. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Savant (1,147) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Bright side is Gansett is still king of RI. :wink:

11. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

local near me has been selling Yeungling Light for a while now. I never realized yeungling isn't distributed to Mass, basically because I never drink the stuff.

12. seanwhite

seanwhite Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2008 Massachusetts

The folks who will guzzle suitcases of Yeungling will have zero idea and give no shits that it has a 78 rating.

HRamz3, braineater and pjl44 like this.
  13. pjl44

pjl44 Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2008 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

Those of us on here are not necessarily the target market.

14. Aaron58

Aaron58 Zealot (607) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

Feb 22nd is the launch for draft accts. March 3rd for retail

I heard the same 300k number as well and I believe it.

15. willbm3

I get that, but I feel like there has nevertheless been some excitement on here

16. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Pricing that benefits the consumer -in the Boston area? I'm not holding my breath.

willbm3, SunDevilBeer and Rekrule like this.
  17. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

18. kleo

kleo Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2009 Massachusetts

Yuengling would probably become another one of my "concert beers." I go for music. Friends go to get drunk. After a certain point in the night, they get offended that I have been toasting them with water and buy me a beer. I go as cheap as possible without inducing vomit so that means gansett or yuengling depending on region.

19. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Pooh-Bah (1,945) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Just returned from lunch at an Irish joint near where I work - gone were Harpoon IPA and ShockTop Draft lines, replaced by Yeungling & Yeungling Light Lines. Lagunitas IPA handle was still there. Shiny new Y-L pint glasses too, as well as posters for a "release party" on March 6.

FWIW - drafts were $3.00 (they charge $5.00 for Lag IPA).

HRamz3 likes this.
  20. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Pfft--that's nothing! Conor Larkin's is better:

[​IMG]

(Previously was a mostly-AB-InBev pupu platter of bud/stella/shocktop/GI, with a handle of SNPA and Longtrail)

braineater likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.