York Beach bottle shops

Discussion in 'New England' started by Balrog1, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Balrog1

Balrog1 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 Connecticut

Just looking to get suggestions for bottle shops in York, Me. I've been to the gas station/sandwich/pizza shop on rt 1 (fairly close to the exit and stonewall kitchen). They have a pretty good selection. Any others I should check out?

2. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Great area, but not much actually in York. Tully's beer and wine in Wells a little north may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts. The Tributary brewery is one town south in Kittery and pretty spectacular. Portsmouth has some great spots too.

3. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Pooh-Bah (1,977) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Agree on tributary recommendation. Hit black birch down the street for sweet tap list.

DoctorD likes this.
  4. DoctorD

DoctorD Initiate (0) May 20, 2015 Maine
    Trader

This is Anthony's Pizza, inside the Shell station on Rt 1 just north of the turnpike exit. This is it for York, although the Hannaford supermarket does have a few local selections (Gearys, Shipyard, 3-4 variations from Rising Tide, and in the past few days they added Funky Bow from Lyman).

The best tap list in York is the York River House, which has 20+ on tap and usually has some interesting selections from Allagash and Maine Beer Co. plus other craft goodies. They just had a Dogfish tap takeover and almost always have something interesting and hard to find.

Tully's in Wells is the best bottle shop in the area, bar none. It's about 10 miles up Rt 1 and there is significant construction going on right now, so you probably don't want to go unless you are heading north anyway. Heading down Route 1 into Kittery you will find Carl's Meat Market - a huge selection of craft beers and they sell a ton (especially on the weekends) so they have great turnover. The other good place in Kittery is the 7-11 in the traffic circle. For some reason they seem to carry a large amount of Evil Twin brews, and I have also seen Sculpins, Left Hand, Prarie, and many others.

But the big draw in Kittery is Tributary - you can have a drink there or get some at one of the local restaurants - Black Birch or When Pigs Fly both have many crafts on their taplists. Tulsi (Indian) and Anju Noodle Bar (Korean-pan Asian) also carry craft beers but not much in the way of selection. If you are aiming for the best food, Black Birch and Tulsi are the best bets.

5. Balrog1

Balrog1 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 Connecticut

Great. Thanks for call the suggestions guys.

6. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

These travel threads always seem to pop up at the perfect time for me! Sorry to threadjack OP. Anyone know if tullys got epihpany cans? According to foundations facebook page some cans were going out to their retail locations (which looks like it includes tully's) a week ago. I am headed up to wells tomorrow, not sure if i have time to shoot up to portland until friday.

7. DoctorD

DoctorD Initiate (0) May 20, 2015 Maine
    Trader

Tully's FB page said they got some on June 2 but that is probably long gone by now. You can call or text Tully's and if they have it, they will hold it for you if you give them a credit card number.

8. MVP09

MVP09 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2012 Massachusetts

7 Eleven in Kittery!

AirBob likes this.
  9. Evmo31

Evmo31 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2015 Connecticut

Thanks! I didnt scroll down that far, they post on facebook alot which is awesome. Like you said, probably long gone but thanks for the tip.

10. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Pooh-Bah (1,836) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I have a soft spot for When Pigs Fly Pizzeria, they always have some unique taps and explicitly list taster, half pour and full pour prices for each beer. And the wood fired pizza is fantastic! Had my first DFH 120 and Even More Jesus drafts there. Then you can go next door and get some outstanding breads to go. We often get a savory bread but also their chocolate bread which my wife makes a great sweet cream cheese dip to accompany.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.