Yet another new brewery...

Discussion in 'New England' started by JrGtr, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JrGtr

JrGtr Pooh-Bah (1,689) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

So I understand that yet another brewery is in planning here in Massachusetts.
    This one is in Hudson, a block from The Horseshoe, apparently.
    http://www.medusabrewing.com/
    Does anyone know anything about this? Who is behind it? Who is the brewer and what's his (or her) resume?
    According to the website, they signed the lease, so it'll be till next spring or summer until they are mashing in.

2. noob

noob Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2004 Massachusetts

How about we all wait until they are open, try the beer, and pass judgement then?

3. Brad007

Brad007 Pooh-Bah (2,797) Mar 28, 2007 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah

Don't be a jerk, man.

New breweries open all the time, everywhere. Give 'em a chance first.

4. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (0) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

You made it sound like this is a bad thing. I never have an issue when new beer hits the market, especially local. Also, I never put much value on anyone's "resume". Good luck to them.

5. DougC123

DougC123 Savant (1,162) Aug 21, 2012 Connecticut

Sounds horrible. I feel bad for you, hopefully you don't live close to it.

6. LeRose

LeRose Grand Pooh-Bah (3,509) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

There goes the neighborhood....

jlordi12 likes this.
  7. jomobono

jomobono Savant (1,114) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Great, a brewery in my town...thats all I need.

8. jomobono

I'm on it.

9. mmcgrath

mmcgrath Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2003 Massachusetts

curiously, i find no negative intonation in thread title or OP.

but quite interested to see what's in my backyard, first i'm hearing of this....

schteve, shlauncha and commis like this.
  10. jomobono

Looks like they sent a press release out about 16 hours ago via twitter to BA and other beer peeps. I can walk to this place from my house so would love to sit down with them over a beer.

11. mmcgrath

the blog link wasn't working on my phone, but reading it now, i recognize the brewer's name as a friend of friends, small beer world.

12. krantul

krantul Zealot (636) May 18, 2005 Massachusetts

Hey folks. I'm Keith Antul, the brewmaster (sounds a bit grand, I know) and one of the owners at Medusa. Glad to see that some Hudsonites have already caught wind of our project.

Like many of our contemporaries, I'm starting this directly out of a homebrewing background, though I have some additional pedigree. I've collaborated with Ben Roesch at Wormtown several times, most visibly when we brewed Pro-Am Porter and took a medal at GABF. Also did a beer with the Tap in Haverhill, and spent many an early morning at Gardner Ale House.

Hope that shines a little more light on things... certainly feel free to let me know if I can answer any questions. Cheers!

13. mcBrewsAlot

mcBrewsAlot Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2008 Massachusetts

So its a red ocean in the business world. Craft beer still only accounts for less then 10% of the $90,000,000,000 market.

14. JrGtr

Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks for the info...

For the record, there was no negativity implied or intended in my original post. I was curious about the new place, and what the story is. Some places are opened by people with absolutely no experience, others come from big names, and some somewhere in between. I absolutely will try the beers and check out the place when it opens, though I moved away a couple years ago - I was within stumbling distance from the 'Shoe... if I was still there in Hudson, I'd be there wanting to volunteer to help out as much as possible.
    Judging from the Pro-Am Porter, if the rest of the beers and recipes are anywhere close, this will be a success.
    IIRC< this is the first actual brewer in Hudson since the old Pilgrim Brewing closed in what, 90s?

15. mmcgrath

been in stow for over a decade, nice that there now options to the 'shoe.

16. krantul

No worries! We just went "public" yesterday, and we'll certainly be getting more information out as we progress. As you mentioned, it is indeed the first brewing operation since Pilgrim, though this will be predominantly a pub environment. Drafts and growlers will be our focus. Stow's not too bad, shorter than my commute will be. :slight_smile:

17. JrGtr

Pooh-Bah Society

So you will be a brewpub place? So similar to John Harvards or Beerworks, serving only your own beers?
    Be an interesting dynamic with Horseshoe so close.
    Are you planning on food or just beer? (or too early to tell so far?)

18. krantul

And Rail Trail. Hudson will have quite a walk-able beer scene.

Yes, we'll be a brewpub-style place, with fairly substantial seating (100+). We will only be serving our own beers. We are working out the details, but we will offer some small plates and you're welcome to bring food in. Plenty of places around, and we're next door to Hudson House of Pizza.

jbertsch likes this.
  19. JrGtr

Pooh-Bah Society

Heh, I like it. Hudson, the new beer mecca of the western burbs of Boston. :slight_smile:

20. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I think if you got rid of the YET in your thread title it would fix the negative connotation

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.