Wicked Weed Angel of Darkness

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by Vikings1201, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treznor

treznor Pooh-Bah (1,814) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Don't think I've tasted a Freak that wasn't the same as the others I've tasted. Lusus naturae isn't a personal favorite, but I know others that like it. Guess I don't get the inconsistent claim either.

2. KingEdward

KingEdward Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2010 North Carolina
    Deactivated

I have gone to wicked weed since day one and freak has tasted different to me many times.. the second batch of lusus was so different from the first that the bartender warned me and then didn't charge me cause it just wasn't good..

3. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

My issue is more of, my favorite WW beers tend to be seasonal. They never make enough. I was hoping they might make some of their non sours like Milk It or Milk and Cookies or French Toast year round... or that yummy spicy brown from last year (name eludes me at the moment). Have they made some not as good beers as others, sure what brewery hasn't? They have even goofed in house, their, White Angel wasn't nearly as good as their white wine collaboration with Biltmore House Winery released on the same weekend, oops.

Not a huge IPA fan so I can't speak to Freak's consistancy or Lusus's either as I wasn't a huge fan of it anyway. However, There are a lot of beers there that are worthy of a WW stop for me, at least weekly. Funny thing about the "mediocre" one off's, you get to sample before you buy. I don't even have to ask the keeps at the main brew pub, I walk in, they instantly pour me whatever is new out for me to taste (not ipa's they know me fairly well). Hardest part is choosing between the main pub and the funketorium.

4. raveskdr

raveskdr Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2009 Virginia

This WW hate is...pretty confusing. Their sour beers have been getting better and better through the years. Their current lineup at the Funkatorium is incredible. Nectarphilia is delicious. This is the best Medora yet...except for the Medora that is in barrels which is somehow better. Montmaretto may be my favorite sour I've ever had from them and Bombadille may be the best strawberry wild beer I've ever had period. And then we can start in on the Angels...

As for pricing, sour beers are time intensive and expensive to manufacture. No shocker at the pricing. If it aint got a comma on the price tag...I mean but then again who even look at the price tag?

Subcontrabass likes this.
  5. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I feel like their beers are fairly priced. I still look at the tag though, because I am poor.

Subcontrabass likes this.
  6. KingEdward

Deactivated

Year round milk and cookies would be Awesome..

andyctree and NCMonte like this.
  7. KingEdward

Deactivated

I just don't care for most of the ww brew pub beers but i agree that this medora version is awesome as well as the bombadille.. I also like most of their year round sours better than any of the angels although i thought the red was pretty good..

8. Crim122

Crim122 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 North Carolina

I had never heard of that one, just looked it up. NEED.

9. raveskdr

raveskdr Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2009 Virginia

It was a Nikki Minaj lyric (don't ask why and how I know that).

10. KingEdward

Deactivated

Its probably my favorite ww beer. It should be out just before christmas. If same as last 2 years then i am thinking December 18th. It only lasts about 3 weeks tops

11. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Since I love Sours, I can't say this, but it is one of my favorite Stouts in WNC. Rivaled only by Pisgah's old Vortex II now called "Chocolatized"

KingEdward likes this.
  12. BMBCLT

BMBCLT Grand Pooh-Bah (3,403) May 9, 2014 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I thought that was awful, just like all the other Pisgah beers that I've tried.

NCMonte likes this.
  13. andyctree

andyctree Zealot (651) Apr 20, 2010 North Carolina

I just wish they would age their beers a little longer. Many of them seem a little premature when they are first released.

I don't worry about the price because I know they spare no expense on ingredients. I guess that is what you get when the owner Infomercials the world.

14. lateralusbeer

lateralusbeer Savant (1,158) Feb 7, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

This. Did the same with the last two Angels and Dark Arts. Have yet to find myself saying, "Man I screwed up not spending hundreds of dollars stocking up on this" after a glass or two (not that the beers were necessarily bad)

#54 lateralusbeer, Nov 12, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2015
    KingEdward likes this.
  15. brentk56

brentk56 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,013) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

So, if I am reading their post correctly, you can only buy one bottle at the pre-sale and then can wait in line for up to six bottles on the general release. I really don't understand this at all when the method used for the Dark Arts release was so smooth. I loved the idea with Dark Arts that you didn't have to wait in line for hours to get your bottles.

16. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

I dont see where that is stated. It looks like WW is doing the sale like normal, you buy up to 12 via BPT and if you get shut out there will be a limited amount of tickets for some amount at WW on 12/12 (Saturday, not Sunday).

17. brentk56

brentk56 Grand Pooh-Bah (5,013) May 13, 2004 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Here is where I got the single bottle information:

http://wickedweedbrewing.com/angel-of-darkness-pre-sale/

From the text on that page:

Angel of Darkness Pre-Sale – November 21st at 12pm (EST). Limit one per-person.

18. PurdueBrewCrew

PurdueBrewCrew Initiate (0) May 28, 2015 North Carolina

They mean one pre-sale package. They will probably have 6 and 12 bottle options.

19. treznor

treznor Pooh-Bah (1,814) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'll go out on a limb and say that's a typo.

mjk91383 and Lonestar9 like this.
  20. mjk91383

mjk91383 Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2014 South Carolina

believe it or not, the prices are even higher this time around. the price for a case after fees is almost $275.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.