Why I hate CA growler laws

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Arbitrator, Sep 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamex

jamex Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2010 California

I wouldn't mind if the growlers were cheap ($5). But when they push $25 (Societe) per brewery, I got to draw the line, even if their beers are amazing.

2. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

Coming from Ca to Va I think the common sense growler laws was the biggest plus. Whole Foods has been a steady weekend stop for me.

3. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

It was 1997. There were a lot fewer options for craft beer back then (remember, people actually used to like the beers of Crown City Brewing too). I was visiting some friends in Ridgecrest, and the pint of Mojave Red I had with lunch actually tasted pretty good. Good enough to stop at the Indian Wells Lodge on the way back home hoping to pick up a six pack.

"We don't bottle our beers," said the hostess. Then she held up a big glass jug and said, "But I can sell you one of these. Do you want it filled with the Red or the Lager?"

And that was the first growler I ever bought. Hey, gotta start somewhere, right?

brokensail and DrAwkward82 like this.
  4. vurt

vurt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,578) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

They used to. I haven't been into one of their places in a good 5 or 6 years. I used to enjoy their Piranha Pale Ale and their oaky Owens IPA, and the brewmaster at BJ's West Covina used to make a terrific rauchbier.

5. milesmayhem

milesmayhem Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2005 Oregon

So glad to be out of CA. Oregon = Any growler, any location, any fill. Aaaaand...I can now take any growler I have purchased anywhere in the country, and go down to my favorite Shell gas station and get it filled with any of the 30 beers on tap. I love Bend.

6. HopHead84

HopHead84 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,144) Nov 29, 2006 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What beers are on for fill at Shell?

7. Levitation

Levitation Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2009 California

regular, middle, and premium.

8. flexabull

flexabull Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2006 California

Sounds like 30 taps with lots of local Bend brews.

http://is.gd/yapvaS

9. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

"The store will not only fill up the traditional growler, but they sell a smaller version called a "growlette."
    "Those are just awesome for all the girls," said Kelly Wilson, a store employee. "We've got ciders, light beers, and we have all the dark stuff too. That's also a good thing to taste the beers."

LOL. They got light beer and cider for chicks too.

10. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2008 California

It drives me nuts that more breweries don't do what you do. Good work!

11. Arbitrator

Arbitrator Pooh-Bah (1,955) Nov 26, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I e-mailed Drakes with the exact text that Ale Industries wrote above. This was their response:

"Thanks for your email. There's been a difference in opinion amongst brewers whether a brewery can truly (legally) fill another brewery's growler here in CA. A few, like AI, will fill other's growlers but most feel that with the present rules it's not possible. The good news is that CA brewers are considering working to try and change that. I encourage you to look into and support the California Craft Brewer's Assoc. and others are doing on this front. Hopefully, things will be different in the not to distant future and you'll be able to buy a common growler, good to fill at any CA brewery. Thanks again for checking in."

Better than nothing, I guess.

I also e-mailed Moylan's (who responded that they'll check with management), Marin, Bear Republic, and Russian River. I'll e-mail Lagunitas in a bit, but it would be disingenuous since I've never been there.

12. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Ask Lagunitas if they fill baggies too.

Etan, pinkgrenade, RobertV916 and 4 others like this.
  13. MarkIntihar

MarkIntihar Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Michigan

Only if they're labeled with the brewery's logo.

rmdownward likes this.
  14. MasterSki

MasterSki Grand Pooh-Bah (4,824) Dec 25, 2006 Canada (ON)
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Indian Well has an Amber Lager aged in Mojave desert-aged Evan Williams barrels and sold exclusively in wax-dipped growlers. Not sure if you can get a a refill at the brewery...

15. pokgye

pokgye Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2011 California

How about at the next big beer gathering (DL Days, Firestone International, T30?, etc), we conduct a trebuchet building contest and use growlers as ammo? Teams can be based on geographic tasting groups: SoCal, NorCal, Chicago, etc. We could get local breweries to sponsor teams. "Next up is the Alpine Team versus the Founders Team."

ehammond1 and MarkIntihar like this.
  16. caskstrength

caskstrength Zealot (705) Nov 26, 2008 Minnesota

why aren't you bringing the growlers back to the brewery the next time you go? Are they not giving you a credit for a returned growler?

bradfordjohnson likes this.
  17. brokensail

brokensail Grand Pooh-Bah (4,025) May 25, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Trader

You get a pass.

Chris and Craig do not.

westcoastbeerlvr likes this.
  18. IceAce

IceAce Pooh-Bah (2,220) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Heh...as I sit here with Owen and Oscar (The West Covina Brewer), they both said thanks...but the rauchbier was actually brewed by Doc in Chandler.

19. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I just inquired about this while at Ladyface in Agoura this week. You are purchasing the glass, not paying a deposit. Not sure if this is the case with all brewers.

20. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

As far as I know it is. I've never seen anyone offer a growler refund.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.