1. Stop lurking! Log in to search, post in our forums, review beers, see fewer ads, and more. — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Whole foods seattle

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by coyote711, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coyote711

coyote711 Aspirant (206) Aug 4, 2010 New York

A friend of mine will be going to seattle next week.

Are the following beers available in whole foods:
    Pliny the elder
    Dragons tooth stout?

What are some other good craft beers (ipa/double ipa/stout) available in wholefoods?

2. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Which Whole Foods? (Roosevelt Square, Westlake, Interbay?) Each carries a slightly different inventory but they all have good selection and pricing.

They all should get Pliny; however, Seattle only gets about one shipment per month and it goes pretty fast. Your friend will have to ask for it.

Dragonstooth Stout should be available pretty much everywhere, I think.

As for other good beers, I actually really liked the Pike Brewing Space Needle 50th Anniversary IPA, and I don't know what kind of distribution that one gets elsewhere. Would make a fun collectible bottle. I also liked Elysian Idiot Sauvin (IPA). Supposedly Skagit Brewing's Trumpeter Stout is good but I haven't had it yet. Your friend can ask the beer person for recommendations too, they all seem to know their inventory pretty well.

3. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Roosevelt Whole Foods puts Pliny out first come first serve. Seattle tends to get a shipment every five weeks.

Buy a bottle of every single Fremont beer they have available.

checktherhyme and Orca like this.
  4. honkduh

honkduh Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2011 Oregon

Pike XXXXX is another good inexpensive local stout that's readily available. Around $5.00 for a bomber.

5. csano

csano Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2010 Washington
    Trader

A few of our local beers won medals at the recent World Beer Cup. This is one of them (silver). Others include the Fremont Bourbon Barrel Abominable Ale (bronze behind King Henry) and the Silver City Imperial Stout (gold). All should be available on shelves.

6. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

I work at Interbay, we've got a 2 bottle limit on Pliny and you've gotta ask for it usually.

7. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

Please tell me where these shelves are. AFAIK the last refuge of B-Bomb was a shelf @ Roosevelt Square Whole Foods, and they got cleaned out on Sunday.

8. NWer

NWer Pooh-Bah (2,145) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Pear Market at Pike Place Market has B-Bomb in the cooler. One of my favorite and most overlooked by others beer store. Ask for Phil the beer buyer - very knowledgeable and friendly.

Orca likes this.
  9. honkduh

Super deli mart and beer junction had a lot of b bomb last time I was there.

10. coyote711

Thanks for the input. My friend will be visiting the interbay branch. I'm also looking for a googd stout to cellar. Can anyone recommend a good one?

11. NWer

Pooh-Bah Society

As long as we're talking about Whole Foods, is it just me, or does the new Whole Foods in Lynnwood suck? They don't have much compared to the other stores. Pretty lame. I expected much more. Maybe they just haven't gotten going yet?

12. punkhim

punkhim Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Washington

It completely sucks. The whole store sucks, actually. It's the pilot store for their new suburban version of Whole Foods, which to me means, "pretty much an Albertsons." IMO, Central Market's beer selection is much better than the Lynnwood Whole Foods.

NWer likes this.
  13. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

Pick up a Driftwood Singularity out of Victoria, BC. They're running $20/bottle but you won't find one anywhere except Seattle or Canada.

csano and Mages64 like this.
  14. NWer

Pooh-Bah Society

Central is cool. It's my go-to store.

15. coyote711

Anybody seen these beers at the interbay branch?

Bourbon barrel abominable ale
    Space needle golden anniv vinatge ipa

16. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

Look above for where you might find Bourbon Abominable (I've never seen it @ Interbay).
    I'm pretty sure I saw Space Needle @ Westlake Whole Foods today, not sure about Interbay though. Westlake had Singularity today too, as well as a few bottles of Collage.

17. honkduh

Any of you PNW dudes try the homefront yet? opinions?

[​IMG]

A special beer created with ex-Seattle Mariner pitcher Chris Ray and Brother Phil of COTU Brewing to honor our veterans. Homefront IPA is brewed with oranges and aged on Louisville Slugger® bats donated by the legendary bat maker. This beer is our way to say thank you to our vets for their service and sacrifice. Operation Homefront (OH) provides emergency financial assistance to the families of our service members and wounded warriors. All proceeds from the sale of this beer will be donated to OH. Because Veterans Matter!
    Down & Dirty: 2-Row, Crystal-60 & Aromatic malts with Cascade & Chinook hops. 6.2% ABV
    Availability: Released annually on Memorial Day and here until it's gone

18. Orca

Pooh-Bah Society

I tried it last year (or whenever it was last released), didn't think it was anything particularly special. Good cause, interesting story. But the beer itself I thought was pretty average.

19. honkduh

Good to know, thanks!

20. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I had this year's Homefront at Fremont the other weekend. Tasted identical to last summer's iteration.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.