Which beers should I cellar laying down?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by joey_c, Aug 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joey_c

joey_c Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 California
    Trader

I'm sure this has been covered but I was unable to find good clear answer when searching.

Which styles and/or breweries should I be cellaring on their side?

I picked up some cantillon and was told to cellar it laying flat. On the contrary, I have also been told that aging beer on its side with a cork will impart the characteristics of the cork over time.

I also am curious about LA duck duck gooze as I will be picking up quite a few bottles of that next month.

How about other sours like the bruery or cascade? I assume most of my imperial stouts should be aged standing up.

Thanks.

2. joey_c

joey_c Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2012 California
    Trader

3. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Ahhhhhhhhh...the debate begins, again.

youradhere likes this.
  4. geocool

geocool Savant (1,209) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

This is definitely one of those issues that people will argue about, with no clear consensus IMHO. Because it's the way Cantillon does it, I store Lambics and Gueuzes lying down (and some Gale's Prize Old Ale), everything else standing up. I don't think it's a big deal either way.

youradhere likes this.
  5. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

This is the correct answer. Do whichever is easiest for you.

BrettHead and errantnight like this.
  6. forgetfu

forgetfu Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2007 Colorado

7. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

That was really interesting. A couple things I really liked:

1) The story about Jean saying they did it that way because it's what they've always done. That's what I've suspected for a long time, that it's not necessarily about results but expedience and tradition.

2) The whole "but it probably won't make much difference either way" thing at the end, which is basically where I am. There are lots of rationales for doing either, but will it matter? Maybe, but the difference is likely rather small.

8. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

Whole corks- lay down
    Agglomerated corks- upright
    Caps- upright

Why? Because that's how I skin a cat.

Jwale73 likes this.
  9. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Maven (1,480) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Like Cantillon (as noted), I was reminded at 3F a couple weeks ago to store corked bottles on their sides, but others suggest otherwise. Not that comforting one way or the other. But if sidewise would import cork flavors to beer, why not wine?

10. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

Look closely at the cork. Is it a single piece of cork, or is it finely ground cork particles glued together? Hint- in it looks like a cork board it is glued cork particles. I believe the glue in the agglomerated corks impart the off flavors. Granted most wines have agglomerated corks, and they are laid down as well, I chalk it up to the fruitiness of the wino culture that they lay them down. Either that or there is a more logical answer involving the chemical makeup and chemistry that separates beer and wine (ingredients aside).

11. hooliganlife

hooliganlife Pooh-Bah (1,697) Apr 12, 2007 Missouri
    Pooh-Bah Society

i agree on glued cork but if armand says its best on its side, pretty sure he knows

all lambic and gueuze are laid down

12. davey101

davey101 Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2009 Connecticut

Make sure you lay them down by the fire...

13. HalfFull

HalfFull Pooh-Bah (1,870) Feb 19, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Cellar as you wish but always serve in a Cantillon basket to minimize agitation after the first pour..

14. mitch3114

mitch3114 Pundit (849) Feb 20, 2012 New York

You can cellar any beers you like while laying down. Just make sure they are all standing up when all is said and done.

15. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Maven (1,480) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

I was looking back through threads on this and stumbled across this. Lambic-based beers are the exception because they will have a lot of lees that are best kept where you found them -- thus the basket that keeps the bottle on its side after a first pour. I really should get some baskets because otherwise I have to keep rigging up things on my countertop to hold the bottles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.