Wheat Free Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GuidedbyBeers, Aug 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theCoder

theCoder Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota

Green makes some nice gluten free beers actually. My wife has an intolerance so we've tried most of them and Green's are the best. glutenator is decent and there's a brewery in Spain that makes a solid lager that is made with glutenous ingredients but they strip the gluten from them so it's rated gluten free. I also made a damn good one imo, I made a rhubarb honey ale that's fully gluten free as well as ciders and mead soon for the wife.

But as said before most beers don't contain wheat, some craft breweries actually list ingredients now (types of malt, yeast and water is usually it :stuck_out_tongue: )

2. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Well said. Although I would say that one doesn't need to eliminate beer to lose weight. Exercise is the key.

VictorWisc likes this.
  3. afrokaze

afrokaze Pooh-Bah (1,933) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

I remember 5 years ago when almost no one was allergic to gluten. It's strange that modern thinking has led to the conclusion that we should eliminate foods that have been staples of our diet for thousands of years with no issues.

4. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Maven (1,355) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Most "allergies" to gluten are actually intolerance, which is merely a digestive problem. Combine the ignorance of the difference with significant underreporting in the past and you have an "explosion". Crohn's disease and Celiac disease diagnosis is much more common now, so it may make it appear that there are more cases, when, in reality, it's just better identification.

5. afrokaze

afrokaze Pooh-Bah (1,933) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

True, I have friends who have Celiac so they have a legit issue; I was more talking about people who have jumped on the bandwagon because they "just feel better" not eating gluten :rolling_eyes:

6. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Maven (1,355) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

There have been a number of straw-grasping reports that elimination of gluten from diet helps children with autism or spectrum disorders or Down Syndrome to develop better, closer to norm. There have been similar reports about dairy. I have no idea of their accuracy, but I doubt these have much to do gluten-free beer. If anything, they might be closer to anti-vaccers.

afrokaze likes this.
  7. jsouza

jsouza Zealot (544) Nov 19, 2006 Massachusetts

Not celiac disease just an allergy to wheat. Does anyone know of any good wheat free beers, not gluten free. Thanks in advance.

8. Herky21

Herky21 Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2011 Iowa

Most beers don't have wheat in them. Avoid wheat beers and Hefeweizens and beers that list wheat in the ingredients.

alysmith4 likes this.
  9. HawkeyeNation

HawkeyeNation Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2013 Iowa

I did read the whole thread and OP never specified. Was just trying to make sure he knew the difference is all. I know everyone else mentioned wheat-free, but OP himself never did specify if it was just wheat he wanted to cut out or gluten in general.

10. job478

job478 Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014

I recently found out I have a wheat allergy. I also read wheat belly. Gluten free is one thing, but wheat has unique properties that create havoc in our bodies. It is not just about losing weight. Weight gain is just one of many horrible causes of a wheat diet, not necessarily gluten, which is found in other grains. I highly recommend reading this book to gain a better understanding. Anyhow... I find it interesting that many comments suggest there is no wheat in most beers. This is not true. I have begun the lengthy process of calling each company that I want to indulge in their beers and have asked. I explain... wheat free not gluten free. I explain my allergy. Some reps are confused, but I explain that I am just looking for the ingredient wheat. So far I have found these beers do have wheat: Sam Adams, Newcastle, Sierra Nevada, Corona. Coors and Coors Light do not. If you are not sure and you love that beer, then pick up the phone and ask. And by the way , I have been wheat free for 5 weeks and have never felt better. Obviously I am allergic... but others are having the same results by elimination. After one week I stopped craving it too... its addictive properties were out of my body. Yes, addictive! As addictive as narcotics... bet you didn't know that. Read Wheatbelly!

11. GMD

GMD Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014 Massachusetts

I am allergic to wheat too and I also have made calls to all of my favorite breweries. Everyone that I've called told me that unless the beer is a wheat beer (i.e. Sam Whitewater IPA or ColdSnap, Sierra Nevada Kellerweis, or DFH Blood Orange Hefeweizen) then it does NOT have any wheat in it. Did specific beers get mentioned or is it just part of their brewing process to use wheat?

12. UncleJimbo

UncleJimbo Grand Pooh-Bah (3,697) Sep 11, 2002 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Most of those you list are not beers. They are breweries that produce multiple beers. I find it hard to believe that every beer produced by Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada is brewed with wheat.

riemster and BrettHead like this.
  13. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I agree, on the Sierra Nevada beers. All that one has to do is look at the beers on the website, where it lists the ingredients.

14. Sipchue

Sipchue Pundit (808) Mar 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

So sorry. I thought the OP said "Want Free Beer?". That's why I clicked on it. Anyway, there are some good answers above. Glad to hear you're not seeking hop-free beers, 'cause that might be a little tougher.

UncleJimbo likes this.
  15. geocool

geocool Savant (1,209) Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

I think you probably got the "processed in a facility that also processes wheat" answer. You said you have an allergy, so for liability reasons they don't want to promise that there aren't trace amounts of wheat in their beers. That doesn't mean there's wheat in Boston Lager or Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I don't think wheat allergies are so severe that afflicted people have to avoid even the potential for trace amounts. Case in point, you have been allergic for a long time if not your whole life, but only wheat free for five weeks, and somehow still alive.

UncleJimbo likes this.
  16. yogaman28734

yogaman28734 Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014

Many of you don't understand the difference between food allergy and food intolerance, or the difference between wheat intolerance and gluten intolerance.

Laboratory testing shows that I need to strictly avoid wheat, but barley, rye, oats, and other grains are A-OK for me.

There should be complete transparency of food and beverage ingredients, period. Brewers should be required to list all ingredients on the label. Those who already do this voluntarily get my patronage.

17. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

Where a very high quality barley malt is used, some brewers find it helpful to add a small percentage of wheat to aid head retention.

18. rather

rather Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 California

wouldn't it be easier and better for the diet to avoid all beer?

19. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

From a low-carb dieting perspective, wheat is not any worse than any other grain. The reason those diets tell you to avoid wheat specifically is because 99% of the grain people eat is wheat. You haven't found a loophole by drinking wheat-free beer.

VictorWisc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.