What beers are common in Berlin?

Discussion in 'Germany' started by BeerBeerBeer, May 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerBeerBeer

BeerBeerBeer Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 Israel

I'm traveling to Berlin in August and I'm curious - what beers are the most common in Berlin?
    Is it easy to find some good wheat beers there?

2. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

Weihenstephaner has a restaurant in the Hackesher Markt (near the Museum Island) where their entire line-up is available. Weihenstephaner's dark hefe seems to be in at least a few restaurants around town. Retail-wise, I'm not entirely sure, probably the usual suspects (Paulaner, Franziskaner, et al). I assume most places would have Scheider Weisse's Tap 7, which is fairly common throughout Germany, but don't expect a generic beer store to have the Tap 5 (Hopfen Weizen) or even the Tap 6 (Aventinus) for example.

For some reason I see a lot of Augustiner's Dunkel up there, too. It is noticeable to me because I have never seen that for sale here in Heidelberg. Judging by the empty beer bottles I see rolling around the U-Bahn stations, Augustiner's Helles is also pretty popular up that way.

Berlin is my favorite city in the world. Have fun and happy hunting!

3. BeerBeerBeer

Thanks for the long comment.
    So you say that Schneider weisse tap 6 and 7 are pretty easy to find in Berlin?

4. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Maven (1,339) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I would expect Tap 7 to be widely available, but not Tap 6 or Tap 5. I could be wrong on any and all counts, though.

5. BeerBeerBeer

Okay, thanks for your help!

6. innominat

innominat Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2012 Ireland

http://www.ambrosetti.de/kontakt/
    Check here for an awesome collection of beer, very cheap too. When I was there they had tap 5 &6.
    Lots of german beer but some belgian too. Worth the trip as its prob the best beer store in Berlin.

7. BeerBeerBeer

Thanks! Looks like an amazing store, I'll go there :slight_smile:

8. Erzengel

Erzengel Zealot (523) Sep 8, 2008 Germany
    Trader

good decision :slight_smile: - I like their chaotic shop! Be sure to check the opening-times :slight_smile:
    [and for German beer prices, it is medium - not cheap :wink:]

9. innominat

innominat Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2012 Ireland

I visited from Ireland and was comparing to Irish prices and when you so that its a bargain:slight_smile:

10. LBerges

LBerges Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Germany

You can go to Berlin for Weiße from Bavaria. All major brands are available in Berlin (Schneider, Maisel, Weihenstephan, Andechser).
    But you should try a Wheat Beer that is made in Berlin.
    http://www.brauerei-flessa.de/produkte.html
    Flessa started last year, real craft, the Wheat/Weizen is excellent

boddhitree likes this.
  11. boddhitree

boddhitree Pooh-Bah (1,765) Apr 13, 2008 Germany
    Pooh-Bah

Damn, why didn't you tell me this when I was in Berlin this last April.

12. BeerBeerBeer

Well, comparing to Israel's beer prices it has to be cheaper - here you pay 3 Euros for 330ml Weihenstephan bottle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.