Washington Beer Open House this Saturday

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by BBThunderbolt, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

2. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Initiate (0) May 17, 2010 Oregon

Looks like I picked a good week to head up to Seattle.

3. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

If you're staying just in Seattle, I'd suggest Schooner Exact for the vertical of Hoppy the Woodsman and Big Time for cask Icculus. Black Raven is always worth the trip across the lake. And I'd suspect they'll pull some special treats out for this.

4. tcampbel1

tcampbel1 Initiate (0) May 17, 2010 Oregon

Suggestion noted. Thanks for the info. A lot has changed in the 5 years since I moved from Seattle to Portland.

5. rjfarel

rjfarel Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2009 Washington
    Deactivated

Beergrimage to Poulsbo broh!

6. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Fremont still has some Bourbon Abominable ($15 a bottle) which will probably sell out tomorrow during the open house.

7. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

$15 for Bourbon Abominable??? Christ I paid around $22 at Tacoma Boys! Maybe there are two versions?

8. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2011 Washington

Heh, didn't know this. I might stop in before work to snag some.

9. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

They had it on tap last Thursday along with the last round of bottles. I stopped in on Monday to pick up a hoodie and two bombers. They had four cases left at that point. No bottle limit, but no one should be "that guy" who buys them all.

That's the difference between buying at retail or direct from the brewery.

10. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2011 Washington

Naturally. I don't have the capacity to buy whole cases of things anyway. Probably just a couple bottles will do 'er. Thanks for the tip-off!

11. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Sure thing. Fremont is really good about letting people know about these things via their Twitter and Facebook feeds.

12. NWer

NWer Pooh-Bah (2,145) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

WA open house off to great start. Terry (beertunes) stellar at Boundary Bay. Chuckanut next.

13. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Initiate (0) May 13, 2010 Washington

Black raven is the place to be right now. Grandfather Raven imp stout, Coco Jones, Bourbon La Petite Mort, and Old Birdbrain on tap. I'm in heaven here.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  14. ScreamForMe

ScreamForMe Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2008 Washington

Don't forget the barrel samples - raw, straight from the barrels that Beaux was doing earlier today - hope you got some!

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  15. BBThunderbolt

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I just KNEW Black Raven would bust out some goodies today. Would have loved to have been there, and Schooner Exact, for the festivities. I had blast pouring for folks at BB today. It was fun seeing NWer. I hope we can grow WA Beer Open House into as big of an event as Zwiecklemania is for OR. There are still bottles of BBImpIPA available if anyone is interested.

ScreamForMe and NWer like this.
  16. NWer

NWer Pooh-Bah (2,145) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yesterday was one of those days when there was too much going on. Had to pick and choose.
    I am very happy with my choice to make the trek to Bellingham to Boundary Bay and Chuckanut.
    None other than the renowned beertunes pouring Dry Fly whiskey barrel aged Cabin Feaver then to top it off, a guided lecture of Chuckanut brewery by Will Kemper himself so detailed and full of information it made my head hurt - not to mention the generous tastes of the gold medal winning (@gabf) Kolsch.
    Too bad I missed out on Schooner Exact and Black Raven but I'm not complaining.

BBThunderbolt and Smurf2055 like this.
  17. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2011 Washington

My wife and daughter allowed me ~2 hours to sneak away on Saturday. I chose Black Raven and was not disappointed. Great beers on tap (Old Birdbrain, Grandfather Raven). Delicious meat & cheese spread. Barrel samples (BBA Imperial Stout, BBA Scotch, Cognac barrel wheat wine). Good conversation with brewers as well.

ETA:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. kevwcamp

kevwcamp Initiate (0) May 13, 2010 Washington

Nice pictures. I tried the Splinters (BBA Second Sight Scotch Ale) sample and a red wine barrel version of Second Sight.

I missed out on the BBA Imperial Stout sample, but I saw a barrel labeled Great Grandfather which is their stout aged in a 20-year Heaven Hill barrel. They did this for both the 2011 and 2012 Grandfather Raven releases. I also noted that Old Birdbrain, at least this year's version, is 46% aged in Rye Whiskey barrels.

ScreamForMe and BBThunderbolt like this.
  19. Arassuil

Arassuil Devotee (397) Jan 21, 2008 Australia

Damn! Black Raven Old Bird Brain & Grandfather Raven on tap at the same time! :astonished:
    I guess it's good I don't work just down Willows Road anymore... or IS IT!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.