Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Visiting Seattle and Portland

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by dauss, Feb 23, 2012.

1. dauss

dauss Advocate (655) Colorado Aug 9, 2003 Verified

So, I'm planning on flying into Seattle to meet up with a friend and driving down to Portland in Mid-March. I was thinking of spending the weekend(Friday-Monday) in Portland and spending the Monday-Wednesday in Seattle. I want to visit as many breweries and pubs as I can, any suggestions on the must visit places? Thanks.
  2. beertunes

beertunes Poobah (1,390) Washington Sep 24, 2007 Verified

In Seattle, Breweries to visit: Big Time, Fremont, Big Time, Big Al, Big Time, Naked City, Maritime Pacific and Big Time. Breweries whose beer to look for: Schooner Exact, Big Al, Odin, Boundary Bay, Anacortes, American, Diamond Knot, Skookum, Fremont, Two Beers, Lazy Boy, Black Raven, Chuckanut and Silver City. Bars to visit: Beveridge Place Pub, Collins Pub, Pike (also a brewery), Brouwers (be aware of potential service issues), Noble Fir, Uber, Duck Island, Naked City, Pub at Pipers Creek and The Dray. Most of the breweries have tasting rooms (if their not brewpubs) but hours vary. If you can get out of Seattle a visit to Diamond Knot and/or Black Raven is in order. Check these blogs for special events/releases as your visit approaches: http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/ and http://seattlebeernews.com/ . Enjoy your visit!
  3. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Savant (495) Washington Nov 12, 2011

For Seattle:

Brouwer's Cafe in Fremont is huge, has a big list of taps and an extensive bottle list, but is a bit on the pricey end.
    Bottleworks in Wallingford is owned by the same people as Brouwer's, it's a bottle shop with 9 taps.
    Fremont brewing is pretty close by, probably a 15-20 minute walk. You can also see the Troll under the Fremont bridge.
    Big Time in the U district is Seattle's oldest Brewpub, and is very consistent in their offerings.
    Uber Tavern in Greenwood is my go to spot. Cozy little bar with a decent bottle list and a pretty good selection of taps.
    Naked City in Greenwood is also a solid brewpub, with some really good guest handles.
    Chuck's in Greenwood is a spot good for local stuff, bottle shop with 23 taps.

In downtown, you can get to Pike brewery, The Taphouse, Elysian Fields, Colin's Pub, and Bambino's pretty easily. Seattle Taphouse has the biggest selection of taps, but nothing usually over the top. Pike Brewery is right by Pike Place Market, so worth the stop off. Bambino's is a pizzeria with a good craft beers on tap very close to the Space Needle. Elysian Fields is a brewpub by the stadiums (and I guess Pyramid brewery is right there too, not the best in the NW, but the biggest). Colin's pub is one of the better bars in the area.
    Just north on Capital Hill is a place called Stumbling Monk. Good value, and a focus on Belgium beers.

South Seattle might be a bit of a hike, but there are some cool places. Beer Junction in West Seattle is one of my favorite bottle shops. Beveridge Place Pub has a good line up and is a good place to watch some soccer. Further on down in White Center is Super Deli Mart. They have six taps and some pretty rare bottles that seem to stick around longer than at most other places. $10 growler fills on everything there, too. If you're willing to go even further south, there's a highly rated bottle shop in Federal Way called 99 Bottles.

If you can make it across the bridge to Redmond, you can stop off at Mac's and Jack brewery and a bottle shop called Malt and Vine. Malt and Vine does a good job with their taps as well.

The breweries aren't exactly my forte. Tried to divide everything up by general proximity. My top three bar suggestions are Uber, Brouwer's, and Big Time.
    julian likes this.
  4. kennyo

kennyo Savant (470) New York Jan 30, 2003 Verified

i might be in Seattle the last weekend of March, staying somewhere around 5th and Spring, near Pike I think. What is the easiest way to get around to other areas of Seattle to check out some of the above places? Anything that i can walk to, i will. I dont think that i will have access to a car.
  5. Smurf2055

Busses. http://tripplanner.kingcounty.gov/cgi-bin/itin_page.pl?resptype=U

It's probably a 10 minute bus ride to Capitol Hill for Stumbling Monk (I think you'll want a bus going towards Broadway), and a 15 minute to the U district for Big Time (71, 72, 73, 74 take you there). The 358 takes you on Aurora, and that will get you close to Fremont, Naked City, Chuck's, Brouwers, and Uber.
  6. beertunes

Seattle Metro buses ( http://metro.kingcounty.gov/ ) do a pretty decent job. All of downtown is walkable and it's a reasonable walk to Pioneer Square/SODO (stadium area) that's where you'll find Collins, Elysian Fields and Pyramid. Pike and Pine parallel each other and you can either get a work out in by walking up or take a bus up and walk back down.

One of my favorites is a Fremont/Ballard pub walk. Start at Fremont Brewing, hit Brouwers, maybe a couple of the bars on that strip, Hales Brewing, Maritime Pacific Brewing then a it's a short stroll to Ballard Ave. Noble Fir, Kings Hardware, Urban Family and a bunch of other bars/music venues are on the Ave. It totals to less than 5 miles of walking.
  7. Smurf2055

If I remember right, the bus tunnel takes you to the Stadium District for free.

My friend usually uses a bike for it, but he likes the Fremont/Hales/Maritime brewery tour too.

If you do take a bus to the U-district for Big Time, it's a College Ave, so it's mostly dive bars, but there are plenty of them. Really good German themed bar right across the street from Big Time is Schultzee's sausage. College Inn Pub is a few blocks south and has some good rotating taps. Good food and a decent selection of German brews. Further up North you can get to another German themed one called Bier Stube (that's Roosevelt and around 60th). Dante's (53rd and Roosevelt) has some decent local rotating crafts on tap, and it was Ted Bundy's hangout spot when he went to UW. Rat and Raven is on 55th and the ave, and also usually has some decent locals on tap. Like I said, they're college bars, but I enjoy them.
  8. beertunes

If you're at the bus tunnel, you're basically at Seahawks Stadium/Elysian Fields. College Inn often has Boundary Bay brews that don't hit other spots in Seattle (BB's owner is a Husky and there are BB specials before every home football game). An under-appreciated trip for visitors is over to West Seattle and a visit to Alki Beach. There are several good beer destinations over there as well.
  9. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,100) Colorado May 19, 2005 Verified

I'm going to jump onto this thread. Looks like we'll miss each other, David :(
    In April I'll be doing the same thing...although my brother lives in Olympia, so it might be an Olympia-Portland tour.

Would Portland be better during the week or weekend?
  10. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (575) Oregon Nov 9, 2009 Verified

Go for the weekend. HotD is only open wednesday (edit)-sunday and Upright is only open on weekends and before blazers games.
  11. Mebuzzard

Mebuzzard Poobah (1,100) Colorado May 19, 2005 Verified

Holy dog poo! Thanks for that! I would be soooo bummed if I missed HotD. whew :cool:
  12. Actually, HotD is Wednesday - Sunday (Dates/hours here are current: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/173 ), but the point is the same... weekend visit is 'better' for Portland
  13. Shmeal

Shmeal Advocate (575) Oregon Nov 9, 2009 Verified

Ah crap, you're right.