Visiting Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm

Discussion in 'Nordics' started by SlghtlyBzzd, Aug 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SlghtlyBzzd

SlghtlyBzzd Aspirant (228) Dec 9, 2014 Oregon
    Trader

Hey, my parents are traveling through Copenhagen, Oslo and Stockholm. They offered to pick me up some beer if I told them what I wanted and where to get it. Any help would be welcome. I'd obviously love some lambic but unfortunately, Brussels is not on their itinerary. Any chance there are bottle shops in these cities that regularly have Cantillon? Otherwise what do you recommend? I'm open to pretty much everything.

Thanks

2. pthread1981

pthread1981 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2007 Germany

When in Copenhagen, if they go to Mikkeller and Friends in Nørrebro (not the original bar in Vesterbro) there's a chance they may have some Cantillon. They also have a bunch of great beers otherwise, so can't go wrong with a trip there. If they're into coffee, coffee collective is just around the corner and is a great place to stop for a cup.

EDIT: just so it's clear, there's a bottle shop attached to the Mikkeller and Friends, it's not just a bar.

SlghtlyBzzd likes this.
  3. CaliSwede

CaliSwede Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Sweden

I'm afraid Copenhagen may be the best (read: only) bet. Both Sweden and Norway have state-run liquor monopolies -- no typical bottle shops. I can't speak for Oslo but no Systembolaget in Stockholm (or anywhere else in Sweden, according to the app) carries any Cantillon.

SlghtlyBzzd likes this.
  4. olradetbalder

olradetbalder Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Sweden

He is right, you are better off to try to trade with one of us if you really want some lambic.

5. Fill_It_or_Spill_It

Fill_It_or_Spill_It Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 New Jersey

What's the likelihood of finding someone with a blabaer or 50n4e willing to trade them? (Not necessarily both ). I'll be in Copenhagen in a few days hoping to find some cantillon, but from looking at a couple of forums it doesn't look like too many shops including olbutikken have any. Maybe posting an IP trade in the right spot is a better idea?

6. CaliSwede

CaliSwede Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Sweden

I'd suggest trying to set up an IP. I think Ølbutikken had something like 300 Blåbær bottles (some 750 mL, more 375 mL) for takeaway on the release date so I'm sure there are still a few floating around Copenhagen and elsewhere.

Good luck.

7. Pudgelife

Pudgelife Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2015 Illinois

the Mrs and I are heading to Copenhagen this October and I planned on swinging by to try Mikkeller for the first time. I have a question based on pthread's response
    Why the Norrobro location and not the Vesterbro bar? Any difference between the two bars?

8. Goudie

Goudie Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Northern Ireland

Check out Kihoskh near WarPigs, has an amazing beer selection. Looks like a 7/11 but has a complete basement of beer. Better selection in there than Mikkeller and friends.

WolfBrewer and Pudgelife like this.
  9. Pudgelife

Pudgelife Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2015 Illinois

Cheers Gouldie- I'll see if I can swing by there. Any good beers over there that you would esp recommend?

10. Goudie

To many to mention, between Mikkeller and Friends, Mikkeller bar, War Pigs and Fermentoren they have over 100 beers on draft the majority of which are awesome. Had everything from De Molen to Jester King when I was there. Would go back tomorrow.

11. pthread1981

pthread1981 Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2007 Germany

There are more taps at that location, as well as a pretty decently sized bottle shop.

12. WolfBrewer

WolfBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 23, 2015 Texas

The Vesterbro location is their flagship and is awesome as well. Aside from amazing tap list, both bars have an excellent bottle list for onsite consumption (prices are pretty high for vintage bottles, but better than the states). As mentioned above, M&F has a bottle shop next to the bar itself, offering bottles to go as well. The Vesterbro will most likely be the most convenient for you, but definitely take the bus or cab up to Nørrebro as it is a fun area in general. And Fermentoren is a must!

Ølbutikken is always worth a shot for lambics...sometimes for onsite only, but definitely stop in there.

13. interman

interman Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2010 Norway

Guess I'll chime in about Norway. In Oslo you'll want to go to Vinmonopolet Aker Brygge at Bryggegata 9. Vinmonopolet means wine monopoly, and is a chain of stores that carry all alcohol over 4.7%. You should be able to find some fun bottles there, and it seems they've got owa yuzu lambic and the horal mega blend in as far as fun sours go. More here http://www.vinmonopolet.no/vareutva...&page=7&filterIds=25;46&filterValues=Øl;s114s

As for bars you'll want to check out Cafe Sara, Schoukjelleren, the Brewdog bar, and Crowbar & Bryggeri - depending on where in Oslo you're going to be.

In Bergen, which is where I live you'll want to check out Vinmonopolet at Valkendorfsgaten 6, and as far as bars go you'll definitely want to go to Henrik at Engen 10, Una down at Bryggen, which is by the scenic area with lots of cute old houses, a fish market, etc. Do a quick hike up the nearby mountain Fløyen too, for a good view of the city and the surroundings. There's a fenicular that goes up and down too, if you're a bit lazy.

14. olradetbalder

olradetbalder Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2011 Sweden

If there does show up Cantillon at Ölbutikken it flyes of the shelves.
    I guess you need an IP to get Cantillon.

15. Fill_It_or_Spill_It

Fill_It_or_Spill_It Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2014 New Jersey

Is that the khioskh on sonder blvd?

16. Goudie

It is indeed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.