Visiting Cologne for 3 days/2 nights

Discussion in 'Germany' started by BuffaloBelgians, Aug 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BuffaloBelgians

BuffaloBelgians Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2005 New York

Hi, was looking for recommendations of bars/beer stores/and eateries in Cologne. We're staying at the Hilton near the train station. Would like to fit in a brewery tour, whichever is the easiest and best. Does Reissdorf, Sunner, and Gaffel hold tours to the public? Very hard to get information on that online. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance -

2. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Zealot (598) Jul 1, 2009 Scotland

The first thing you should do when you get off the train, even before you check in at your hotel, is go to Früh am Dom. It is literally two minutes walk from the station. Yes, it is crowded, touristy and expensive, but you will know you have arrived in Cologne.

Drinking in Cologne centres around two types of establishment: the Brauhaus and the Eckkneipe. The Brauhaus is a big place with waiters, Kölsch being tapped at high speed and hearty food. Eckkneipen are street-corner bars where you drop in for a quick beer and will probably be served by the owner. (It's also common to see people drinking Kölsch at a newspaper kiosk)

Sünner offers tours. EUR 9.80 per person, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. http://www.suenner-keller.de/brauereibesichtigung.html

The nanobrewery Braustelle in Ehrenfeld in the west of the city will probably be happy to show you around.

You should certainly visit Päffgen and Malzmühle anyway, and while there you can ask if they do tours.

3. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yes, yes, and yes.

4. boddhitree

boddhitree Pooh-Bah (1,765) Apr 13, 2008 Germany
    Pooh-Bah

Since you didn't search for this previous thread, I did it for you.
    Köln, near the Cologne Cathedral
    and
    Breweries in Cologne or Köln

Is it just me, or are we just repeating ourselves on these threads?

Nonetheless, below is new, great info by WhatANicePub:

5. cu29

cu29 Zealot (546) Sep 26, 2005 Wisconsin

You could take public transport and visit a brewery in nearby Frechen, which was recommended to me (and enjoyed by me) by a fellow BA member. Hüchelner Urstoff Brauhaus....www.das-urstoff.de
    I think they open at 5pm.
    Also, I think a new brewery/brewpub recently opened in Frechen, the Alter Bahnhof. I don't know anything about it, though.

6. boddhitree

Pooh-Bah

About brewery tours... after checking out each of the above websites, the results:
    Reissdorf: no tour on the website.

Gaffel: ditto

Päffgen: ditto

Mühlen: ditto

Sunner: You MUST make an appointment for the tour.
    This is the number to call: 0221 / 98 55 74 00. Drop the 0 and add country code 49 if calling from outside Germany. I would bet money the tour's only in German.

Braustelle (in Ehrenfeld, eastern part of Köln, which you can get to by subway line 3/4, Leyendeckerstrasse station or S-bahn.)
    Yes, they have tours. Costs 2.50€ with table reservation. Their contact page gives an
    Error 404.

7. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

8. boddhitree

Pooh-Bah

Yes, he's right. patto1ro, I've used your guides in Köln, Düsseldorf, Bamberg, & Frankfurt (and will for any other city I manage to visit in the future from you list!) I had a great time at the places you mentioned in Köln & Düsseldorf. Thank you, really, THANK YOU, I'm totally indebted to you and the work you did in putting them together. I also love the post: The German Reinheitsgebot - why it's a load of old bollocks. I use this every chance I get in Germany to argue vs. Germans "why (the RHG)...is a load of old bollocks," and..
    The Trouble with German Beer
    What's gone wrong?

Really, thank you! I hope you notice I linked to your page for on the other threads whenever the question comes up of what to do in Köln & Düsseldorf.

My only question: why haven't you dated the posts or allowed others to post their reviews of each place you mention? I wanted to comment on a few of the posts and add my 2 cents. Also, have you updated any of these? And when? That's unclear in the guides.

Bierman9 likes this.
  9. Koelschtrinker

Koelschtrinker Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2008 Germany

When are you visiting Köln?

10. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's a personal guiide. I only use other people's reviews for places I haven't visited myself (Kurzer in Dusseldorf is an example). Or unless somewhere has radically changed since my last visit. there's a date at the bottom of each page which tells you when the page was last updated. Dating the individual pub reviews is getting a bit complicated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.