Victory Alley Brewing Co. Lager

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Streaky, Jul 11, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

By all accounts a Citizen's Bank Park "exclusive". Does anyone know if this is the same as Victory Lager? I only had it once -- pretty tasty -- but I'm wondering if this is just a rebranded Victory Lager or is it actually a different recipe? There's no BA entry for it, just this on Untappd:

https://untappd.com/beer/335994

Anyone?

2. rotsaruch

rotsaruch Pundit (862) Jun 18, 2002 Pennsylvania

I regularly attend both Phillies home games and the Victory brewpub and have routinely sampled Victory Lager in many forms over the past 16+ years. I know from talking to the brewing staff at Victory that the current Victory Alley Brewing Lager is Victory's Lager, which was most recently called the All Malt Lager (a name I hated) and was originally known as Brandywine Lager. I believe the current style is a Helles.

As I understand, about three years ago, a brewing decision was made to "clean-up" and improve the overall aroma and flavor of the beer by using the German Kräusening brewing technique. This is the traditional method that German brewers use to carbonate their lager and wheat beers. Basically, the process consists of adding freshly fermenting wort to beer that is normally ready to bottle. Kräusening overcomes the problem of yeast going dormant during the secondary lagering phase of fermentation. It also helps clean up the flavor of the beer by reducing levels of diacetyl, acetaldehyde, and dries out the beer. I believe Victory adds small amount of fresh "green" Prime Pils wort to the secondary lagering tanks of the Victory lager. The result is a much cleaner, smoother and softer tasting version of Victory Lager.

I hope you continue to enjoy it. I know I do!

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

The Ally Brewing Lager is indeed the same beer as Victory Lager.

Thanks to rotsaruch for the information about the brewing process change that Victory made for the brewing of Victory Lager (i.e., Kräusening). This is the first time that I heard about Victory using the Kräusening technique. I wonder if they use this method for brewing other of their lagers?

Cheers!

4. Streaky

Streaky Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2013 New Jersey

Thanks for the answer -- and thanks for all that extra info! So awesome...Victory rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.