Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

Utopias in Denver?

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by Boozledooz, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Boozledooz

Boozledooz Initiate (0) Colorado Jul 8, 2011

Thought I might try to grab a bottle this year. Anybody seen it? Wonder if it will be on tap anywhere?
  2. poonamibaxter

poonamibaxter Savant (365) Colorado Jun 26, 2007

Don't think this makes it to tap. I got a bottle at Mr Bs but the two he had are long gone
    gklover1 likes this.
  3. Domingo

Domingo Poobah (1,135) Colorado Apr 23, 2005 Verified

Draft definitely exists (I've poured it) but I don't think it's common at all. They use kegs for events like GABF and the Rare Beer Tasting, though.
    I was wanting a bottle for myself, but missed out with the release at Lukas.
  4. kwijibo61

kwijibo61 Aficionado (190) Colorado Mar 9, 2008 Verified

Chambers in Aurora had like 7 bottles a week or so ago. $185. Also saw a post for Grape Expectations who just got theirs in the past couple days. Not sure how many they received or the price though.
  5. gklover1

gklover1 Savant (320) Colorado Oct 18, 2009 Verified

I know there was at least one at Hazel's in Boulder. Don't know if it is gone.
  6. Domingo

Hmmm...will explore Illiff and Chambers today. Not sure why I didn't think of them (I can walk there) but I didn't.
  7. drumrboy22

drumrboy22 Advocate (530) Colorado Jul 22, 2005 Verified

They got it last week and I'd be willing to bet they still have some.
  8. Domingo

Sweet. I finally got a check for selling my old iPhone, so the cost is a wash as far as I'm concerned.
    I've had it before and it's not the greatest thing ever, but I can imagine it'll make a fun cognac-like item to break out with guests.

MYJELLOMISFIT Initiate (0) Colorado Jan 14, 2007

We got it in... sold out in the same week.
    gklover1 likes this.
  10. Domingo

Chambers DOES have it, although they appeared to only have one bottle left.
    Looks like you get a "free" special glass with each bottle from Sam Adams, although you do have to pay $9 S&H.
    coreymcafee likes this.
  11. ssteigerwald

ssteigerwald Savant (410) Colorado Mar 4, 2010 Verified

Whaaaaaattt??? I bought Utopias from Chambers and was offered no such glass. :(
  12. Domingo

It's actually on the little hang-tag on the bottle. It has a code on it that you redeem at samadams.com for the value of the glass. You do still have to pay for shipping, though.
  13. ssteigerwald

Huzzah! Thanks, I need to check that when I get home! I do remember the tag, but didn't look at it too closely.
  14. mazerock

mazerock Aficionado (100) Colorado Jun 13, 2012

Parker Payless got 4 more bottles as of today..
  15. Lurch69

Lurch69 Aficionado (110) Texas Feb 8, 2011 Verified

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but has anyone seen Utopias recently in Denver? Ideally 2012. Thanks!
  16. mrcraft

mrcraft Champion (990) California Dec 15, 2012 Verified

You may want to call your local Costco's. They've been showing up at various Costco's around the country at a really low price. Not sure what vintage though.
  17. belgbeerdrinker

belgbeerdrinker Advocate (640) Colorado Sep 24, 2005 Verified

total bev in westminster beer guy asked me if i was interested in some on fri. have to ask 4 it as wasnt displayed
  18. spoony

spoony Advocate (715) Colorado Aug 1, 2012 Verified

Mr. B's said they got some late last week. I'm not sure if it is still there or what vintage.
  19. chango

chango Savant (305) Colorado Mar 31, 2006

We've got it in the 'Ranch. Hit me up if'n you want one.
  20. Domingo

So, is Boston Beer just releasing a second shipment of 2012's or are these a new batch?
  21. ssteigerwald

I though 2012 was a special 10th anniversary release and that 2013 is the normally scheduled bi-yearly release?
    coreymcafee likes this.
  22. DenverBeerDrinker

DenverBeerDrinker Savant (440) Colorado Apr 5, 2012 Verified

New bottles say 2013 on the bottom so it's a new batch
  23. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

Okay, so reading through the replies in here, I'm not sure what's going on (2012 or 13? Price? Can I reserve it? etc...)! I have a friend interested I this so if anyone can point me in the right direction. I live in Ft. Collins, but I'm in Denver at least once a week. Any help is appreciated. Cheers
  24. Destral

Destral Savant (410) Nevada Oct 20, 2009 Verified

Correct. The normal release just came out. Its 28% this year and they blended in Kosmic Mother Funk into this years batch. It already hit Nevada, so I'm sure its landed or will soon in CO.
  25. Chambers has it. $185.

Edit: Is this really worth it? I mean, $185 for a beer??? It makes the Crooked Stave Reserve price increase seem reasonable.
  26. tacosandbeer

tacosandbeer Advocate (575) Colorado Sep 24, 2010 Verified

How do you figure? What did Utopias sell for last year ;-)
  27. SalukiAlum

SalukiAlum Advocate (550) Colorado Dec 19, 2010

'Is this really worth it' can be said about many things in this world. I can't afford it, but know some people that make $185 in an hour of work.
  28. Schmittymack

Schmittymack Advocate (515) Colorado Sep 3, 2008 Verified

I know that the 2011 was offered to me (in 2011) for $199.99 plus CO state sales tax. I got mine in Chicago as it was about $40 cheaper there that year. Don't know if I'll bite this year (didn't do last year's special release, either) as I still have two unopened bottles of Utopias and a few ounces left of another. Funds not as good as they once were and the cellar is big enough as it is............
  29. Domingo

It's tough to say if it's worth the price, but at the very least - it's not a beer you have to open and finish in one sitting or weekend. You can keep it indefinitely and it drinks far closer to liqueur than a beer.
    I went for the anniversary blend and I'm not sure I'd get another one...but I don't regret buying it.
    If you're really curious, they pour it at a couple different events during GABF. I'm sure it pops up at tastings here and there, too.
    MighHighBrewer and SalukiAlum like this.
  30. Lurch69

Lurch69 Aficionado (110) Texas Feb 8, 2011 Verified

Thanks for all the info guys, I picked up a bottle yesterday!
  31. lump532

lump532 Aficionado (105) Colorado Aug 2, 2013

Any bars serving it? I don't want a whole bottle, but would love to try it.
  32. MarkyMOD

MarkyMOD Advocate (705) Colorado Apr 5, 2012 Verified

Hazel's might have one left. Beer guy told me five of them went in four days. That's pretty surprising/impressive to me for a beer of that price. Still holding out for when I see it on draft (friend got a few ounces for ~$20, said it was the only good beer they had... maybe only the best Sam Adams accounts get it?)
  33. chango

chango Savant (305) Colorado Mar 31, 2006

If anyone is headed up to Big Beers in Vail this winter, they usually have it there for sampling.
    coreymcafee likes this.
  34. Mulligank

Mulligank Initiate (15) Colorado Sep 13, 2013

Applejack has plenty for all.
  35. chicano4craft

chicano4craft Savant (320) Colorado Apr 18, 2009

There's a bottle of last years release at Vern's in Wheat Ridge.