Using campden tablets to take out chloramines

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by BedetheVenerable, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BedetheVenerable

BedetheVenerable Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2008 Missouri

I have an activated charcoal filter, through which I'll run my (quite hard and very alkaline) water through slowly to remove chlorine. I believe it's something like 1/4 to 1/3 campden tablet, ground, to treat 7ish gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch, right? When and how do I treat the water, and does it need to sit for awhile, etc? I'm planning on brewing a stout (which is, it looks like, one of the few things my water might be good for w/out treatment).

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

One tablet per 20 gallons. When I treat my tap water (not often, because I usually build from distilled), I treat it and let it sit while I mill my grains, which takes a little while because I don't motorize my mill. But I think the reactions are almost instant.

3. inchrisin

inchrisin Pooh-Bah (2,013) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

Can someone please crush up a campden tablet and measure it out in tsp for me 0 :slight_smile: All I have left is the powder from breaking all of mine in half. It's got to be about 1/4 tsp -1/2tsp for a whole tablet, right?

4. JimSmetana

JimSmetana Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Illinois

Per Palmer "Campden tablets are used in winemaking and should be available at your homebrew supply shop. One tablet will treat 20 gallons, so use only a quarter or half of the tablet to help it dissolve"

5. marquis

marquis Pooh-Bah (2,301) Nov 20, 2005 England
    Pooh-Bah Society

It's reassuring to know that a slight excess isn't any sort of problem , if you use a whole tablet you won't cause the sky to fall in!

6. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Maven (1,397) Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

What's the 'equivalent' dose that is used in wine that causes headaches?

7. ericj551

ericj551 Pooh-Bah (1,638) Apr 29, 2004 Canada (AB)
    Pooh-Bah

I think the dosing for wine is 1 tablet per gallon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.