Trip to IA: Toppling Goliath

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by mjchapley, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mjchapley

mjchapley Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Minnesota

Hi All,

I am going to be heading down the Waterloo, IA for work on Friday and driving back later on that day. Is Toppling Goliath worth stopping at on the way back? Based on everything I read, yes.

Any suggestions on growlers I should bring back?

Cheers

BeerGuyEsquire and kendrahayes like this.
  2. Guzzi

Guzzi Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2011 Iowa

Toppling Goliath is worth the trip, sample a few beers while you are there and grab a Growler of whatever you like the most. You can't go wrong with psudoSue.

The people there are very nice too, stop in and chat awhile if you have time.

3. Cyclone8

Cyclone8 Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

In a word, yes. In another, more descriptive word, IFYOUAREANYWHEREINTHEVICINITYOFDECORAHIOWAANDYOUDONOTSTOPATTOPPLINGGOLIATHYOUAREANIDIOT!!! They are wonderful. Get a flight or two - the only trouble will be deciding which growler(s) to bring back!

djschnabel likes this.
  4. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (9,502) Apr 18, 2007 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

!00% yes as far as growlers Psuedo Sue and golden nugget those are the 2 that i have had both great

5. mjchapley

mjchapley Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 Minnesota

Well sounds like I would be pretty dumb if I don't stop in there so looks like I will have something to look forward to on the ride home.

6. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

If you are going anywhere near Decorah on your way, yes, you'd be dumb not to stop. Sue is a must. Golden Nugget is as well. Hell, try everything you can.

kendrahayes likes this.
  7. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Canada (YT)

Get some sr-71, stuffs legit

8. BrettHead

BrettHead Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

you'd be crazy not to

TheBushman, TomClem and tgchief like this.
  9. tgchief

tgchief Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Iowa

Sorry to say that we may be out of pseudoSue in our taproom brewery, however, we should have Pompeii (Mosaic IPA) to take it's place as we wait patiently for the nest batch of Sue. We also have some small batch, dark ale and RIS that is worth the trip for. You can not get the SR-71 bbstout anywhere yet, and Assassins Shadow is a fun dark ale made with the final running of our Assassin 2014, which went into Pappy VW barrels.

But the best part about stopping is you! Give us your honest opinions, we listen.

Travel safe and Cheers!

10. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

It is worth a stop x1000! If you want to get any swag like a t-shirt, good luck. I buy a t-shirt and pint glass from every brewery I visit and I've struck out every single time there on the shirts.....though I almost pulled the trigger on a medium once, it was a bit tight on my massive beer lifting arms....:wink:

11. deadbody

deadbody Initiate (0) May 10, 2010 Minnesota
    Trader

No self-respecting beer drinker can wear a medium shirt, unless they are under 4 feet tall.

So are you a filthy, drug-peddling midget? Or are you lying to us about your ability to fit into a medium shirt?

BeerGuyEsquire likes this.
  12. tgchief

tgchief Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Iowa

We have them both now. Hop Patrol pint glasses and long sleeve Hop Patrol tee shirts! We usually only have time to make beer, not clothes :wink:.

TomClem and jlpred55 like this.
  13. jlpred55

jlpred55 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2006 Iowa

Complete lie! HAHA.

minnesotaryan and tgchief like this.
  14. tewaris

tewaris Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

Since this thread is already up, I have a couple questions regarding Decorah:

* Places to stay the night?
    * Places worth checking out (mostly food related)?
    * Vegetarian options?

Thanks!

15. jawzman

jawzman Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Minnesota

I've made the trek many times. We stayed at many places, from the historic Winneshek (sp) to the Country Inn, the lodging is straight forward. Food has some options, with my favorite being Bistro La Rana. Ever changing, very good bistro fare and they always have Golden Nugget on tap...

16. tewaris

tewaris Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

Thank you.

17. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Initiate (0) Feb 22, 2013 Iowa

Went to El Bait Shop last night - all out of Pseudo Sue but enjoyed a Golden Nugget. Had to get a growler to go... Love the TG beers!

jlpred55, tgchief and BrettHead like this.
  18. copslovebeer

copslovebeer Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2012 Minnesota

Mabes Pizza FTW. No joke that place is to pizza what TG is to beer.

Hopsiam14, jlpred55 and BrettHead like this.
  19. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa

Hmmm....they must have tapped a fresh keg sometime after then, as I enjoyed 2 pints of Sue at El Bait last night.

BrettHead likes this.
  20. youngac

youngac Crusader (496) Jul 14, 2005 North Carolina

Stop thinking and make sure you stop at TG. A very special brewery about to explode!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.