1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
Save $5 when you subscribe to 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine and select auto-renew.

Subscribe now →
Dismiss Notice
Join Our Email List →

And we'll send you the latest updates and offers from BeerAdvocate, because knowing is half the battle.
Dismiss Notice

Pre-order your Respect Beer "Hipster" Hoodie today!

Plus: Free shipping (US only) on orders of $25 or more until 12/18/15. Just select "Free Shipping" at checkout.

Shop now →

trade value of beer when....

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk & Help' started by bman_85, Feb 14, 2013.

1. bman_85

bman_85 Savant (325) Wisconsin Sep 10, 2012

2. MordorMongo

MordorMongo Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009

If you all want a serious laugh, here ya go. As a kid I played about every sport. Decided to get into card collecting in the late 70's, early 80's. Well everyone was collecting baseball and basketball and football cards but man I was a rebel so I decided I would collect nothing but hockey cards because as everyone knows hockey kicks ass. To this day I have literally a truck bed full of hockey cards. Value of entire collection? 78 cents.
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  3. bman_85

I will trade you 7.8 oz of bcbs for the entire lot.
  4. Squidly

Squidly Savant (460) New Jersey Nov 26, 2006

Cards of all types make the SAME exact enjoyable "Thhpppppppt" sound when mounted with a clothespin into the spokes of your bike. #oldstermemory
  5. jriggins6

jriggins6 Savant (385) Colorado May 18, 2011 Verified

I have had 2... Both at the same Whole Foods. Bought a Older Viscosity and it rang up $3.99. I asked if that is the correct price and she said yes. So I went back and grabbed 6 more. On the other occasion saw they had gotten some CBS and grabbed one and it rang up $7.99, went back and grabbed the last 3 bottles. I asked... She answered... I bought!!!
    JulianB and WassailWilly like this.
  6. If you get a good deal on an item that is trading big go for it ..
    add some extras and do the trade
  7. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Savant (320) Wisconsin Apr 27, 2009 Verified

Actually most people on BA give stores shit for overcharging on beers. What you did was essentially the same as the stores that overcharge. It is dishonest to buy something when you know the price is absurdly under priced without it explicitly being on sale or you notifying them.
  8. When bourbon county cherry was released I went to the local woodmans and they had three left, I asked the guy for all three, two night stalkers, and a bottle of balvenie 18. He rang it all up and I paid. When I got home and looked at the reciept, I came to find out he only charged me 8.99/each for the night stalkers AND the cherries.

When I went back next time, I let the regular guy know what happened and he said "it was my lucky day" and there was nothing he could do.
    JohnfromPurdue likes this.
  9. bman_85

so i am supposed to let them know when they are under on the price? Is there a certain price point ($16,$17,$18...) at which it would have been morally ok to purchase the beer or would i be obligated to tell them the price that others charge for it and pay that?

the beer wouldn't scan so it was not in their system which means they probably never ordered it. For all i know it got lost in the shuffle when they delivered the beer and the store i bought it from didn't even pay for it and it is 100% profit for them. And further more, knowing they sold some the night before, when my wife went back they set the price at 8.99. Who knows how they came up with that price but if they would have paid for the case they would have never set it at that price. Or they got it for really cheap and added their standard markup to make it 8.99 in which case me paying 4.99 for the first 2 didn't hurt them too badly.

never intended for this to turn into a analysis of peoples moral compass.

moving on....
    MarkIntihar likes this.
  10. whiskey

whiskey Advocate (525) California Feb 25, 2012 Verified

So if the beer guy is stupid it's wrong to buy it, but if he's really stupid it's ok? Him coming back and confirming the obvious wrong price makes it ok?

So you're just a little more ethical than the OP? Wouldn't the actual ethical thing to do would be to say, "Hey, these easily go for $20 everywhere else, you most likely paid way more than $4.99 for this wholesale, let me pay you what they're worth."?
  11. yojimbo1

yojimbo1 Aficionado (220) Kansas Feb 26, 2012

I always try to stop other people from buying mispriced items as well. In fact I just camp out in front of said item.