Top places Portland maine to visit

Discussion in 'New England' started by SirHefeweizen, Sep 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirHefeweizen

SirHefeweizen Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 Massachusetts

Hey all, I'm on a late vaca to southern maine for the week and I wanted help with some good bottle shops. I plan on stopping at oxbow but I wasn't sure where else to go for some Lunch or Bissel brothers. Anyone have any idea?
    Thanks!

2. alex_delany

alex_delany Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2015 New York

Hit the breweries! The Whole Foods in Portland has a pretty fantastic selection too, and it's within walking distance to Rising Tide Brewing. Also, Novare Res is a must-hit in terms of bars.

BranfordBound likes this.
  3. Craftonly23121

Craftonly23121 Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2011 Rhode Island

Hit up 1 Industrial Way, Portland, Maine. Bissell Brothers, Foundation Brewing, Austin Street Brewery and Allagash is across the street. All in walking distance. Enjoy!

4. jhavs

jhavs Grand Pooh-Bah (3,551) Apr 16, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Also, Craft Beer Cellar in the old port is worth a look. They get all the MBC, some Bissell Bros. and all the usual suspects. I love the 1 industrial way trio! Definitely worth a visit!
    Barreled Souls in Saco is worth a trip too.

5. eb1610

eb1610 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

The Bier Cellar is the best bottle shop in town. Also, I would take the extra time and visit Oxbow's Newcastle location. Well worth the drive north

6. BierCellar

BierCellar Devotee (327) Apr 5, 2012 Maine

We get Bissell Brothers drops every Tuesday, they have a list on their website of who gets cans: http://www.bissellbrothers.com/find-cans/.

As far as MBC Lunch, that one is more a crap shoot. Haven't seen it since late July, best bet is probably the brewery itself, but you never know, it might pop in to retailers any time. Enjoy Portland.

jhavs likes this.
  7. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

Any tips on an in&out visit to Bissell on a Thursday? Heading up to Millonocket for a Katahdin summit on Friday and even a noon stop in Portland is pushing it...

8. jhavs

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My post was incorrect, I got Substance at Bier Cellar, not Craft Beer Cellar when I was in Portland in July.

9. Bobbart3

Bobbart3 Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2015 Maine

If you go to barreled souls you'd be dumb not to go to banded horn just 10 minutes south of there.

Sheppard likes this.
  10. Ericness

Ericness Zealot (622) Nov 21, 2012 Massachusetts

+1 on this. Stopped by there last weekend and had a great time. The Allagash facility was really nice, and free for tours and sampler flight.

11. WarbyJones

WarbyJones Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2014 New Hampshire

Don't forget about the Oxbow Barrel and Blending room on Washington Ave, same offerings as New Castle... much easier to get to.

Janeinma likes this.
  12. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Weird, Mass. received a Lunch shipment this week I think. Saw some at my corner liquor store last night, along with A Tony Beautiful Something.

13. jhavs

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yeah, we had Lunch in NH and VT last week. Got a few bottles at local gas station in NH which carries the MBC line and in VT at Beverage Baron in Barre. It has been on tap a lot recently too. Had in Brooklyn in July, Mahopac NY in July, Bradford VT in the end of August. I was mad when Mo kicked, then the guy said replacing it with Lunch, win!

14. DoctorD

DoctorD Initiate (0) May 20, 2015 Maine
    Trader

Check the dates on the bottles - at my local shop in southern Maine they frequently have MBC that was bottled within the past 3-4 days. Usuallly a week or two later I see posts on Facebook from stores in Mass (Julio's, Redstone, CBC) noting they just got a fresh batch of MBC in, so I am guessing there is a week or two delay in the distribution to other states in New England.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.