Tomme Arthur Showed Up at Our Lost Abbey Tasting!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by starrdogg, Jul 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

So my friend raveskdr and I held a tasting of rare Lost Abbey beers yesterday in DC that had been in the works for months. We posted on BA several times looking for people who wanted to contribute to the tasting and got contacted by some random guy named Chris in San Diego, who had just joined BA, who said he was going to be coming to DC for work and would love to join us. We even moved the tasting to a different day to accommodate him since he offered to bring both Veritas 004 and Isabelle Proximus. Honestly we had our doubts about whether this guy actually existed, but figured what the hell, might as well give it a go.

Fast-forward a couple of months to yesterday. This guy wearing a Lost Abbey shirt and wielding a fancy camera showed up at our door with Veritas 004 and Isabelle. He introduced himself as Ryan, not Chris, and while I thought something fishy was up, he had the right beers so I was willing to let it slide. We opened up a couple of beers and suddenly there was a loud knock on the door. We all looked around confused - we weren't expecting anyone else for the tasting. Was it the cops? Had Chris/Ryan called some guys over to rob us? Raveskdr opened the door and his jaw literally dropped to the floor - outside were Gwen and Tomme from Lost Abbey! And Tomme was carrying a huge box of beer!

As he walked inside we all stared in disbelief. Was this really happening? Could this be real? I'm not even sure any of us said hi as they walked through the living room into the kitchen. Then he asked us if we wanted to drink some Yellow Bus and Veritas 005! Now I knew I had to be dreaming. Tomme, Gwen and Ryan ended up hanging out with us for about 3 hours while drinking beers, chatting and watching some soccer. They brought an insane amount of beer on top of the 15-20 bottles we already had lined up for the tasting. They were super nice and we had an amazing time.

So yeah, I'm kind of bragging, but I also just wanted to note what an amazing experience this was. I mean, the Lost Abbey crew literally flew out to DC, a market they don't even distribute to, JUST for this tasting and to hang out. It's one of the coolest things that's ever happened and they deserve a ridiculous amount of praise for this. I know Lost Abbey may have its haters, but they certainly earned some fans for life yesterday.

dc55110, yamar68, somenerd and 104 others like this.
  2. YaKnowBrady

YaKnowBrady Pundit (809) Jul 23, 2010 New Jersey

And then you woke up, and saw you had wet the bed.

But seriously, awesome story. I wish random brewmasters would show up to my house with cases of wales.

3. gn0sis

gn0sis Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2007 Massachusetts

Pics or it didn't happen.

4. danieelol

danieelol Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2010 Australia

That's awesome

Lost Abbey get so much shit on here yet many of their beers are ridiculously good, hard to reconcile for me

5. CEnterPound

CEnterPound Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2011 California

Awesome story. I remember him tweeting that he was crashing a tasting, but didn't really realize that it was yours. Tomme's always been cool to e whenever I've talked to him.

6. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Whoa, that is ridiculously awesome!

7. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Pooh-Bah (2,215) Mar 17, 2009 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

But Tomme's twitter tho.

8. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Pictures or it never happened.

9. FlssmrBrewAlum

FlssmrBrewAlum Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 Illinois

Actually saw that dialogue on Twitter yesterday.. fun to follow.

10. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Hope you said "If these aren't carbonated, I'm kicking you right the fuck out!"

11. gn0sis

gn0sis Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2007 Massachusetts

I don't use twitter, but a simple google search revealed that "TheTomme" went beast mode on that tasting.

That said, I'd still like to see a pic of the final lineup (and/or Tomme drainpouring v003 into his mouth). /morbidcuriosity

12. Soontir

Soontir Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2011 New York

Wow! Thats really awesome.
    Here's Tomme's twitter feed, looks like there are some fun pictures in there from your event.
    https://twitter.com/#!/TheTomme

13. harrymel

harrymel Initiate (0) Dec 15, 2010 Washington

That's fucking gangster there.

14. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

Super awesome. I assume they will be hanging out in town till the 4th?

15. starrdogg

They actually said they're leaving this afternoon. They were going to hang out at DC Brau this morning and then heading to the airport.

16. ShanePB

ShanePB Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I was just about to say the exact same thing...

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  17. starrdogg

So I didn't take a single picture with them there (probably because I was in shock), but I know some people did, and I will post some pics when others send them to me. I hope someone got the final lineup at the end too - it was probably the most preposterous tasting lineup there ever was, or damn close to it. We basically had every Lost Abbey beer you can think of with the exception of Veritas 001 and 002.

Edit: Here's a picture of the lineup, though I'm pretty sure Chris was drunk when he took this since a number of the bottles are obscured from view (and I'm pretty sure a few things are missing like Cable Car, DDG, etc.) : https://twitter.com/raveskdr/status/219793950578442240/photo/1/large

muletrane likes this.
  18. Eriktheipaman

Eriktheipaman Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2010 California

Ah well, sweet none the less!

19. VncentLIFE

VncentLIFE Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 North Carolina

His twitter feed was blowing up about a tasting, but I didnt expect it to be this. Wow, what an awesome guy!

20. peteinSD

peteinSD Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2010 California

very cool! which beers stood out for you OP?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.