The Averagely Perfect American IPA Project - The Recipes

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by VikeMan, Mar 10, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

For those not familiar, this post relates to this thread and the ensuing polls...
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/the-averagely-perfect-american-ipa-project.59552/

Averagely Perfect American IPA Project Recipe 1: PELLET HOP version

Targets:
    5 Gallons into Fermenter (5.18 gallons including trub prior to xfer to fermenter)
    Target ABV: 6.5%
    Target OG: 1.062
    Target FG: 1.012
    Mash Efficiency: 70%
    Apparent Attenuation: 81%
    Recommended Mash Temp: 151F
    Ferment at 66F
    64 IBUs (per Tinseth Calc)

Grain Bill:
    Two-Row Brewer's Malt - 11.78 lbs
    Crystal 40 - 0.64 lbs
    Carapils - 0.38 lbs

Hop Schedule:
    60 Minutes
    --Magnum, 14% AA, 0.11 oz
    15 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.5 oz
    --Centennial, 11.5% AA, 0.5 oz
    --Cascade, 5.9% AA, 0.5 oz
    10 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.5 oz
    5 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.75 oz
    Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand
    --Simcoe, 1.0 oz
    --Centennial, 0.75 oz
    --Cascade, 0.75 oz
    Dry Hop
    --Simcoe, 1.25 oz
    --Centennial, 1.0 oz
    --Cascade, 1.0 oz

Yeast: Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05

Extract with Steeped Grains Option:
    Steep the Crystal 40 for 30 minutes at 155F. Replace the Two Row Brewer's Malt and the Carapils with 6.8 lbs of Briess Golden Light DME, added at beginning of the boil. (The reason the DME replaces both the Two-Row and the Carapils is that the DME contains Carapils.)

Notes:
    - This recipe is for 5 gallons of wort going into the fermenter. With such a massive hopload, absorption matters, and it affects a lot of things. Read on.
    - This version of the recipe assumes pellet hops, with a 10% bonus utilization due to pellet form, and a wort absorption of 3.2 ounces wort per ounce of hops. The Standard Tinseth formula assumes leaf hops (without the 10% bonus utilization.) If you will use pellets, but don't believe in the pellet bonus (or believe in a different bonus), adjust. YMMV.
    - I used my own boil off rate (in conjunction with hop wort absorption) to determine a starting wort volume, which impacts hop utilization. YMMV. Adjust as necessary. Use your software. You paid for it. If it's freeware, good luck!
    - Anything you change that relates to absorption will change the total fermentables you need to get out of your mash. So you may need to adjust the grain bill up/down.
    - If your hops have different Alpha Acid percentages, adjust as necessary.
    - This recipe assumes 70% Mash Efficiency, a little higher than BYO recipes (for example) assume, but probably closer to the average efficiency on this forum based on what I've seen over the years. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.

--------------------------------------------
    --------------------------------------------

Averagely Perfect American IPA Project Recipe 2: WHOLE LEAF Hop version

Targets:
    5 Gallons into Fermenter (5.47 gallons including trub prior to xfer to fermenter)
    Target ABV: 6.5%
    Target OG: 1.062
    Target FG: 1.012
    Mash Efficiency: 70%
    Apparent Attenuation: 81%
    Recommended Mash Temp: 151F
    64 IBUs (per Tinseth Calc)

Grain Bill:
    Two-Row Brewer's Malt - 12.42 lbs
    Crystal 40 - 0.675 lbs
    Carapils - 0.405 lbs

Hop Schedule:
    60 Minutes
    --Magnum, 14% AA, 0.26 oz
    15 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.5 oz
    10 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.5 oz
    5 Minutes
    --Simcoe, 13% AA, 0.75 oz
    Flameout/Whirlpool/Hopstand
    --Simcoe, 1.0 oz
    --Centennial, 0.75 oz
    --Cascade, 0.75 oz
    Dry Hop
    --Simcoe, 1.25 oz
    --Centennial, 1.0 oz
    --Cascade, 1.0 oz

Yeast: Wyeast 1056/WLP001/US-05

Extract with Steeped Grains Option:
    Steep the Crystal 40 for 30 minutes at 155F. Replace the Two Row Brewer's Malt and the Carapils with 7.2 lbs of Briess Golden Light DME, added at beginning of the boil. (The reason the DME replaces both the Two-Row and the Carapils is that the DME contains Carapils.)

Notes:
    - This recipe is for 5 gallons of wort going into the fermenter. With such a massive hopload, absorption matters, and it affects a lot of things. Read on.
    - This version of the recipe assumes whole leaf hops, with a wort absorption of 8 ounces wort per ounce of hops. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.
    - I used my own boil off rate (in conjunction with hop wort absorption) to determine a starting wort volume, which impacts hop utilization. YMMV. Adjust as necessary. Use your software. You paid for it. If it's freeware, good luck!
    - Anything you change that relates to absorption will change the total fermentables you need to get out of your mash. So you may need to adjust the grain bill up/down.
    - If your hops have different Alpha Acid percentages, adjust as necessary.
    - This recipe assumes 70% Mash Efficiency, a little higher than BYO recipes (for example) assume, but probably closer to the average efficiency on this forum based on what I've seen over the years. YMMV. Adjust as necessary.

2. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior Grand Pooh-Bah (3,326) May 21, 2010 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Society

Great job man!

Lucky for me, since I've already brewed it, my recipe almost perfectly matches yours. :grinning:

Except for the one substitution I made (bravo for magnum, due to "remembering error") :rolling_eyes:

3. geneseohawk

geneseohawk Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2008 Illinois

how did it turn out?

4. AlCaponeJunior

Pooh-Bah Society

Well, it's been in the fermenter for a whole day now. So we'll just wait and see. :stuck_out_tongue:

5. samtallica

samtallica Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2010 North Carolina

Already ordered grain and have the hops on hand. Will probably be brewing on the 20th. Excited to share bottles.

SABERG likes this.
  6. psnydez86

psnydez86 Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

So am I the only guy priming with green apple?

pweis909 likes this.
  7. AlCaponeJunior

Pooh-Bah Society

I voted for watermelon. Duh! :sunglasses:

pweis909 likes this.
  8. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

Don't expect to be brewing until the end of April. I'll have a chance to adjust based on the early buzz.

9. good_gracious

good_gracious Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 Maryland

I should have asked this earlier, and perhaps it's self-evident, but what about length of time for dry hopping? Is this one of those system dependent / personal preference deals?

10. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Yep. But personally I will probably dry hop for about 5 days.

11. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Pooh-Bah (2,502) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Pooh-Bah

I will dry hop for 5 days at room temp, or depending on time/space/mood I will dry hop for 12 days at keg temps while carbing.

12. good_gracious

good_gracious Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 Maryland

Thanks -- it'll be interesting to see how different DH methods might affect taste.

While I'm asking too-late questions, what about carbonation? At this point I'm guessing we'd stick to general style guidelines, but maybe people have specific preferences for their IPAs

13. sergeantstogie

sergeantstogie Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Washington

Hey this thread got shorter!

LAWbrewing likes this.
  14. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

I may actually never get around to brewing this, but we will see. I have a 10 gallon batch that needs to be done this weekend to fill fermenters. Then the next two batches are (Shut Up About Barclay Perkins recipes) for Fullers XX (1920) and Whitbread Oat Mild (1943), as a friend and I are doing the May education topic on milds at our homebrew club meeting.

Maybe this summer, I do have the recipe saved in Hopville as well as the ingredients needed.

dmtaylor likes this.
  15. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Is there any way you could BM me the recipe or link for that Oat Mild? Sounds very interesting.

16. mnstorm99

Here is the link to the Barclay Perkins site for this beer: http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2010/01/lets-brew-wednesday-1843-whitbread-oat.html

Also, here is the link I am using for the invert sugar: http://www.unholymess.com/blog/beer-brewing-info/making-brewers-invert
    I am not sure yet if I am going to make the sugar or use the corn syrup method (which I have heard good things about.

Also, my buddy has had some conversation with Kristen England regarding this project and Mr. England cautions on the use of mild malt in several cases. He doesn't seem to think the modern version brings much to the party. He instead suggests using a 50/50 vienna and munich malt mix.

17. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Thanks for the links!

I've recently been drinking a Mild I brewed with Briess Mild Malt... The Briess malt by itself really doesn't seem to do much flavor wise, but is very dextrinous (both in tasting the grain and in the mild; its freakin' chewy, even at 3.8%). Thankfully, the beer had a large amount of specialty malt that saved it from being bland. When I do get around to brewing this (ca 3-4 months; post thesis), will do two batches using the Vienna-Munich split and a batch with Mild Malt for comparison.

EDIT. It is awesome in the description of the beer that they quote "Raw Bread Dough" as the main flavor, as its fermented with S-04/Whitbread yeast, as this is the main flavor I always associate with S-04.

18. mnstorm99

Since I have it on hand I'll be using WLP007 for this one, so I wonder if I'll lose a bit of that character. I agree, S-04 is still the breadiest yeast I have used. We'll see what I do, we just want to present a few examples of the history of milds to go with the presentation. My buddy Tim has done most of the legwork, he just asked me to brew a couple of the beers as I share his admiration for the style.

19. SABERG

SABERG Grand Pooh-Bah (4,777) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Thanks to Vikeman, for the effort.
    Will be brewing on the 25th and keep you posted.

Cheers

20. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Now that this one is done... what's next? Stout?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.