Taking beer on a plane as a checked bag

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KingHenry, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Preluderl

Preluderl Pooh-Bah (1,710) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I was wondering about this as well as I'm going to California later this year and wanted to bring stuff back with me. Thanks for the information, all.

2. fiver29

fiver29 Savant (1,042) Sep 18, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I've taken beer on trips with me lots of times. To answer your specific questions I'd say a couple points. First, as long as the cans aren't blasting into one another in your bag they should be fine. If it were me I'd still pack them so they aren't banging into one another so they can't tear each other somehow. Think packing them in socks and t-shirts as a must. Biggest issue you will have is weight limits.

Taking beer in and out of the Bahamas is not a big deal. Booze is big business for the islands actually. That won't be a problem either. They don't care about beer.

Congrats and have fun!

RyanMcFly1985 likes this.
  3. fiver29

Trader

When I visited San Diego a couple years ago I stopped at a Bevmo and picked up 2 12 bottle styro shippers. Filled both of them and checked them at the airport. I brought my packing tape from home. I looked at it like this. The cost of checking the box was less than shipping it from CA.

4. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Savant (1,222) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

Thanks for the info guys!

5. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

The hubby and I did it in 2002, not too long after 9/11, on the way back from GABF. I called TSA and told them what I wanted to bring back. They said no prob. We then took the 4 cases of beer to a UPS store and they packed them for flight into 2 boxes. We counted them as our second checked bag. Told everybody that asked what it was and had no problem.

6. MEGAawesomeLAUREN

MEGAawesomeLAUREN Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2013 Minnesota

I flew back from Chicago not too long ago with a bottle of DL in my checked bag...got home and opened my suitcase and saw that TSA left me a little note saying that they had to search my bag. The flyer attached also said that there was a limit on the amount of "liquids" that you can have in a checked bag.

7. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

I've had great success checking bottle shippers as an extra bag, though apparently an EMPTY box was too confusing for TSA on my last trip to the bay area. The box was in pristine condition before I checked it. Apparently stacking one sleeve on top of another sleeve in a box is over the TSA's pay grade.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Having said that, I've traveled domestically and internationally with copious amounts of beer and never had any real issues. On the Customs side though, always tell them you are carrying beer and pay the small customs fee. Most of the time though, the Customs people don't even bother. (One of the pluses to beer being relegated to where it is in the booze hierarchy.)

8. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (1,197) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

I've said it in this thread before, and I'll say it again. an 8gal ActionPacker and bubble wrap is your friend. I've used this method exclusively for a couple of years, every time I fly somewhere. the 8gal will fit 14 bombers, and be under weight.

ChiTownPackFan likes this.
  9. fiver29

Trader

Wasn't sure what you were referring to. Looked it up. Question. Do you check it in? How do you keep it from popping open?

10. blackcloud

blackcloud Savant (1,197) Apr 28, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

Yup. I just check it. I usually just put some tape over the handles, maybe one wrap around the middle, and haven't had an issue yet. A friend who's adopted the same method uses a couple of those quick release luggage belts as added security.

11. 1beergeek

1beergeek Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2012 New Mexico

Just got back from Pittsburgh flying home to New Mexico. Brought back 2 cases of Head Hunter IPA via Southwest Airlines. No problems at all. Bubble wrap is your friend. Cheers!

PuckIt likes this.
  12. Strelnikov

Strelnikov Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2008 Texas

It has been my experience that the best possible suitcases for air travel are Halliburtons. And I'm not talking about the Darklord's company. These are the guys that make those cool aluminum briefcases that you always see in movies carrying the millions in drug money. The thing is they have been around for at least 60 years and older models turn up on ebay. Good ones can be picked up for $60-100 which is cheap as shit compared to what the run new.
    Basically the only substantial thing to change over the years are the latches. The rest stayed the same: Aircraft aluminum, combination locks, and an o-ring which makes them water tight. Their pretty much indestructible and can carry a lot of wieght.
    I recently came home from Portland with at least a dozen 750s, 5 bombers, assorted 12 oz-ers, and a growler. The case weighed 77 lbs! No problems. The other case, which I had to borrow was another story entirely. It was one of those Semi hard-sided plastic jobs with handles on 2 sides and roller wheels. It only weighed 47 lbs. but the first handle snapped off as I loaded it in my rental car; the second handle snapped off as I unloaded it from the rental car. Joy! Lost 2 bottles on the flight.

Just checked ebay, here's what I'm talking about: This thing is 26 x 18 x 8 and is currently bid to $36
    [​IMG]

13. psuKinger

psuKinger Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

This looks promising.

Shipping is astronomical though, especially with the styrofoam insert included. The website says to visit your local total wine and inquire about getting one on your own. I live in PA... no Total Wine. I stopped by my local state store, and the guy behind the counter looked at me like I was from Mars.

Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions on how to get a styrofoam insert for less than $28 in PA?

14. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

Look for a wine storage place. They often have them for sale.

15. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

How about the local uhaul Tell them you are moving , inquire about a shipper.

16. Dreizhen

Dreizhen Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2013 District of Columbia

A recent update on checking booze internationally:

I just flew back from Europe with a haul. Wrapped it in socks, bags, and then wrapped in dirty clothes. Wrote a nice note to the TSA. No issues, nothing broken. Declared everything. Brought back just under a gallon.

Not a single issue. Flew in from Madrid to Chicago.

17. millionsuns

millionsuns Crusader (480) Dec 6, 2008 Maine
    Trader

18. metabrewing

metabrewing Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2010 California

I'm not quite sure why you would say it is wine when it is beer? Did the airline have a policy for beer that does not apply to wine? If so, which airline?

19. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

I wouldn't be surprised if provisions were made for wine but not beer.

20. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

Near wine country, it's pretty common for them to hassle you about adequately packing if it wasn't "professionally" packed by a winery employee.

swoopdog likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.