Taking beer on a plane as a checked bag

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by KingHenry, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingHenry

KingHenry Zealot (588) Nov 25, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I did a search and couldn't find anything, its not really beer trading but figured that would be where the info would reside. Im Really interested in bringing/trading beers on a future trip. Is anyone familiar with the rules regarding taking brews with you on a plane, if it makes a difference between airline it would be delta. I have read posts about this in the past but can't seem to find a central location for specifics. Any info or reccomendations would be appreciated,
    Thanks
    Nick.

2. NWer

NWer Pooh-Bah (2,145) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

I've checked a lot of booze in a lot of luggage and never had a problem.
    I never asked them if it was OK & I've never heard of anyone else having a problem.

DaverCS and tarheels86 like this.
  3. mhenson42

mhenson42 Maven (1,409) Nov 20, 2011 Texas
    Trader

I just brought about 8 22oz bottles home from a recent trip. I just bought bubble wrap and wrapped them up good that way I didn't have to worry about TSA moving them around if they inspected. It didn't appear that they did. One time when my kid was a baby, I checked a suitcase full of beer and diapers. Diapers made great padding and if a bottle broke, no leaks.

4. LambicKing

LambicKing Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Germany

I flew Delta from Belgium on my last trip from there...and I brought 4 bags. 3 of them were large, plastic, wheeled boxes...each weighing 70 lbs, chock full of beer and packing material. 48 750s in total. No problems whatsoever.

mhenson42 - man, diapers is a great idea! I'll have to give that a shot if I can't find enough bubblewrap this next trip.

5. Ronnie_Lemaster

Ronnie_Lemaster Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Michigan

So how much did the luggage fees and customs charges cost you?

IndyHop-s and mtbdonn like this.
  6. WillCarrera

WillCarrera Initiate (0) Oct 11, 2010 Ohio

that is awesome

tuesunsommiel and jglowe77 like this.
  7. LambicKing

LambicKing Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Germany

Each box cost me 100 Euros (I believe)...initially some sticker shock, but considering the contents it would have been much more if I ordered 48 bottles of my favorites online. Customs charges were zero...I assume since I declared on paper and verbally, for personal consumption.

8. Ronnie_Lemaster

Ronnie_Lemaster Initiate (0) May 10, 2012 Michigan

I have included bottles in a checked suitcase many times in the past. Normally it's just a bomber or two. I usually seal them in plastic and then wrap them in t-shirt and then try to make sure they're isolated from anything hard. More recently I brought home two bottles of Pliny from a golf trip to California using these: http://vinnibag.com/. I packed them with my golf clubs in a soft-sided golf travel bag and they came through fine. The Vinni Bags may be a bit of overkill, particularly if your packing a bunch of small bottles. There are some cheaper options along the same lines available on amazon.

9. TheRealDBCooper

TheRealDBCooper Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2010 Svalbard & Jan Mayen Islands

The only issue I've ever heard of is out of San Francisco due to the wine crowd failing to pack properly, though I never had a problem going through there.

10. BruceBruce

BruceBruce Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2011 Texas

I brought back a box weighing 49 lbs (over 50 is charged with southwest) and then my suitcase full of beer wrapped in my clothes and literally had to carry on a bunch of hanger clothes so it was underweight, no problems. Done it every time I have flown the last few years. You will be fine.

DaverCS and sajaffe1 like this.
  11. leprakhan

leprakhan Zealot (731) Dec 28, 2009 California

I flew out of Oakland n asked if I could fly with some "goods." They said as long as it is properly wrapped and not just wrapped in my clothes. (Well they were just wrapped in my clothes) So I fessed up and admitted so. The employee then offered some of the best bubble bottle bags I have ever used for 2$ a piece. They hold 2 22ozs or 3 12ozs. I was happy to wrap them with these bubble packs. It's alot cheaper than buying all new clothes and suitcase

12. strohme2

strohme2 Pooh-Bah (1,927) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Done it a few times flying back from San Diego. Last trip I checked a 14x14x14 cardboard box (on Delta) securely taped up on the outside and plenty of bubble wrap on the inside with name and address clearly written. I was a little worried at how the box wold arrive but had no problem and the box was not damaged in the least bit.

Other times just for my peace of mind I pack my beers in a drybag and stuff it well in a suitcase. In case of leakage at least it won't get any of my clothes soaked in beer. I've never had a problem.

13. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

I've sent styro shippers as my checked luggage many times, never had any problems. Only once (flying home from SF) got asked what it was ("wine") and if it was packed by a winery ("yes").

14. Agold

Agold Maven (1,251) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

God willing this will be me on my way back from belgium at the end of june.

ford0626 and VonZipper like this.
  15. Steimie

Steimie Maven (1,404) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Strongly advise using ziplock bags in addition to whatever bubble wrap or other packaging materials you use. But yeah, it's doable and not really that much of a hassle.

16. Brew33

Brew33 Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2007 Ohio

Let me ask a related question. I'm headed out on a weekend trip soon and my checked bag will be my golf bag. I'm planning on squeezing a few bombers into my golf bag. Anyone heard of any issues doing that?

17. mychalg9

mychalg9 Pooh-Bah (2,061) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Do the pressure changes affect the beer at all?

tvoss99 likes this.
  18. Steimie

Steimie Maven (1,404) Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

Baggage compartment is pressurized just like the cabin, from what I understand. Remember, sometimes Fido flies in the baggage compartment and his eyes would pop out if it wasn't pressurized.

19. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I think this is a very good idea (wrapping the bottles in bubble wrap). I pack wine and beer in my suitcase all the time and even have a suitcase that is specifically designated as the wine/beer suit case. I have cardboard wine bottle partitions that I fit into the suitcase, and then I also pack bubble wrap on the bottom and over the top. As long as TSA doesn't actually inspect the suitcase, there's never been a problem. However, the times they have inspected it, invariably the suitcase was not packed back up the way it was before. Those are the only times I've had any breakage, and on those rare occassions I probably would have been OK if each bottle had been wrapped individually in bubble wrap.

So I would just keep in mind that TSA doesn't always employ the best and the brightest, and often times they're just not very careful about repacking any suitcase they inspect. Plan accordingly and you should be OK.

DaverCS likes this.
  20. mychalg9

mychalg9 Pooh-Bah (2,061) Apr 8, 2010 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sometimes after a flight you open your bag and your toiletry items have sucked in on themselves quite a bit, something like a shampoo bottle. So it seems there is a certain amount of pressure change going on. But I guess if people have flown with beer and no ill effects, that's all the evidence I need.

tvoss99 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.