Sunk King releases reserve cans of The Velvet Fog and Bourbon Barrel Johan the Barleywine

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Todd, Jan 17, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aasher

aasher Grand Pooh-Bah (4,471) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Pooh-Bah

It's only really been available a few times (Kahns Battle of Belgium, a Flatwater event, I think a festival or two) so I'm very excited for them to can it.

CWBlues likes this.
  2. ballardbrewer

ballardbrewer Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2009 Indiana

What I think we will see is all the cans will be reserved right away then come in a couple weeks Sun King will announce there are extra cans for sale that nobody picked up. People will be quick to reserve them then decide the price is too high. Now on the other hand Velvet Fog is going to go fast. 17.50 for two is not that bad of a price to me.

I think we are starting to see some backlash on the prices of Sun Kings special releases. What is Deuce like $18 most places. I still see it around town. Way overpriced for a what it is. Wee Muckle is the same way, I still see that around and that was out a while ago.

3. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Aspirant (260) May 30, 2008 Ohio

Does anyone know if the Velvet Fog that is being released is Bourbon Barrel Aged? In reading through some previous posts/reviews it sounds like it is barrel aged but in reading the information that Sun King published it doesn't say anything about it being barrel aged and their website does not reference barrel aging for Velvet Fog.

4. eyeenjoybeer

eyeenjoybeer Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2011 Seychelles

There are very different descriptions in the reviews on here and the other site. The reviews here suggest barrel aging. On the other site, it seems that only one review notes wood.

5. crossovert

crossovert Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2009 Illinois

Dumb price. And I believe the BA version of velvet fog is pappy fog.

6. SteelersX

SteelersX Savant (1,106) Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Trader

This "hobby" has officially become silly and too expensive. Have at it everyone!

7. gpawned

gpawned Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2012 Illinois

Oh right! those...thanks for the picture/reminder. Also, thanks for the reminder of another underwhelming Sun King beer.

8. eyeenjoybeer

And they are going to put sours in these bottles later in the year? I know that Oliver Winery is suing Ball Corp. right now because of interaction of their aluminum bottles with cider leading to a strong metallic flavor. I can only imagine what sours in aluminum bottles will taste like.

9. mpwdoyle

mpwdoyle Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2011 Illinois

So there is a very limited quantity of barrel aged Johan, 250 cans. Last time I checked Indianapolis has a lot of people, almost a million. And people here are bitching and moaning about the price of Johan? Look, if that price is too high for you, that's fine. There is going to be a lot of demand for this beer, so much so that it outpaces supply probably. I could very well be wrong.

I know a lot of people are not going to care for this, but breweries should never be in the business of placating people when it comes to prices. If you think this price is too high, don't buy it and don't complain about it. I'm never going to understand the general feeling here about the price of beer being so high that a brewery deserves scorn for it. Does everyone here complaining about the price being too high complain that the price of gas is too high? TVs? Music?

RunningIPA likes this.
  10. eyeenjoybeer

I complain about those prices as well, so color me "entitled to bitch" by your standard. Thanks!

11. BuckeyeDave

BuckeyeDave Aspirant (260) May 30, 2008 Ohio

I did e-mail Sun King today asking if this release of Velvet Fog is barrel aged. If/when I get a response I will post it here.

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
  12. gpawned

No doubt that 250 cans will sell out easily. The brewery has the right to charge what they want. Anyone who wants to complain about the price is just as entitled to do so as you are to complain about them complaining.

I personally wasn't complaining about the price of this can, so you weren't referring to me I'm sure but I do complain about gasoline prices, my tv bill and no longer purchase music in stores...so that last point you tried to make probably isn't going to do what you wanted it to.

I am grateful to Sun King for being the inspiration for this entertaining thread.

mpwdoyle and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  13. JohnfromPurdue

JohnfromPurdue Zealot (548) Apr 27, 2009 Indiana
    Trader

I get what you're saying and I am in the camp that prefers higher prices for great limited beer so it stays around long enough for me to get some. Heck, I ended up with multiple bottles of Murda'd Out Stout at $50. My issue with Sun King charging this much is that their beer, in my opinion, is generally not that good. I really don't think the Johan is going to sell as well as people think, but like you, I could be wrong. Most likely I'm wrong considering the state of beer these days.

mpwdoyle and eyeenjoybeer like this.
  14. gpawned

You really liked Murda'd enough to buy more than one bottle at that price for your own consumption (ie. not as trade bait or to hook up trading partners?)

15. JohnfromPurdue

Trader

I never said I wasn't going to trade any. I already traded one for a SNR10.

My point is that I am willing to spend/gamble $50 on a bottle from FFF that has a portion of BA DL because of the pedigree.

16. gpawned

I know you didn't, but I was really curious. No doubt it trades well, but that's because it's a novelty and the vast majority of people seeking it out haven't tried it yet.

17. JohnfromPurdue

Trader

Sorry I ninja'd that quote a little.

18. gpawned

Haha, no problem

That's where we disagree, I guess. I don't think I'm willing to give FFF that sort of trust on expensive bottles anymore. Too many disappointments/not worth the price bottles for my liking.

19. JohnfromPurdue

Trader

I'm with you on those $35 bottles but when there is BA DL involved I will drop the money.

20. robwestcott

robwestcott Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2008 Indiana

personally, i'm thinking the aluminum can only improve a sour : )

eyeenjoybeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.