Stoneface ends free tasters, puts out BBRIS

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jbrews, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jbrews

Jbrews Pooh-Bah (1,800) Aug 6, 2013 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

Too bad on the tasters. It's a shame as it kept you busy waiting and chatting. I'll miss have my IPA while I waited for my IPA

Hopefully the new brew is good.

2. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

But if it cuts down on the wait, will you really miss it?

BRYeleJR likes this.
  3. BAMF

BAMF Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts

Love the dark stuff. The hoppy beers are just not up to snuff.

4. Auror

Auror Pooh-Bah (1,641) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah

Not sure what snuff standard you are using, but their IPA is a beer most places in the country would kill for.

rocksteady726 and FrankLloydMike like this.
  5. BAMF

BAMF Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2007 Massachusetts

Sure, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say that, when it comes to IPAs, New England right now is not "most places." Agree to disagree, I guess.

6. EnronCFO

Pooh-Bah Society

I do not understand the love for Stoneface IPA. Always assumed it was locals pumping up one of their own because they were jealous of the beers coming out of VT and ME. Had fresh bottles and tap and been underwhelmed every time.

7. Mikeypnh

Mikeypnh Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2013 New Hampshire

I used to love their IPA, but recently it just hasn't tasted the same. I know a few other people who had said the same thing. We will see how it is on Friday, I guess. Been a while since my last one, and was disappointed. I swear it used to be awesome, totally worth the hype.

8. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Not huge on the IPA either. Get the right hop combo in a homebrew feeling base beer and you can get a lot of people though. So good for them and the handful of other NE breweries who have hit on this formula too.

EnronCFO likes this.
  9. EnronCFO

Pooh-Bah Society

I think I've said this exact thing in the past. Dry hopped with XYZ hop of the moment IPA gets automatic 90+ on here these days and I'm laughing my ass off since the beer is mediocre by the second sip.

10. mrz200

mrz200 Initiate (0) Jul 11, 2013 Massachusetts

IPA isn't a standout to me, but the Pale and the DIPA's - especially Hopulization- are fantastic.

How long will the RIS stick around? Will it last until Monday?

11. Pwbres

Pwbres Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2013 Maine

The bottles are too much of a crap shoot without dates, but I've never been disappointed off the tap from the brewery. Also, I can't wrap my head around how anyone could be jealous that another state produces better beer, especially when either border is 20mins away. This isn't OSU vs Michigan.

Mikeypnh likes this.
  12. EnronCFO

Pooh-Bah Society

Really? You've never thought "I don't get why people drive to the middle of nowhere VT for beer when we have XYZ available locally"? Happens in MA all the time with Trillium and Tree House, I know many Mainers that have similar views, why wouldn't NH residents?

yuppiescum likes this.
  13. Pwbres

If I was someone with skin in the game? Yes. As a consumer? No.

14. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

So you dont desire to have beers,as good as the most highly regarded beers,available to you locally? If you don't thats fine. If you do, its that same desire that has many people putting thier local IPAs up there with the best regardless of how closely they compare. Ive heard some ridiculous beers claimed to be up there with the big boys.

15. Pwbres

Of course I do. But I care most about accessibility and seeing the breweries that are easily accessible continue to produce a top notch products. Borders and state lines really have nothing to do with it. Again, being a consumer, I have zero allegiance. I live 10 minutes from stoneface and love them, but I don't understand how another brewery making a better beer out of state could make me jealous, especially when it's a reasonable drive.

FrankLloydMike likes this.
  16. Jbrews

Pooh-Bah Society

That wait was never that long, doesn't even compare to other Breweries in Boston, Munson, etc. Yes, I'll miss it.

Living here in Portsmouth I also have access to everything in Maine at my local shop about 35 seconds from my office in Kittery. So we get the best of both worlds, 0 traffic aside from the tourists in summer, and half the lines even in Portland. But most of those beers work their way down here each week.

Hopulization out at dinner a week or so ago was fantastic!

#16 Jbrews, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  17. Jbrews

Pooh-Bah Society

Beer isn't something to be jealous over, that's obsession and kinda un healthy. Just be happy with what you have and when you get other stuff.

yuppiescum likes this.
  18. Flashy

Flashy Pooh-Bah (1,755) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Had the IPA and since I cannot tell when it was bottled, I don't know how fresh it is- it seems to be pretty hit or miss. What is good, is Red Rye- one of the best beers I've ever had.

meefmoff likes this.
  19. earljones199

earljones199 Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2013 New Hampshire

The turnout for the BA RIS was incredible. The line filled the back parking lot with the tail end starting to coil up. Even with that many people the line moved really fast with tasters of the stout being given out. This is a great stout.

20. Davl22

Davl22 Maven (1,329) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

[​IMG]

Crazy line today, ended up selling out completely about 30 minutes ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.