Stone Opening Up Shop in Pasadena

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by MrTopher, May 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrTopher

MrTopher Initiate (0) Aug 27, 2009 California

A friend forwarded me an email about Stone opening a tasting room/shop in Pasadena today.
    I needed to do a little more research, and sure enough there is a public hearing tomorrow.

City of Pasadena Notice of Public Hearing

teamizm likes this.
  2. Retsinis

Retsinis Maven (1,486) Sep 25, 2009 Arizona

That's cool. I wonder if they will have guest taps, from other SD breweries that they distribute.

3. DrAwkward82

DrAwkward82 Initiate (0) Apr 16, 2005 California

Awesome news! I wonder if they'll be able to do growler fills like their 30th St station?

4. queens1130

queens1130 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 California

Growler fills would be amazing. Would also save me tons on gas for the normal trip to Escondido

UnknownKoger likes this.
  5. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Pooh-Bah (1,871) Jul 9, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

definitely what queens said. I would love to just drive to pasadena and get a growler fill. That would make things a hell of a lot easier

6. robL

robL Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 California

Agreed. And it's especially nice that I already have about 4 empty growlers from previous SD brewery runs!

7. Goldstar81

Goldstar81 Initiate (0) Jul 15, 2010 California

Man I can't believe what a beer Mecca Pasadena has turned into. When I moved here 3 years ago there was just Lucky Baldwins. Since then Haven Gastropub, Congregation Alehouse and another Luckys have opened up all around Old town and now Stone is coming here too. Plus 38 degrees in Alhambra about 10 minutes away. Now if we can just get Cantillon to open up shop here...

8. joloje

joloje Devotee (315) Jan 2, 2009 California

Does anyone get over to Stuft Sandwich in Alhambra? I heard that Sam wasn't doing very well.

9. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Pooh-Bah (1,899) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah

Maybe StoneGreg can chime in and tell us what's up. As a soon-to-be resident of Pasadena, this interests me.

10. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

As a resident of Pasadena, this interests me.

Beats driving down to SD for Stone fills.

11. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Pooh-Bah (1,899) Nov 27, 2010 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah

Is Pasadena really a beer mecca?

12. Rollzroyce21

Rollzroyce21 Pooh-Bah (2,211) Oct 24, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah

Maybe not quite "mecca" yet, but yeah, I see how the craft beer scene's been growing there.

Not just there, but all over LA and OC.

13. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2011 California

there will be growler fills. but odds are only stone beers, nothing that is distributed by them. its how the current license works at the south park location unfortunately!

14. evilc

evilc Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 California

It's how the license works at ALL breweries in CA.

15. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2011 California

A brewery can only fill growlers of the beer they produce. Thus why the SouthPark location does not have guest taps, they're licensed as brewery, not a beer bar. They'll most likely apply for a Type 23 license, which is a brewery, they may or may not have to have a very small 'brewery' on site to meet the legal definition of a brewery (nano) so they can sell everything on tap/growler/bottles that stone produces. If you like Stone, this is a good thing.

I was wondering why they decided on 30th St (other than to get in on the beer scene there) and not to try this in some other city, noteably SF.

16. evilc

Cuz SF hella sucks.

Mute98 likes this.
  17. ParchedNeedBeer

ParchedNeedBeer Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2011 California

....Cause SoCal is its own state and they don't take kindlly to us northern's up past the Grapevine...

evilc likes this.
  18. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2011 California

With Stone opening a 2nd bistro in NTC they sort of have San Diego covered.

Of course, now stone needs to actually start making good beer for their anni's and special releases and collabs...the amount of "New Beer Suck" being cranked out is tremendious.

vurt likes this.
  19. evilc

I think Stone is tracking to be very attractive for purchase - it's their gameplan no matter what spin Greg Koch puts on it. ( and I don't see anything wrong with that, I want $100s of millions too! )

20. IceAce

IceAce Pooh-Bah (2,220) Jan 8, 2004 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Not quite Cantillon...but Slaters 50/50 just signed a lease in Pasadena as well...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.