Stone / Insurgente / Chris Banker - XOCOVEZA Mocha Stout

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by beerjerk666, Jul 6, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick_Bousquet

Nick_Bousquet Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2014 Virginia

So I just cracked my first one open and....wow. I feel like there has got to be at least a degree of beer snobbery or at least some blown palates going on from those bashing it. The flavor profile is absolutely deep and complex with everything advertised showing through, although I would contend that cinnamon and pepper take front stage here. The only way I could describe this beer as "thin" is perhaps in the mouthfeel. Certainly not as thick as imperial and oatmeals but not unpleasant. For the availability and price I would say it is a must have. In case anyone is having trouble finding it I think I can get another case so shoot me a PM. Cheers all!

2. riTLce

riTLce Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 California

Agreed, the brew was definitely a great one. I think it did have a lighter mouthfeel than I was
    expecting, but the flavors were all good. The unsweetened Mexican chocolate was a nice change of pace from the usual chocolate flavors used in stouts, and I definitely appreciated the spice notes in there as well. Mine was $4 for a 22oz, so for that price you seriously can't beat it!

KhakCane likes this.
  3. mlhyatt

mlhyatt Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 Georgia

I really enjoyed this beer as well. Didn't really find it thin though and i'm hard on beers for having a thin mouthfeel (I won't buy them again). To me this beer was thicker than mexican cake but not as thick as hunahpu. I would also rank it in the same place as far as taste goes. I wish I could find it around me. :slight_frown:

riTLce likes this.
  4. riTLce

riTLce Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2011 California

I definitely need to check out Hunahpu, was hearing a bit about this in the thread earlier.

5. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

So this hit Missouri last week and I have had it twice now. I must say I really enjoy this beer. Smooth and chocolaty with a nice cinnamon presence, but fairly light pepper flavor. The one ingredient I really noticed was the nutmeg which added a certain richness I really liked. I know some folks have called it thin or not as good as Huna/Abraxas. In my mind its a completely different beer and not meant to be a mirror image of those two. Compared to Huna, yea it may seem thin but its a lower ABV offering and somewhat different in style. I feel like this beer nicely fills the gap between a lighter offering (Ska's Mole Stout) and the bigger ones (Abraxas, Huna, etc) If I come across this again I will gladly purchase it

Buschyfor3 likes this.
  6. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

I got tons of pepper - smell and flavor. Absolutely no pepper heat though.

7. rojapa

rojapa Savant (1,100) Jun 26, 2013 New York

I STILL haven't seen this anywhere in NYC and no one I've talked to seems to know anything about the release here. Anyone have any info on when this might start popping up??

8. Barrelsnbeer

Barrelsnbeer Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2012 North Carolina

i've got a 1/6 keg coming into my work thursday, just tapped their coffee milk stout last week as well. Stone's collabs are always on point! Im also happy to see non IPA beers coming from these guys on the regular

KhakCane and AdmiralOzone like this.
  9. AOTP

AOTP Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2014 New York

Came and went already.

10. rojapa

Seriously? I still see Unapologetic and the 18th Anniversary sitting on shelves and didn't see a single bottle of this anytime I went to my local shops. Was it really that small of a release?

11. AOTP

AOTP Initiate (0) Aug 14, 2014 New York

I'm guessing that's the case. I too see those still laying around. But I think that Xocoveza just really blew through here quickly due to it's immediate popularity. It was released about 2 weeks ago.

12. rojapa

Well, that's a tad bit disappointing. I guess I'll check out a couple places over the weekend and hope I get lucky. Thanks for the info.

13. msscott1973

msscott1973 Pooh-Bah (1,605) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I tried this a couple of weeks and didn't like it at all. I am guessing the flavor combination just isn't my bag. I have never disliked anything from Stone.

14. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Initiate (0) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

I had a bottle of this in my hand today but didn't buy it. I better hard back to the store and get one. That was a great video OP.

15. benbking

benbking Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2009 Rhode Island

I'm really enjoying this beer, finally got a few bottles tonight.
    I think it's a spot on representation of a Mexican Hot Chocolate. I don't think it's similar to Mexican Cake, but it's fantastic and if you like the style you should give this a shot on it's own merits and not because someone on the internet told you it tastes like X beer but cheaper and more widely in distribution. I am looking forward to putting a few away and seeing how the flavor profile changes as it ages.

16. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Great beer, picked up 2, wish I had picked up 2 more. Its extremely drinkable, I could easily drink 2 of these in a night.

#296 beernuts, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  17. yemenmocha

yemenmocha Grand Pooh-Bah (4,092) Jun 18, 2002 Arizona
    Pooh-Bah Society

I thought of you when I tried this. I liked everything about this one but the peppers taste. I don't mind heat, but I'm no fan of some peppers' flavors.

pitweasel likes this.
  18. BikeChef

BikeChef Pundit (912) Dec 27, 2007 District of Columbia
    Society

I'm in the small minority of not liking this. Note to self: avoid any and all beers with cinnamon and nutmeg.

19. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Pooh-Bah (1,675) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah

Xocoveza all the flavors are experienced smell and taste wise pepper is there but not over powering don't detect any heat very solid beer here not anywhere near huna but still a great beer drink it slow let it warm up the flavors really come through a lot stronger

#299 ohiobeer29, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  20. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Tastes nice but the body is a little thin.

Anyone else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.