Stone 2010 BA IRS released?

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Vanlingleipa, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopHead84

HopHead84 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,144) Nov 29, 2006 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Same for me. I opened a bottle last night and it had a firm lactic sourness on the back end. I corked it and called the Escondido store about the situation, asking for a refund on my remaining bottles as well as the sour bottle I'd opened. I returned them today for a refund with no problems. Props to Stone for the hassle free refund, though the skeptic in me wonders how their sensory panel can release a beer that's blatantly infected right off the bat.

2. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2006 California

Ohhhhhhh shiiiiiiii**************************

I just looked at Untapd and 50% of the check ins mention a tartness or sourness. I recall some other breweries claiming that sourness in stouts was a result of bourbon barrel aging :confused:

3. AndresR

AndresR Pundit (808) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Is it confirmed for all bottles, or just the low fills?

4. queens1130

queens1130 Initiate (0) Nov 21, 2008 California

untappd has 4 reviews with 2 sour & 2 agreeable. a different post on BA shows that someone else got lucky & didn't have infection: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/stone-bourbon-barrel-irs.29013/

dilemma... idk if i should drive all the way to the brewery to return my 2 bottles or try them? escondido is a trek & i unfortunately don't make enough to take a risk on laying down $20 bottle that could be infected...

damn it, i was so excited to take the bottle to Vegas for a bottle share & warm up my BA buddy on Stone beers too :slight_frown:

5. javib458

javib458 Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2009 California

Going to open a bottle in a few hours, hopefully it's not infected otherwise I'll have to return the rest of my bottles.

6. AndresR

AndresR Pundit (808) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

The Stone Southpark location pulled all the bottles today due to the QC issue, before opening. FYI. I assume the others did the same.

7. peteinSD

peteinSD Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2010 California

first major QC blunder in nearly 16 years? and on this beer?! i knew it all seemed too easy.

8. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2011 California

Maybe it was a quiet release b/c they knew it had issues... #conspiracy

At least this time you didn't have to buy a mandolin+ticket+$50 to charity.

domtronzero likes this.
  9. Overlord

Overlord Initiate (0) Jun 28, 2007 California

Oceanside. Soured. Must have known there were issues. Cheaper than other premium line releases, quietly put on shelves.

ZX6Chris likes this.
  10. tyrsis

tyrsis Savant (1,050) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Trader

I did think it was odd that it was $18. Especially since the El Camino was like $25, and that wasn't even in a spirit barrel.

11. Sebowski

Sebowski Zealot (613) Jan 11, 2010 California

Bottles, as in, plural? I thought they were one per person. AM I THE ONLY ONE PLAYING BY THE RULES AROUND HERE!

pmarlowe likes this.
  12. tjensen3618

tjensen3618 Savant (1,225) Mar 23, 2008 California

If it were one per customer, how come everybody has multiple bottles to return?

13. vivasbeer

vivasbeer Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2012 Michigan

Let's say you traded a KH for one......and it's already shipped and on its way to you, but you haven't shipped on your end. Do you refuse shipment, accept and return, or eat it and send off the KH?

No I did not do this, but yesterday FT/ISO had quite a few threads for these 2 beers

What are your thoughts?

14. tewaris

tewaris Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

When can we expect?
    [​IMG]

Kuemmelbrau and ZX6Chris like this.
  15. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Trader

I am actually in a situation like this. I am the one with RIS but my partner already shipped his end. I messaged him and told him I can either send it off and he can take the risk (I personally opened a non-infected one last night), I can send something else instead, or I can return his beer to him once it arrives. I am not sure how others have or are going to handle this, but I know I wouldn't want to receive a beer that might been infected for a beer I know is fine.

16. starrdogg

starrdogg Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2010 District of Columbia

Is it just the low-fill bottles that are at risk of infection? Or is it all bottles? I'm considering taking the risk of trading for one because it was quite literally the best stout I've ever had when I had it on tap a couple of years ago.

17. darkmoon66

Trader

I think I am going to open another one and I'll post my findings.

18. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Initiate (0) May 1, 2009 North Carolina

forget infection, i'd be pissed if i paid $20 for a 500ml (i assume that's the size) only to find it was a low fill.

19. darkmoon66

Trader

Second bottle tasted infected, really disappointing.

20. weatherdog

weatherdog Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2007 Illinois

Not that this is a huge deal, but used spirit barrels are FAR cheaper than new virgin oak barrels.

It's not like Stone is even remotely pricing these beers based on cost of production though, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.