Spoetzl Brewery (Shiner) keeps racking up the medals

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by JackHorzempa, Nov 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Black Equals Gold at European Beer Star Awards

PRWeb – Sat, Nov 17, 2012EmailShare0Share0PrintShiner Bohemian Black Lager Wins Top Honors in Germany

NUREMBERG, GERMANY and SHINER, TEXAS (PRWEB) November 15, 2012

Continuing its impressive winning streak in world beer competitions, Shiner Bohemian Black Lager has earned the Spoetzl Brewery a gold medal from the European Beer Star Awards (EBSA), one of the world’s most prominent tasting competitions.

Shiner Bohemian Black Lager won in the German Style Schwarzbier category. Because the EBSA limits categories to beer styles of European origin, breweries from that continent have long dominated the awards.

Not only is the European Beer Star Awards one of the world’s most prestigious competitions, it’s also one of the fastest growing. Entries were up by 23% over 2011, which had seen a record number of competitors. More than 100 judges considered 1,366 beers, submitted from 44 countries across six continents.

This is not Shiner’s first time to the podium in Nuremburg. Last year, Shiner Oktoberfest was a Silver medalist and Bohemian Black Lager and Old Time Alt won bronze. In 2010 Oktoberfest won gold and Shiner 101 Czech-style Pilsner brought home silver.

And it’s not just in Europe that Shiner is impressing judges. This latest gold medal comes on the heels of an unprecedented triple-gold medal performance at last month’s Great American Beer Festival, where Black Lager was also a top winner, as were Spoetzl’s flagship Shiner Bock and Shiner Oktoberfest.

Kosmos Spoetzl, the brewery’s first brewmaster, was born in Bavaria, not far from where the EBSA medal was presented this week. It’s where he first learned the beermaking craft that he eventually brought with him to the small Texas town of Shiner.

We are very proud to see the beers Kosmos inspired competing and winning against the very best from his home country and around the world,” said current Spoetzl brewmaster Jimmy Mauric.

About the European Beer Star Awards

The European Beer Star Awards is organized by the Association of Private Breweries in Germany, the Association of Private Breweries in Bavaria and the Association of Small and Independent Breweries in Europe.

About Spoetzl Brewery

Founded in Shiner, Texas (population 2,071), the Spoetzl Brewery is one of America’s oldest independent breweries. While Spoetzl has grown to be the country’s fourth largest craft brewery, every drop of Shiner’s award-winning beer is still handcrafted and bottled by only 88 employees, very near the spot where it all started in 1909.

Learn more at http://www.shiner.com or contact: Eric Webber at eric(at)mc-j.com or 512 225 2600.

Eric Webber
    McGarrah Jessee
    (512) 542-2610
    Email Information

http://news.yahoo.com/black-equals-gold-european-beer-star-awards-134636061.html

icetrauma and jbeezification like this.
  2. lionking

lionking Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2006 Pennsylvania

Im a big fan of the Black Lager.

Ford likes this.
  3. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma
    In Memoriam

Shiner makes really good beer, despite the "not much love here on BA" thang.

4. crusian

crusian Pooh-Bah (1,989) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

European beer star awards = shit

Lol.

Scalzo likes this.
  5. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I thought their Alt and Black Lager were worthy efforts- not top echelon, but good enough to be a really pleasant surprise.

6. Compton25

Compton25 Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2011 Texas
    Trader

Shiner was my gateway into craft beer. I may not always be able to find a top tier beer, but I can always find a decent Shiner in any gas station.

7. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Zealot (722) Sep 21, 2012 Texas

It's a fine gateway beer. Nothing to sing about, nothing to hate.

8. Ispeakforthetrees

Ispeakforthetrees Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2012 Colorado

Shiner variety packs have been consumed in the masses here.
    They all session great, and they have top-notch QC.
    They don't get any love, I just find it odd. I could down anything they make, because they make it to be quaffable.

9. HumphreyLee

HumphreyLee Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 Pennsylvania

Exactly how I feel. Guys like them and Breckenridge and Rogue were what eased me into the mix, now I have to see some impressive feedback on one of their brews to go back to their products.

10. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Heck, it seems like the quality of the beer is inversely proportional to the number of medals it has been awarded. For example...

[​IMG]

11. crusian

crusian Pooh-Bah (1,989) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

Ruby redbird...

12. ncstateplaya

ncstateplaya Savant (1,233) Nov 8, 2008 North Carolina

13. Danielbt

Danielbt Initiate (0) May 4, 2012 Texas

Amen. Loved that beer after getting out of the Comal and sitting down for BBQ at Cooper's. Good times.

Ford and FUNKPhD like this.
  14. Danielbt

LOL. Like, good call brah. LOL.

Groenebeor likes this.
  15. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Maven (1,389) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

Oh my dear god... I can honestly say this was my least favorite beer I've ever had.... I couldn't even stomach a few gulps....

I'm all for "for each his own"... but I personally would rather blend up some vomit mixed with smoked malt and consider that a better option....

16. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Maven (1,389) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

don't get how this one was ever enjoyed by a human pallet... unless you already had a mouthfull of amazing bbq'd pork or something... and anything wet was needed to wash it down.

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

So, let me tell a Shiner Story.

I recently visited family & friends in Texas. Upon exiting the airport on the way to my sister I stopped at a Specs Liquor Store (great selection of craft beer). I picked up a six-pack of Deschutes Fresh Hopped Ale, Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, A big bottle of a Jester King Rye IPA/Saison, and a Shiner Variety Pack. Upon seeing me put the Variety Pack in the cart my wife exclaims: “You really aren’t going to buy that, are you?” I replied: “Yes, I am”. My sister is a big fan of Shiner Kosmos Reserve and unfortunately it only comes in the Variety Pack. I am a fan of the Black Bohemia and the Alt so I figured this purchase was a win-win. Unfortunately this year’s pack had Prickly Pear vs. Alt.:slight_frown:

So the Variety Pack includes:

· Shiner Bock: an American Adjunct Amber Lager which tastes very similar to Yuengling Lager to me.
    · Shiner Blonde: a lightly hopped Pilsner. A well-made beer (i.e., no off flavors) but too light tasting for my palate.
    · Shiner Black Bohemian Lager: Yum!
    · Shiner Hefeweizen: not a favorite hefeweizen of mine.
    · Shiner Kosmos Reserve: My sister ‘says’: two thumbs up!
    · Shiner Prickly Pear: an ‘interesting’ beer

So, the ‘story’ behind Kosmos Reserve is: “Kosmos Spoetzl knew how to brew great beer. Born in Bavaria, Kosmos’ mastery of German brewing carried him as far as Egypt before he found his way to the small Texas town of Shiner. Our proud brewery still carries his name and commitment to excellence in brewing. This full-flavored, hop-jacked lager is every bit as unique as the man himself and our way of saluting the brewmaster who started it all.” Well, I would call Kosmos Reserve an OK American Pale Lager but for some people (like my sister) this is a ‘fits just right’ beer. During the tour at Spoetzl Brewery my sister told the tour guide: “You should sell Kosmos Reserve by itself in six-packs” The tour guide intimated that they don’t brew enough Kosmos Reserve to distribute it other than in the variety pack. I was waiting for my sister to say: Well, brew more of it! But she didn’t. I was a bit disappointed. You have to ‘fight’ for the beers you like, right!?!

The Shine Prickly Pear is what I would call an ‘acquired taste’. The Shiner tour guide described this beer as tasting like an apple Jolly Rancher; that is an apt description. I was shocked that my wife and my niece’s husband (he is an accomplished homebrewer) both liked Prickly Pear. I suppose to each their own!?!

Cheers!

kingofhop likes this.
  18. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

I put as much stock in the award shiner as I do the triple hops brewed process miller light advertises.

Ymmv

19. Danielbt

My mileage, and that of the judges at WBC, GABF, EBSA, etc, apparently does vary.

Maybe it's a conspiracy! :grimacing:

Ford and JackHorzempa like this.
  20. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

The Shiner Black is an excellent beer. I liked the Smokehouse. Shiner Bock not so much.

Edit - If they won a medal in Europe, they were probably against some other black lagers, and the judges pick the best on the table in that flight's category.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.