1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Sour BIF 6 Hints and Hauls

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by olympuszymurgus, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpillyBeers

SpillyBeers Initiate (0) May 3, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'm tempted to send a beer to my target that was recently added to his wants but it would contradict what he said in his opening post.

2. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Zealot (631) May 13, 2010 Minnesota

That could be any of the 5 or 6 of us MN guys. I live across from a lake, but don't think I'm the target.

Cheers!

3. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2008 Minnesota

Well that settles it....looks like I should work from home the next few days....just in case.

:-)

My box is still coming together and will be heading East.

4. ShadesOfGray

ShadesOfGray Pundit (983) Sep 17, 2009 Pennsylvania

My box is on the road. Heading to a town that's only been recognized a little longer then I've been alive. Inside is a tasty local sour, a fantastic fruit lambic, and a growler filled yesterday of a delcious one-off local sour! Will take quite a few days to reach it's destination...expecting delivery on Friday.

5. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

This box excites me.

6. NJBeerNerd

NJBeerNerd Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2010 New Jersey

My target has posted in the thread more than once. I won't be shipping this Monday...due to some traveling will probably be closer to the end of the month but hoping sooner. Should be a great box nonetheless!

7. jwjon1

jwjon1 Savant (1,134) Jan 14, 2007 Pennsylvania
    Trader

That's pretty damn funny. Do it!

8. jwjon1

Trader

Extremely tough crowd. Did this really just become a light sour whale BIF?

9. AleWatcher

AleWatcher Initiate (0) Jan 25, 2009 Illinois

Nope.
    I think there has just been some recently publicized accounts of BIFers sending the bare minimum (and sometimes even less than that).

No one likes sending out a killer box and getting back the bare minimum-- trust me, it sucks.
    I'm sure I've started a little controversy with my "it would make me sad" post, but I was trying to provide as much info as I could for whoever is shipping to me.
    I am setting up 2 trades to land beer off my target's wants list, and the BIF was designed to ship at the end I the month to allow people to do just that-- to give us time to arrange for some nice boxes.

Up until recently I had pretty much only whales on my wants list... I realize I'm not going to get a box with Rose, Blauw, and Dirty Horse, so I updated to add some realistic wants because I know how shitty I've felt when I got a target with only whales on their wants list.

Bottom line:
    I am going to try and make the best box I can for my target... Does it make me a horrible person to want my shipper to put in a little effort as well?

10. Soonami

Soonami Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2008 Pennsylvania

Some people have been disappointed in previous iterations of this and similar BIF's where the sender doesn't carefully follow the rules and will send beers that the recipient can just buy off the shelf or has in distribution. I think that a minimal amount of work and a higher standard of quality is all that is asked for. For instance, if I can go on Belgiuminabox.com, France44.com, or good local bottle shop and buy everything in the box that I received, I will be disappointed. I think, in the end, we should all strive to send a box we are happy to receive and put a little thought into it and not just cobble something together at the last minute.

Hint for my target: Your town is a favorite of pop culture and has half the population of mine.

11. sdhomebrewer

sdhomebrewer Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 California

Call me ignorant, but I was not even thinking about weather windows to ship my box (high of 68 today). Guess I better pay a bit of attention to the weather forecast for my target where it is not sunny and 68 in the winter. With that said, my box will be traveling to a town that is about 10% of the size of the town I live in but is more densely populated. The box will travel across 3 time zones before it reaches its destination.

Box could be packed up at anytime. Just need to decide which of the 12 bottles I have on their want list that should make it into the box.

12. jwjon1

Trader

Box is on the road.

Should my other clues not have been obvious enough, here's a third: if Trey Parker and Matt Stone wrote about neighborhoods, the recipient's wouldn't make it to the end of the first show.

13. bkrueger

bkrueger Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2007 California

Hint #3

One of my all time favorite basketball players was drafted by your local NBA team, left for a while, and now is back.

I think this might be enough information for the sender to figure it out, but just in case, this basketball players team in college ended the season the same his senior year as his former college team did last year. And yes, I was very sad both times.

14. AleWatcher

Am I the only person on here that doesn't follow sports much?
    Every single sports-related clue goes right over my head...

15. Soonami

Soonami Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2008 Pennsylvania

Oh yeah I know, and Double Black, Crianza, and 3F OG Magnums were on some other sites too, but I'm talking about shelf stuff without distribution to your area

16. DoctorRock

DoctorRock Zealot (631) May 13, 2010 Minnesota

My box is off! Should be there Saturday. Sadly, couldn't hit any Wants, but certainly hit on what they stated in this thread (all 3 bottles) so I hope they're happy with the contents. I think all 3 bottles are incredible and I personally love each of them.

One more hint? Looks like a few of my favorite musicians resided in this city at some point. Les Claypool, Mickey Hart & Jerry Garcia.

17. bkrueger

bkrueger Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2007 California

Way too easy, and Saturday is my birthday, so I'm looking forward to it!

On a side note, we also have Stanley Mouse who I see around town pretty often.

18. jsilva

jsilva Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2009 Massachusetts

To help my shipper if they havent sent yet. I like lighter base beers and almost all fruits with my least favorite being rasp although i still enjoy certain ones. Im sorry if i made you "feel like shit" for having a whale wants list. I havent been around for awhile and just kinda getting back and not sure what came out.
    To my target your whole county has less people then the last city i lived in before i moved here. I would wish your team goodluck in the playoffs but they didnt make it. They werent in love with this fact and made some coaching changes.

19. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Initiate (0) May 6, 2010 Minnesota

put my BIF box in the mail yesterday, and look what arrives today:
    [​IMG]
    pure wife happiness, pure husband bliss. Oh peace and quiet that I will receive, I can not wait.

20. AleWatcher

Nice! And Raccoon Lodge probably only charged you $65 in shipping! That's a deal!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.