1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

so it happened to me.. no options?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by jaminjohnson, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2012 Canada (YT)

Dropped off box at a mail box store because my partner needed me to ship fedex only and I do not have a fed ex location anywhere near me( I usually ship UPS). Manager called me said I was shipping alcohol and it is illegal and I could be fined 550 dollars if there had broken, he said I can A- have the package destroyed, or B- have them empty the contents and send just the glass.
    No other option? I lose my 20 $ shipping and 80$ is beer? I thought it wasnt illegal, just against there policy?

2. jbuddle

jbuddle Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 New York

Just try to go get it? I dont think they can hold your box hostage but I could be wrong. Just say you didnt know it was illegal and would like to drink them instead yourself. Then call fedex for a pickup.

MADhombrewer likes this.
  3. MaxSpang

MaxSpang Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

Sounds like you got the "hero" who actually gives a crap about his job (as if!).

That really sucks... I don't know what to tell ya man.

4. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

It's still at the location? Why won't he give you back the beer?

5. gn0sis

gn0sis Initiate (0) Dec 17, 2007 Massachusetts

Go back, ask for your box apologetically, plead ignorance and deny you knew it was against policy. Threaten to call the police if they don't comply. They are a privately owned company and shouldn't be able to bully you like that.

6. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,796) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Ask to speak to his boss.

Tell him you had no idea it was "illegal" and that you were sending a down on his luck former college buddy a care package.... Apologize... make your case... and tell them that you will ship him some video games and maybe some cookies instead.... But you would however like your beer back.

Reason with them.... don't just let them take it unilaterally. If they won't budge, then get bitchy... If they don't budge, make sure they know that you will be using UPS from now on.

GeezLynn, jrnyc and Duff27 like this.
  7. mikecharley

mikecharley Savant (1,140) Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Show up at the store?

8. jaminjohnson

I acted stupid, telling him that i was shipping the glas and the liquid was "a causulty" and didnt know it was illegal to ship alcohol anyways
    the box is at their office. he will not give it back, and I was more than nice about it. Just had a nice 3 way conversation with the target and the manager and the target works for fed ex and was explaining to to the manager that it is illegal for them to hold a package and not ship it or give it back yad a yada. Guys just a dick and probably wants to take them home, must like mexican mole beers and sours.

9. jaminjohnson

The manager is who i talked to and he is irrational, I apologized multiple times and explained that I didnt know and it wouldnt happen again...he said sorry, would you like it destroyed or emptied and shipped

10. gn0sis

Show up at the store, demand your package, if they don't give it back pick up your cell phone and call the police.

11. jaminjohnson

I dont know the laws, I dont know if it would be wise to do this, you know what I mean? I do not want any problems with the police

12. franklinn

franklinn Initiate (0) May 29, 2012 Vermont

Aw man, this isn't the first time your trading partner has had issues getting a box through FedEx :slight_frown:

Best of luck to you both. How far is the place from your house, you might have better luck in person, unfortunately. Manager sounds like he might be having his special time of the month... Also, double check on that 550 number. If he's bullshitting you, call him out on it.It is technically still illegal, but that figure is awfully specific, and wouldn't apply only if bottle break.

Edit: also ask him wtf he was doing going through your package in the first place.

Theeabyss likes this.
  13. gn0sis

You haven't violated any laws/policies *yet* as the box hasn't left the store. You had no idea this was illegal and were just sending a care package to a friend down on his/her luck. If this call had come after a bottle breaking halfway on its journey you'd be in a different predicament. This isn't USPS, the police or authorities have no jurisdiction over a privately owned company so you're at no risk with the police. This comes down to property ownership. You made a simple mistake and apologized, the box never left the place you dropped it. They can keep your money, you just want your package back. If you don't do this you're setting a bad precedent for a rogue employee and letting down the beer community at large. And I'm not sure how you'd sleep at night knowing someone like that pulled a fast one like this on you. Again: the box hasn't left the place you dropped it, so no laws or policies have been broken. The worst thing that can happen is you get a stern talking to.

14. mikecharley

mikecharley Savant (1,140) Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

My guess is the police would just tell him to give you back your box, and you to not ship booze again.

Edit: personally I would call the cops

15. robinsmv

robinsmv Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2010 Florida

By empty the contents does he mean into his stomach? Can we get a dick move on this?

franklinn likes this.
  16. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,796) Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Do this!! They do not own the box!

commis, fiedler84 and Theeabyss like this.
  17. HopDropandRoll

HopDropandRoll Initiate (0) Apr 14, 2010 New York

I was also wondering how he knew right away that there was beer in the box.

Kopfschuss likes this.
  18. afrokaze

afrokaze Pooh-Bah (1,933) Jun 12, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

DICK MOVE!! You best go demand that beer back! Like you said, he has no right since it hasn't broken or shipped yet.

19. gn0sis

Not illegal, technically or otherwise.. this is a TOS violation at worst. And personally, I would only ask what he was doing and give him a real piece of your mind after the box is in your hand, if at all. Remember to be cordial but firm and insistent that you want your property back. The key here is that it hasn't entered their distribution channel/logistics network yet. Pick up your cell phone and call your local precinct. If the police won't come to the location, let it be known that you're filing a police report on the spot. Ask for a manager, their employee number, etc..spare no detail. Seriously.. do not let this go lightly.

20. brees6221

brees6221 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2009 Western Sahara

Seriously, this is bullshit.

A) WTF is he doing opening the box?
    B) I'm sure it's against their policy to ship alcohol but no laws have been broken.
    C) I'll be damned if I'm going to let anyone destroy my beer. You've tried reasoning and being nice, now it's time to argue and play ball. Go in there with your cell phone taking video and tell him to show you the policy. Refuse to stop recording until you get your box back. If he threatens to call the police tell him you'll dial. He has your property and is threatening to destroy it and won't give it back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.