Smog City Appreciation

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Ben1001, May 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben1001

Ben1001 Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2014 California

Why is there nobody talking about Smog City?

They are putting some amazing beers and their releases have all been spectacularly handled (looking at you infinite wishes). I missed the Anniversary but some friends went and had an amazing time, apparently their first sour turned out crazy good.

Not only this but they are still small enough to where they respond to feedback from us beer lovers!

I guess I'll get the ball rolling here and ask what you guys think about them?

2. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Need a Smog City thread.
    Smog has been putting out a lot of good beers since day 1.
    So you should make this everything about Smog City. Like noble.

3. Ben1001

I kind of hope cuddlebug sells out day 1 so they make tons more sours haha. They have good stouts and ipas but who doesn't love wile ales!

4. MiScusi

MiScusi Pooh-Bah (1,741) Feb 12, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah

Don't like the price point on 500mL of their coffee porter (at least where I see it, at $8.99), but do like Sabre Toothed Squirrel

5. SFWD1934

SFWD1934 Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2014 California

I am from Nor Cal but did make a point to stop there and Monkish when I was down there a couple weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised, because of the fact that I have not heard a lot of talk about it. I absolutely loved the coffee porter, as well as the chip shot. The newest releases that came out right about then were the Bourbon OE, and the alternate Single Barrel. I tried those as well, and got a bottle so I can sit on it a while and see what it does with time. Those 2 were still boozy fresh.

Jason

jnance88 likes this.
  6. johnInLA

johnInLA Pooh-Bah (2,286) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Just curious why you think nobody is talking about Smog City?

There have been several threads on this site discussing their releases.

From what I can tell, people interested Los Angeles Breweries are talking about Smog City.

7. Vinithing

Vinithing Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Wisconsin

I never heard of them until someone brought a bottle to our share last night, it stole the show. We had Almanac, Love Child, Sour Note, and de Garde among others. Very nice surprise and I'll be on the lookout for more.

8. wethorseblanket

wethorseblanket Pooh-Bah (2,893) Dec 12, 2008 California

Asked Jonathan Porter about Cuddlebug on Saturday. He indicated that it might become a regular offering. It tasted very, very good with that peach fuzz thing going on.

9. Ben1001

I meant why isn't there an appreciation thread! All I've ever seen are event threads that disappear into the depths of pages 2 and on.

johnInLA likes this.
  10. frankd97

frankd97 Crusader (460) Dec 24, 2008 California

Love Smog City! Very lucky to work a mile from them...my go to after work beer!!

jurunjulo likes this.
  11. Earlycsquid

Earlycsquid Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2013 California

I mean, why is no one talking about Russian River as well?

Come on, seriously, Smog City gets a lot of love here. I don't love the price point of their regular bottles, but man, can they nail down those special releases at an awesome price point for that quality beer.

JohnCassillo likes this.
  12. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Pooh-Bah (1,945) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah

favorite brewery in LA

13. jnance88

jnance88 Zealot (548) Jun 10, 2014 California
    Trader

Best in L.A., IMO. From their Little Bo Bils to Infinite Wishes and everything in between. The staff is awesome. The merchandise is cool. I've spent many a night (and a few days) having fun in that place.
    Porter, Laurie, Chris, Ryan and everyone else have done a great job.

14. johnInLA

johnInLA Pooh-Bah (2,286) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The one thing that I would like to see there is 32 oz or 1 liter growlers.

Tgilly likes this.
  15. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

They are easily either my favorite LA Brewery, ESBC is catching up recently, but there is still a bit of distance.

My only complaint is that the regular offerings, are nearly the same price as the limited releases. I for one would love for them to drop the regular offering prices a bit so they could be a fridge staple, and raise the limited prices a bit to make up for it.
    Don't get me wrong, not complaining that I just picked up 3 limiteds from them a few weeks ago for not much more than the regular bottles, but the price keeps me from keeping Coffee Porter and Squirrel in my fridge on a regular basis.

16. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Pooh-Bah (1,945) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Pooh-Bah

agree ESBC is killing it lately. Highland Park is up there for me, partially for homer reasons. but they are also putting out a ton of good stuff, and so early on

in my opinion Smog City has the best repertoire overall. they make such a large variety of beers, and do most of them very, very well. but what makes them really stand out is their barrel program (and it's so early on). Infinite Wishes is a world class ba stout. Goldie and Bourbon OE are outstanding. can't wait for whatever else is coming down the pike

also, like jnace said, good people behind the brewery. and the tasting room has a great vibe

wish it was in Silver Lake

17. pro100

pro100 Zealot (543) Oct 12, 2014 California

Going to stop by Smog City at the end of this week. Torrance is turning into a brewery mecca. Just discovered Three Weavers which is in my neck of the woods in Inglewood. Good stuff indeed. I also want to take a drive out to Progress Brewery in El Monte one day soon

18. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Pooh-Bah (1,871) Jul 9, 2010 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Progress is okay, but it's nothing mind blowing. Worth checking out but nothing to get excited about. Hopefully they get better

19. GravyRobber

GravyRobber Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2015 California

My favorite brewery in LA county, hands down. Like others have said, the staff there is out of sight. Laid back and approachable even when they have an insanely packed house like last weekend's anniversary party.
    For those who aren't fans of the price of their regular releases, check your local Costco. I've seen coffee Porter at a number of locations for around $6. Don't forget, you don't need a membership to purchase alcohol at Costco in CA.

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  20. Alpha309

Alpha309 Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2014 California

This is how I show appreciation

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Black_Rider likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.