Sixpoint Hi-Res

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BeerTwigs, Jan 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roguer

Roguer Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,757) Mar 25, 2013 Connecticut
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I almost always have Resin in my fridge; it's a go-to (D)IPA for me (along with DirtWolf). Hi-Res just showed up for me locally this past week; probably going to try my first one today.

@Sixpoint we really appreciate your posts in here.

cello, fmccormi, ufmj and 1 other person like this.
  2. PottstownBeerGuy

PottstownBeerGuy Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2013 Pennsylvania

Six point is definitely gaining popularity among beer geeks! I enjoy several of there styles so can't wait to try this one (if I can find it). Anyone know approximate price for a case? Six pack?

3. jammalamma

jammalamma Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 New Hampshire

Had this yesterday - relatively light bodied, smoother mouthfeel and hop presents than resin, sweet but not grossly and not a malt bomb like you'd expect with an IPA this big.. pretty great for 11.1%. Only real down side is theres no big nose with it- still a very solid beer.

fugazidps likes this.
  4. DerrickW

DerrickW Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 Georgia

What style is it? Everything I've read about this beer suggests that it's an IPA. Any reason the style type is not on the can? Thanks for the insight.

5. fugazidps

fugazidps Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 New York

Comes in 4 packs. the resin is $9.99 and the Hi-Res is $11.99 near me on Long Island.

6. DrRambis

DrRambis Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2014 New Jersey

From my understanding Six Point doesn't really make beers according to traditional styles, or you could say the just eschew the whole idea of beer styles. They put the ABV, IBU and SRM right on the front of the beer. They have a more scientific approach compared to most breweries who consider their beer more of an artistic process; or at least thats how they market themselves.

If you want to label it as a triple IPA you could, but you could equally call it an american barleywine.

EDIT: I've looked at their website and they call it a "triple IPA"

wonothesane42 likes this.
  7. SCW

SCW Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2004 New York

Hi there,

It could loosely be categorized as a "triple IPA" but its more of a concept beer. We are releasing a full video about it within the next couple of weeks so that will help explain the narrative a bit better.

Our intention is to brew to taste, not to brew according to style guidelines. With the Hi-Res, we wanted to extract as much of the "juice" out of the hops without just making it a puckering bitterbomb. The Resin shows off more of the bittering power of hops, whereas the Hi-Res shows off the juicy flavor of the hops.

Thanks for giving us the consideration and time.

cheers

8. DerrickW

DerrickW Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 Georgia

Thanks for the explanation. I have a few left in the fridge to revisit so we'll see if the second go-around is any different.

9. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Can you tell me where that is located? I don't disbelieve you, i've just not come across any mention of styles, especially with regard to hi-res on their site. Thank you.

10. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

found it on the side where it lists events. Odd that they would mention triple ipa and double ipa, even though they go through a lot of promotion about not assigning any "styles" to their beers (which I is great i think).

11. orchestrion

orchestrion Initiate (0) Jan 29, 2013 Indiana

I know I'm in the minority here, but Hi-Res tasted way too sweet to me, regardless of style or lack thereof. It was like a barleywine turned up to 11 with a bunch of aroma hops. I also don't see how people think the booze is hidden (not that it's a bad thing, I just think it tastes and smells incredibly strong). That said, I do love Resin, Bengali Tiger, and Sweet Action a hell of a lot. Sixpoint is usually one of the first breweries I recommend to friends who want to try something new.

Ilovelampandbeer and fugazidps like this.
  12. SCW

Hi Doc,

If you were to go the route of calling it an American Barleywine, that would not really capture the essence of the direction of this beer. If it were a barley wine we'd probably use a lot more caramel and crystal malts, and also increase the bittering hops to hold up aging in the can and keg.

The reality is this beer is in a class of its own. We predict people will struggle to identify what category to put it in, but we brew to taste and not style - and this might be a bit ahead of its time. This is a concept beer, one that desires to extract as much "tropical juice" out of the hops in a big embrace of a beer, one that is tropically persuasive. Dig it.

DrRambis and fmccormi like this.
  13. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Grand Pooh-Bah (3,586) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society

I dig it.

SCW likes this.
  14. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This brew has a hell of a nose on it. Damn does it smell good.

DrStiffington and SCW like this.
  15. SCW

Interested to hear what you think it smells like. One of our fans/customers wrote and said it smelled like "a bouquet of fresh sliced pineapple and mango"

DrChadly likes this.
  16. fmccormi

fmccormi Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2010 California

Agreed.
    Not that you asked :slight_smile:rolleyes:slight_smile:, but this is what I thought of the nose: "This has an almost syrupy combination of mango and passionfruit nectar, sappy resin, nearly-disguised booze, some slightly dank, herbal character underneath, and then just a load more of that thick, almost overripe, tropical-juicy scent. Performs pretty damn well for its size and place in the range of this style."

I enjoyed it quite a bit.

upsbeernut likes this.
  17. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Crusader (455) May 21, 2013 Ohio

Just had one and I liked it a lot. Dangerously drinkable for as much alcohol that's in it.

beerdedking likes this.
  18. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Savant (1,099) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Going to my local growler tomorrow Exhibit ale he's a lawyer. Hi res can't wait along with a growler of hop ranch never had it either.

19. ChrisMyhre

ChrisMyhre Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Just tried it tonight, very nice, despite the thoughts on here I thought it smelled good, can taste the booze a bit but that doesn't bother me.

20. upsbeernut

upsbeernut Savant (1,099) Sep 22, 2011 Georgia

Un believably picture, so clear . My mouth is watering right now, getting a growler tomorrow. Picture contest that's my vote on the next forum.

WreckedPalate likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.