Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. - Our Story (video)

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Todd, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

"We’ve brewed beer we love for more than 30 years, and our pioneering spirit is stronger than ever."

2. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2012 California

Came off as marketing fluff to me. Cool stock footage of the wilderness?

brewbetter likes this.
  3. HeyJim

HeyJim Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

Nice video, if not a bit maudlin for a video about beer. I'll be damned if I don't want a SNPA now though.

4. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

"It's the flavor that I look for, because it tastes like home...."

Couldn't have said it better myself. All the years I spent abroad, I would still find myself periodically craving that Sierra Nevada house-style flavor. Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

5. thebigredone

thebigredone Pooh-Bah (1,592) Dec 19, 2011 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Neat video, though I don't really understand why the majority of the video appears to be random nature shots and people jumping off bridges and such. Would have liked to see more video specifically relating to the brand/brewery/customers.

6. Handle

Handle Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2009 North Carolina

In came off as marketing to me, sure, but as marketing at its best. It's about the product and the people, not some hilarious situation at a party or a dog named "Weego". This is how you tell your company's story. They really captured the company culture, to me, and the reasons I am one of Sierra Nevada's biggest fans.

They also redesigned their site -- I encourage you to check it out. www.sierranevada.com

7. HeyJim

HeyJim Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2012 Pennsylvania

But they really DIDN'T tell you much. Shots of people jumping in rivers and buffalo sneezing and cloud topped mountains, while prettier and more emotional than goofy parties with a dog named Weego, still don't tell me much about the beer.

8. mcaulifww

mcaulifww Initiate (0) Aug 18, 2011 Virginia

just spent 20 minutes on their site. Looks great. The video was cool, especially the guy at his computer reviewing Celebration, lol

smutty33 and Handle like this.
  9. Handle

I think the point of the video is to tell their story. Obviously beer's the biggest part of that, but don't we all know about the beer itself? I think this approach is far more effective than someone telling you about the beer.

But that's just me. I can understand why people wouldn't care for it, I guess.

gshak likes this.
  10. CommanderOfAwesome

Agreed, full of stock nature footage....cool. Meh, I was indifferent certaintly didn't "tear up" as someone else said they did. Just marketing. Told me nothing.

11. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Pundit (890) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

I continue to love Sierra Nevada more and more

TallSaint likes this.
  12. CommanderOfAwesome

But their story in the video was fluff. No substance, so you had a tough time selling your first beer and you like the environment? That's literally all I got out of that. The old sam adams commercials were more effective.

13. herrburgess

herrburgess Grand Pooh-Bah (3,053) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

I didn't have a problem with the imagery. Hops fields they harvest from, water they brew with, and "terroir" of the place that produces what are, for me at least, *the* iconic U.S. craft beers. Maybe it's another case of beer geeks' "anxiety of influence" regarding anything that remotely resembles BMC and/or its marketing practices? Either that or they only get excited for pictures of waxed bombers with cartoon character labels all lined up on a kitchen counter?

14. Handle

At the end of the day, the video either speaks to you or it doesn't. I enjoyed it but understand if people want to hear more about the beer (the new website is a nice resource for this, by the way).

15. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

got to see this last week at Beer Camp (did i mention i went to beer camp?!?! sorry excited)

Mercury Rev and Sierra Nevada? video gave me chills first time i saw it

16. Lordquackingstic

Lordquackingstic Pundit (974) Jun 14, 2011 New York
    Trader

Sort of reminds me of the Deschutes Landmarks video.

17. gshak

gshak Savant (1,186) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

18. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

...except that girl was beautiful.

19. gshak

gshak Savant (1,186) Feb 20, 2011 Texas

Couldn't find it - would you mind sharing the link pls? Thanks!

20. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Enjoyed the video. I get what they were going for.
    They aren't pitching their product necessarily, they are pitching a lifestyle and a spirit.
    It doesn't exactly grab me as I have never been to the mountains, or caught a fish in my mouth.
    Maye one day....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.