Should BAs start staying away from Goose Island?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hitter114, May 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hitter114

hitter114 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Colorado

Because they are owned by Inbev, I hear a lot of complaining about becks for instance not being brewed in Germany anymore and owned by Inbev, but it seems people are ok with goose island being owned by this corporate giant and ruiner of the beer world. Discuss..

2. hitter114

hitter114 Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2011 Colorado

obviously their beer is still good (ie. better than beck's) so lets not start there

fox227, nickapalooza86 and DelMontiac like this.
  3. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Pundit (890) Apr 8, 2008 Washington

If you don't like Goose Island beer, then I feel you should stay away from it. I happen to love some of their offerings, so I buy it.

4. JMagee

JMagee Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 New York

That time of the month again it seems.

I personally appreciate the idea of InBev being a big, bad company, and the idea that it is probably a detriment to smaller, craft breweries, as well as beer itself.

But I'll be damned if Goose Island still doesn't make delicious beer.

So I'm not saying I support InBev and I'm not saying I don't. But until the quality falls off, I'm sticking with GI.

Dat BCBS and Sofie

5. Bad_Trader

Bad_Trader Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Namibia

Who are these people who care where Becks is brewed?

6. jeremy13586

jeremy13586 Initiate (0) Apr 6, 2007 Pennsylvania

People should just drink what they like.

7. redblacks75

redblacks75 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2010 Iowa

BA's can drink whatever they want.

If a BA chooses not to support a corporately owned brewery fine, if a BA does, fine as well.

Just don't impose your ideology on me.

P.S. maybe you shouldn't listen to Phish as they are on Elektra records, and they are owned by Warner Music Group, another corporation.

8. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts

Stay away from BCBS? Haha no.

9. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

I have no problem buying Tecate, or High Life.......should I turn in my "BA" card?

10. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

I understand the reason why some people want to boycott them.

Personally, the only offering of theirs that I like enough to buy over a competing beer in the first place is BCBS, and since the price tag is so high, I haven't even bought it since using a coupon on a four pack a couple years ago. So my reason for generally not buying GI is simply because I enjoy other offerings (in the same price ranger) better.

11. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

I drink what I like and I don't care who makes it. Also, I don't care if people say I'm a sellout because of it

dan027, djl9701, DStoked and 9 others like this.
  12. MaxOhle

MaxOhle Initiate (0) Nov 10, 2012 Illinois

If they still make good beer, then why not? One of my favorite breweries.

13. alk3kenny

alk3kenny Pundit (776) Oct 21, 2004 Georgia

Drink what you like and if that happens to be GI then go for it...

14. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I don't.

jammalamma, dan027, albertq17 and 3 others like this.
  15. palmdalethriller

palmdalethriller Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2007 California

Thus far there hasn't been much of a change in the way Goose Island does business - at least not on the kind of level we recognize as consumers. If Goose Island starts participating in payola schemes and AB-InBev starts using it's financial (and political) clout to bully Goose Island into markets at the expense of independently-owned breweries - then I think it would be time to call for a boycott.

As for me, Goose Island doesn't pop up much in my local market, so avoiding them isn't hard. I think like others have said though, if you feel like you shouldn't support them, go right ahead. But I think calling for an outright BA boycott is a little premature right now.

16. palmdalethriller

palmdalethriller Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2007 California

Because AB-InBev represents a whole lot of what's wrong with both massive corporations, big business and the beer industry. So since Goose Island is now owned by them, some people consider boycotting Goose Island. That wasn't clear?

Caleb, poopinmybutt, kell50 and 3 others like this.
  17. ElderPuma

ElderPuma Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2012

I'd love for BAs to stay away from GI, more for me. Until they start making only bad beer I will pursue their best offerings and enjoy them tremendously.

vicsju1991, MaxOhle and alelover like this.
  18. breakingbland

breakingbland Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2013 Michigan

Matilda is one of my current favorites. Plus I'm having fun working my way through their other Belgian offerings, so as long as I can find their beer anywhere, I'm in!

dan027 likes this.
  19. HighWine

HighWine Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

It's clear but the logic is flawed and the whole point is stupid.

Higy, pjl44, dan027 and 5 others like this.
  20. bleakies

bleakies Maven (1,319) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I enjoy the occasional GI brew, so when I found out it was produced under the lash in Chinese political detention centers I thought, "I don't care, I really like it."

vicsju1991, DirtyPenny, evilc and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.