Shmaltz Brewing Company Opens 50-Barrel Brewery with 20,000 Barrels of Capacity in Upstate New York

Discussion in 'Beer News' started by Todd, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

CELEBRATED CONTRACT BREWING ADVOCATE BECOMES OFFICIAL BREWERY OWNER

Brewing Production to Begin in April/May 2013; Grand Opening on Sunday, July 7, 2013

Clifton Park, NY - Friday, March 22, 2013 - After 16 years as one of contract brewing's loudest cheerleaders,Shmaltz Brewing Company, handcrafters of HE'BREW - The Chosen Beer® and Coney Island Craft Lagers®, is breaking with tradition and opening its own New York State production brewery. Located in Clifton Park, NY, 10 minutes north of Albany's capital district, Shmaltz's new home boasts a 50-barrel brewhouse with 20,000 barrels of annual capacity. With a $3.25 million dollar budget and countless hours of planning and preparation, what began as an improbable fantasy only one year ago, has blossomed into a nearly 20,000 square foot brewing reality.

The first stainless kettles were delivered this week and the inaugural brew date is targeted for late-April. Packaging should commence in May and June, and Shmaltz projects bringing 100% of its production in-house by mid-to-late summer.

The heart of Shmaltz's new operation features a custom-made, 5-vessel manual workhorse brewhouse as well as 8 fermentation and 2 bright beer tanks manufactured in the US from Oregon's JV Northwest. The 120-bottle-per-minute packaging line comes from the well respected Italian experts at SBC/BC International. The new Shmaltz brewery will package 12 and 22 ounce bottles and kegs of their diverse core and seasonal favorites. Several new releases and collaborations are on tap for 2013, and Shmaltz will continue their acclaimed exploration of barrel-aging with a current inventory of more than 300 bourbon, rye whiskey, and tequila barrels.

The brewery projects hiring upwards of 10 full time staff for the new operation in addition to the dozen staffers currently handling sales, marketing and contract brewing operations. The space also touts a 1,700 square foot tasting room, and roughly 800 square feet of office space.

Even with this new beginning, Shmaltz will be piloted under the watchful and experienced eyes of the same dynamic team that's brought the craft beer world many years of delicious beer and delicious shtick, including Jeremy Cowan (Proprietor), Bob Craven (General Manager), Matt Polacheck (Art Director), Zak Davis (National Sales Manager), Jesse P. Cutler (PR Director), and Paul McErlean (Consulting Brewmaster who created every recipe in Shmaltz's award-winning family of beers).

Financing is coming from the judicious funding of loans from community-based Ballston Spa National Bank, the New York Business Development Corporation (NYBDC) using the SBA 504 program, and additional assistance from San Francisco-based Wells Fargo Bank. A limited amount of additional equity was raised from personal friends and family, many longtime supporters of Cowan and Shmaltz Brewing.

A press event and ribbon cutting ceremony will be announced shortly for late April or early May. The official, public grand opening bash will take place on Sunday, July 7, 2013. Specific details will be announced soon. Following the opening, craft beer enthusiasts will be able to enjoy the nectar of the new brewery gods at Shmaltz's tasting room throughout the year. Brewery tours will be available to the public - times will be announced this summer.

What began in 1996 as a sincere experiment of 100 cases of beer delivered out of the back of founder Jeremy Cowan's grandmother's Volvo, has grown into a 200,000 case per year operation (over 12,000 barrels), grossing $3.9 million in sales in 2012, a 42% increase over 2011. The Shmaltz Tribe honors these contract brewing roots while embracing the miracle of new life in Clifton Park, NY, envisioning its expansion as a 50-barrel playground for brewing exceptional specialty beers and hosting a growing family of enthusiastic consumers at its new home.

L'Chaim!
    About Shmaltz Brewing CompanyRanked in 2013 as one of the "Top 100 Brewers in the World" by RateBeer.com, Shmaltz won 9 Gold and 5 Silver Medals in the Word Beer Championships in 2012. A recipient of the "Distinguished Business Award" by the Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce, Shmaltz was also included in the "Top 50 Fastest Growing Bay Area Companies" by San Francisco Business Times.

Established in San Francisco in 1996 with the first batch of 100 cases of HE'BREW Beer® bottled, labeled, and delivered by hand, Shmaltz has sold more than ten million bottles of beer to date. Along with their acclaimed line of HE'BREW Beers®, Shmaltz introduced its sideshow-inspired Coney Island Craft Lagers® which celebrate the spirit of “America’s Playground”. Shmaltz offerings are available in more than 30 states through 35 wholesalers at more than 3,500 retail specialty shops across the U.S.

In 2010/11, Shmaltz proprietor Jeremy Cowan published his small business memoir, Craft Beer Bar Mitzvah: How It Took 13 Years, Extreme Jewish Brewing, and Circus Sideshow Freaks to Make Shmaltz Brewing Company an International Success. A free sampling of Chapter One and suggested beer pairings, can be viewed at http://www.craftbeerbarmitzvah.com.

With the opening of the "World's Smallest Brewery" in Coney Island, NY (1-gallon at a time, since 2011), Cowan spearheaded the creation of the non-profit New York City Brewers Guild in 2012 and serves as its President.

Cowan will appear at the 2013 Craft Brewers Conference speaking about the transition from contract brewing to in-house production as well as small batch brand strategies. He has also presented at the Great American Beer Festival, BevNet's Brewbound conference, Beer Advocate's Extreme Beer Festival, the Atlanta and the St. Louis Jewish Book Fairs, and the San Francisco and New York Jewish Museums.

Shmaltz Brewing beers have appeared in such distinguished media outlets as The New York Times, CNN Headline News, The Onion, Fox Business News, Beer Advocate Magazine, Celebrator Beer News, Ale Street News, NPR's "Weekend Edition," New York Magazine, Men's Health, Playboy, Associated Press, Reuters, MSNBC, San Francisco Magazine, The Jerusalem Report, New York Jewish Week, Washington Post, MAXIM, Forbes.com, Smartmoney.com, Entrepreneur.com, Epicurious.com and BrewBound.com.

For more information, please visit: http://www.shmaltzbrewing.com

###

Chaz likes this.
  2. crusian

crusian Pooh-Bah (1,989) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah

Huh, wonder if this means a price increase...

3. scootsmal

scootsmal Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2012 New York

Looking forward to this, 15 minutes from my house

4. nineball

nineball Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2013 New York

Right in my backyard! Anyone else from clifton park?
    Back on topic-this is great news, perfect location.... 10 minutes from Albany and 10 minutes from Sararoga Springs. Saratoga is THE place to be in NYS during track (thoroughbreds) season during the summer. I think they will have a lot of success here...

5. OldStormalong

OldStormalong Aspirant (248) Nov 24, 2009 Massachusetts

Makes me wonder what will happen to the Olde Saratoga Brewery, which did most (all?) of the contract brewing for Schmaltz. They still have the east-coast brewing of Mendocino beers, and I guess Kingfisher, but neither of those seem to be flying off the shelves... Some good people work there, and they do some good brewing when given good recipes. I hope for the best for them...

sandman3479 likes this.
  6. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Pooh-Bah (1,969) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

If the brewery is almost open, I'm hoping they have something lined up. This can't be a surprise at this point. But I agree, some nice people over there and it's a great spot to hang out and avoid the crowds during the summer. Tasting room that allows you to order in food is my kinda place!

7. codasnap52

codasnap52 Zealot (730) Jan 24, 2008 Connecticut
    Trader

Olde Saratoga should still be ok with other contracts. I believe they still make Southampton beers and I'm sure they will continue to contract brew, esp with so many new brewing outfits popping up left and right. They should be fine. That being said, as someone who went to college in Schenectady and as a big fan of the Capitol Region, this is awesome news!

8. scootsmal

scootsmal Initiate (0) Aug 15, 2012 New York

yeah I thought OSB brewed schmaltz already. Checked their webpage and didnt see any mention of Schmaltz in a quick peek. They will be fine. Mendocino isnt huge but its distribution network is large.

9. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

The Shmaltz beers are still listed on Old Saratoga's website under "Contract Brews" as are a few other brands (at least one, City Steam, that's switched over to CT's Two Roads Brewing Co.).

Old Saratoga (actual corporate name "Releta Brewing Co.") is a subsidiary of Mendocino, which in turn is owned by the owner of India's UB Group, brewer of the Kingfisher brand, and a huge international beverage company. (That's why Mendocino/Old Saratoga isn't on the B.A.'s annual "Top 50 Craft Brewers" list.)

Interestingly, Heineken has in recent years bought into the brewing division of the UB Group, owning about 1/3 of the company before a rumored purchase of more last year.

10. billandsuz

billandsuz Pooh-Bah (2,023) Sep 1, 2004 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

I will go our on a limb and state that Shmaltz Brewing will prove to be the fastest growing Hebrew brewery in the North Capital district.

Impressive. They manage to stand out in a very crowded category, and they also market some fine beer. I imagine Schmaltz will now make some fine beer as well.

VonZipper likes this.
  11. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

All they need now is a Hot Dog Charlie's franchise in the tasting room.

highlifeCO and h2opunk182 like this.
  12. beerindex

beerindex Zealot (617) Jun 18, 2007 Michigan

As long as these new barrel aged beers hit distribution, then I am excited. Schmaltz got me into beer, and I will continue to support their brewery.

h2opunk182 likes this.
  13. tolar111

tolar111 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,060) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

VABA, scootsmal and Chaz like this.
  14. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

I'll try that Slingshot Hoppy Lager when it hits shelves near me.

15. jaxon53

jaxon53 Pooh-Bah (2,181) Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Glad to hear the news, Happy for Jeremy!

16. h2opunk182

h2opunk182 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2009 New York

i actually just moved up here from long island to work for them... would love to get to know some fellow BA's since i know nothing of the area!

17. tolar111

tolar111 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,060) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

VABA and scootsmal like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.