1. Trying to obtain a specific beer? Looking for a proxy or trustee? Tired of trading on other platforms? We've got you covered. Join our Beer Trading community to unlock this forum and new features! — Todd, Founder of BeerAdvocate

Sandy Hook Elementary LIF

Discussion in 'Beer It Forward' started by cfh64, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfh64

cfh64 Pooh-Bah (1,996) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Pooh-Bah Trader

As everyone knows on Friday Dec 14th the town of Newtown, CT was struck by a horrible tragedy. 20 children and 6 adults were massacred in an act of senseless violence. Not only did the victims lose their lives but the lives of those who knew them and even those that didn't will never be the same. Parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles, cousins, friends, first responders, etc will be forever scarred by this destruction of life.

Personally, I don't have children but now everytime I drive by a play ground or see a young child I can't help but get choked up thinking of what happened. I can't even comprehend what the families of the victims are going through but I would like to assist in anyway possible.

Therefore, I am starting this LIF to help support the victims, families, and town of Newtown, CT. For the main prize I will be giving away one bottle of King Henry, CCB Imperial Sweet Stout, and a RR Beatification B5 along with a few other TX goodies and potentially wants to whoever wins the LIF. I will also include a "runner up" box of TX beers and possibly some wants.

Rules:
    This is for the lower 48 only please. I have a list of charities to choose from. Choose any of the charities to donate to and for every $10 you donate I will enter your name into the drawing (ie $10 your name goes in once, $20 twice, etc). You are only eligible to win one of the two boxes. The first name drawn will win the main prize and the second name drawn will win the runner up box. I have yet to figure out a way to hold the random drawing where everyone can see it so you will have to trust me (check my history on BA and I hope I go to Hell if I intentionally rig a drawing for a cause like this). BM me a photo of the receipt, screen shot, evidence, etc of how much you donated and to which charity. Feel free to exclude CC number but your name may be necessary to prove the donation, just use common sense. I would like to keep this open until Jan 10th. The drawing will be on Jan 11th.

This is so tough because there are so many charities I wish we could give to all of them but here are a few I found. Feel free to choose any charity but I after watching an interview on CNN last night (link included) I think it would be more personable to donate to Noah's Ark. Click on link to find out more.

Noah's Ark of Hope Fund (fund set up directly for victims siblings who were in same school)
    http://www.cnn.com/video/standard.h...12/12/19/ac-ct-shooting-remembering-noah-pozn

https://noahsarkofhopefund.eventbrite.com/?nomo=1

Newtown Parent Connection
    http://www.newtownparentconnection.org/
    Newtown Memorial Fund
    http://newtownmemorialfund.org/
    Sandy Hook School Support Fund
    https://newtown.uwwesternct.org/
    er.cnn?iref=allsearch
    My Sandy Hook Family Fund https://www.everribbon.com/ribbon/view/10076

There are multiple other charities, including charities specifically for the individual victims and their families (see Noahs Ark above) If you find one that you would like to donate to please BM with a link so I can confirm. If I do ok it, I will post the link in the thread so others can donate to that charity if they choose. * Please do your DD before donating to a charity, unfortunately there have been confirmed reports of people setting up fake charities for this cause.

I would hope that something as trivial as beer isn't the reason you donate to this cause but think of the beers as a "thank you" from me to you for helping these victims and their families. Thanks in advance to everyone who donates.

Sincerely,
    Brad

2. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

3. cfh64

Pooh-Bah Trader

Alert!!!!!!!! A very generous BA, whom many of us are already familiar with :wink: and wishes to remain anonymous has graciously donated 1 Bourbon County Cherry Rye, 2 BBPT5th and 2 BCBS to the main prize! Thank you sir!

Edit: If it's easier for anyone to show proof of donation through regular email just send it to cfh64@sbcglobal.net and title it Sandy Hook donation. Be sure to include your BA name and I'll send you a confirmation via BM. Just give some time, it's just me, thanks.

4. TWStandley

TWStandley Pooh-Bah (2,030) Jan 15, 2008 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Done and Done...very admirable for you to do this.

Thoughts and prayers to the families.

5. DaveHack

DaveHack Maven (1,409) Mar 28, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Brad,

Your sir are an awesome BA, awesome person, and just a hell of a guy.

Cheers!

6. NJOssie

NJOssie Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2012 New Jersey

thanks for doing this Brad... My brother is not far from there and the amount of texts and calls I got that day asking if he and my nephew were ok really hit me

7. DSlim71

DSlim71 Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2010 New Jersey

Great to see this type of thread, I ran one a few months back and raised over $500 for Leukemia & Lymphoma thanks to our generous BA brethren.

I ended up filming the drawing and posting it to youtube so people could watch it if they felt the need to. It worked fine and did not have any issues with it. Here's a link to it if you'd like to check it out: http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...donations-to-a-great-cause.45155/#post-579401

edit: I'll be donating tonight, my work computer is blocking the donation site for some reason.

8. NJOssie

couldn't get it to go through for Noah so I did the United Way one.. email sent

9. cfh64

Pooh-Bah Trader

10. funkyaudio

funkyaudio Pundit (983) Feb 14, 2009 Illinois

Donated and BM'd awesome ideal :slight_smile:. What a great way to raise money for a great cause.

11. Penguin3200

Penguin3200 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2008 Minnesota

Donated and BM sent. Awesome and important idea.

12. cfh64

Pooh-Bah Trader

Thanks for posting this Scott, everyone pleeeeeeeeeeease keep this in mind. I want to keep this thread positive and non confrontational. Thanks!

13. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

Webcam + google hangout seems legit for a live drawing.

I'll be donating tonight.

14. cfh64

Pooh-Bah Trader

I can look into it but I'm so computer illiterate it's not even funny. My home computer is jacked, can an iPad support that kind of hook up? I also looked into random.org but I believe that requires email addresses. If anyone knows of any other websites that will do a random draw I don't mind assigning numbers or whatever and paying a small fee. Any and all ideas welcome.

15. stxSS07

stxSS07 Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2010 Illinois

Fantastic idea! If I can find $10 in change around here I'm in.

16. NJOssie

Brad, I think anyone donating is probably a stand up person and would be cool with the honor system. I trust you as I know this was a selfless act by you.

17. BrewtifulMind

BrewtifulMind Initiate (0) Aug 8, 2011 California

Donated and forwarded my e-mail confirmation to you. Although I'm not a parent yet, my heart aches for everybody that was involved in this tragedy. It's just a waste of pure and innocent life. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for bringing these charities to our attention. It really means a lot and I'm glad that I could be a part of this.

18. tut2528

tut2528 Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2008 Illinois

You sir, are one hell of a BA.

I will donate tonight, but please do NOT put my name into the drawing. Personally, I do not feel that winning the beers is the reward. Awesome LIF brother.

19. cfh64

Pooh-Bah Trader

Thanks for the confidence. There are so many potential issues with doing the drawing. Sure I could possibly do a webcam, it would be more fun, but who's to say I put everyone's names in for each time they donated $10? Basically, filming doesn't confirm my honesty, it just adds to the fun. Again, there is no way I would ever not be fair and honest. I have tried to think of other ways to validate the drawing (ie have another BA do it, I wish I could find a judge to do it,etc) but who's to say I still didn't have an influence?

This is something I rarely bring up because I think for the most part its insignificant but if it matters to anyone I am a FF/Paramedic and have been for 10+ years. I'm not an angel by any means but honesty and integrity are something I strongly value. I also think the people on this site who know me personally or have traded with me can confirm that.

On a side note, many people have told me "thank you for doing this". I'm not the one to thank, all I'm doing is giving away about $50 worth of beer to help support families and a community in need outside of our own. I appreciate the thanks but thank yourselves and everyone else who donates to the cause.

20. cfh64

Pooh-Bah Trader

I gotchya but like I said I hope no one is donating just for the beer. I don't view it as a reward, I view it as a thankyou. If you change your mind you're more than welcome to enter, just let me know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.