Russian River to start filling Generic Growlers

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by jamex, Mar 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamex

jamex Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2010 California

Via Russian River Brewing Company's Facebook:

2. jamex

jamex Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2010 California

Sorry about the double post. Someone beat me by a few seconds I guess. Cheers!

3. abecall98

abecall98 Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2007 California
    Trader

Cool, I only have 2 growlers from there, so if I get one of these GENERICS, I can come home with 3 growlers of Russian River Beer without purchasing another growler there.

4. Ynot2

Ynot2 Zealot (641) Jul 24, 2009 California
    Trader

I hope others will follow the lead of RR.

huadog and MykelJH like this.
  5. thatinvisibo

thatinvisibo Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2005 California

If you follow the link they posted and look at the Growler Clarification, they show RR's new growler hanger. There are also pictures of the growlers with those hangers that have been wrapped in opaque shrink wrap (which is what the guild is recommending breweries to use). While that doesn't necessarily mean Russian River will be using it, I definitely hope so since that seems like the perfect solution to cover any labels.

Also also: you don't actually need a separate printed tag for all beers in all sizes; you actually can just have one tag with an area to write that stuff in (as long as its still pre approved). Glad to hear that, since I seem to remember people thinking every beer would need its own printed label in order to be sold.

Anyways, all great news. I'm glad the Guild released these guidelines, since this should hopefully make the transition to unmarked growlers MUCH smoother. And it's certainly good to see that Russian River is going to be the poster child of the new growler laws. A brewery as well known as them making these changes should be a pretty big push for other breweries to make the changes as well.

blguillen likes this.
  6. JasonFromLA

JasonFromLA Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 California

Russian River supporting this is huge! I can't see how any other breweries can argue with accepting it now that I can get a blank growler full of Pliny.

7. rrryanc

rrryanc Pundit (884) May 19, 2006 California

From the locked thread, this is exactly the kind of response that I was looking for from breweries. Well done Russian River.

errantnight and flexabull like this.
  8. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I always figured RR would do this, I'm glad they're doing it quickly, at least compared to most big-name places.

9. PaulStoneAnchor

PaulStoneAnchor Initiate (0) May 30, 2009 California

I am really excited to hear now that RR is going to keep the ball rolling, after Alesmith. I think the only thing I am waiting for is to get a fill in my 3L Double Bastard or my 3L Eclipse Growlers. Soon...:grinning:

afrokaze, Seanvino and JustXBeer like this.
  10. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

Kind of surprised PMR hasn't made a statement yet, given what he was trying to do last year. Definite another step in the right direction!

CAbeerCAbeerCA likes this.
  11. Seanvino

Seanvino Devotee (375) Jan 5, 2009 California

Paul per the link in the OP:
    You better start lobbying RRBC to include the 3L size in their label applications:grinning:

PaulStoneAnchor and jamex like this.
  12. PaulStoneAnchor

PaulStoneAnchor Initiate (0) May 30, 2009 California

I definitely should. I mean they sell cork and cage 3L, but not resealable swing top 3L. Hopefully they might read this thread, because I am always looking for 3L of Blind Pig or Pliny! :grinning: But even if they end up not doing 3L swing tops, they should definitely have a tag ready to fill some. :slight_smile:

13. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I highly doubt that they'll do 3Ls, they'd be a fucking bitch to fill because of the odd size. Can't fit that under taps.

14. litheum94

litheum94 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2008 California

Finally! I hope that other CA breweries will follow their lead and I won't have to buy a billion growlers.

15. Rinkor16

Rinkor16 Crusader (499) Dec 12, 2011 California

Pretty exciting... Except for the fact that I have 7 RR growlers...

16. ZacJay

ZacJay Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2011 California

Hoping to make it up there during spring break. The more growlers I can get filled the better.

17. Stevicus

Stevicus Aspirant (281) Jul 1, 2009 California

Anyone close enough to RR really needs to check themselves over this. You have access to some of what is considered the best beers in the world, and you are bitching about being able to finally use your Rock Bottom Brewery Growler. On principal that is pretty weak, on your wallet, even weaker. If they were smart they would card for Santa Rosa folks, give them a good deal, and bone everyone else. Bring your own glass, 30 bucks a fill for out-of-towners. You notice no one is clamoring to get their RR growler filled at BJs or something.

18. grilledsquid

grilledsquid Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2009 California
    Trader

What's the point of your post? This recent clarification benefits everyone.

afrokaze and teamizm like this.
  19. RedBeeron

RedBeeron Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2012 California

Homers gonna home, bro

20. JasonFromLA

JasonFromLA Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 California

The move by Russian River to support generic growlers can only be seen as a positive for all California BAs, as well as anyone who enjoys trading CA beers or trading for CA beers.

litheum94 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.