Russian River - Pliny The Younger (2014)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by BottleCaps80, Jan 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. founder26

founder26 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

Look for bottles of pliny the elder, your friends will still love you.

2. jncastillo87

jncastillo87 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2013 Texas

Ill do it.

founder26 likes this.
  3. Erik-P

Erik-P Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

any word/rumors on portland releases?? i may possibly be heading down there early feb

4. nattomoto

nattomoto Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2014 Oregon

From Russian River's website:

"We will begin distributing Pliny the Younger on draft the week of February 10th in and around Sonoma County and the Bay Area. Stone will likely pick up their shipment for Southern California that week or the following week. We will be sending kegs to our distributors in San Jose, Sacramento, Oregon, Colorado, and Philadelphia sometime in February, ship dates TBD"

Looks like they won't make it up here til the end of February.

5. Cboat

Cboat Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 California

I did this a few years ago and lucked out with winning their Lambic raffle. That day was easily one of the most glorious beer drinking days I've ever had. Granted, I got there at 9:30 and was the 6th person in line, and they opened at like 11... Monks is definitely the spot for PtY in Philly.

6. kdb150

kdb150 Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

If by "spot," you mean "worst spot," then yeah. I love Monk's, but overpriced pours in the name of charity and long lines are not my idea of a great event. It's not all their fault, as serving large crowds in their tiny space presents a huge logistical challenge, but I've been to 3 other PtY events over the last couple of years; all were far better than what you have to go through at Monk's. And that taplist is nothing special; most places with a PtY event bring a tap list every bit as good if not better.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  7. Cboat

Cboat Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2012 California

I definitely get where you're coming from since it is a very tight space. The advantage I had was that I snagged a seat at the bar, made some friends, and was happy to make a $15 donation to charity for a PtY pour. They weren't accepting tips or anything for the $15 PtY pour, and every $$ spent on those pours went to Alex's Lemonade Stand (http://www.alexslemonade.org/) which I am happy to support. Plus the rest of the RR pours were all in the $5-$7 range, which is what I expected in terms of price. Moreover, I remember that RR caught wind of the charity push (via awesome beer raffles and PtY pours) and matched their donations which is pretty cool.

8. sisterthelonious

sisterthelonious Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Pretty much every good beer bar in San Diego will get at least one keg at some point. Some announce ticket sales/raffles, some just give a date and time of tapping. Some surprise you completely. O'Brien's and Blind Lady usually do tickets. Toronado and Hamilton's will announce on their webpages/facebook pages. Other bars will do the same, I'd imagine. I think SD usually sees 12-15 kegs every February/March.

BridgetownBuddha likes this.
  9. sisterthelonious

For something North of San Diego, Churchill's is a good bet, too.

10. MrDave

MrDave Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 California

Word of advice: don't go to the brewery. Better to hang around SF or Oakland waiting for it to show up at one of the dozens of bars. Follow the usual suspects' FB feeds while you enjoy fresh offering from Drake's or Cellarmaker. Use the Pacific forum on here to find out which bars will likely get a keg.

sisterthelonious likes this.
  11. sisterthelonious

That way, you also get to enjoy all the other great beers available in the area. Check out Toronado too. They'll get at least a few kegs.

12. Itoclown

Itoclown Zealot (580) Jun 19, 2008 Michigan
    Trader

I can't wait for this. Not even just PtY... But to get the hell out of this Midwest weather! Hopefully no flight delays.

rifle3 and stealth like this.
  13. stealth

stealth Pooh-Bah (1,819) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

I'll be in Santa Rosa a couple days so maybe I'll do both :slight_smile: Going to RR is sort of a mecca trip for me though, so it will happen regardless of any of the great tips and advice posted here, hah.

Whatdyisit and Texasfan549 like this.
  14. sisterthelonious

Make sure you find someplace to drink some Moonlight, too.

15. jeffdill

jeffdill Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2012 Washington

I hoping there's some convenient ticketed event on a weekend so I can drive out to Philly this year!

16. olekern

olekern Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2010 California

That would be Flavor Bistro, a block and a half down the street in Courthouse Square, their "unofficial taproom". Flavor has the five regulars (Bombay by Boat IPA, Death & Taxes, Lunatic Lager, Reality Czech Pils and Twist of Fate ESB) and whatever happens to be the "special" beer. Moonlight is supposed to have a real taproom out sometime towards summer.

sisterthelonious and stealth like this.
  17. JKV96

JKV96 Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2013 Massachusetts

What places are good to try for PtY? I am gonna be down that way right around when it should be out and would like to try and get to try it if possible?

18. MrDave

MrDave Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2013 California

If you want less of a shit show, you have to get out of the City. Get on the east side of the bay: Beer Revolution in Oakland, the Bistro in Hayward, Cato's in Piedmont - they all get PtY every year.

19. VDODSON

VDODSON Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 North Dakota

Any word on the price of the twelve packs at the grocery stores?

EyePeeAyBryan, amp138, ajzy and 2 others like this.
  20. rifle3

rifle3 Aspirant (225) Jul 20, 2008 Michigan

This X 2. Although you have definitely have it worse than me in last week or two. See ya out there and LMK if you are still planning on Thursday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.