Road trip

Discussion in 'South Atlantic' started by Brewicidaltendencies, Nov 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brewicidaltendencies

Brewicidaltendencies Initiate (131) Nov 2, 2014 Kentucky

I have been a longtime lurker of BA and recently joined not too far back. This is my first post and I was looking for some information and suggestions from anyone willing to be kind enough to take the time to offer them. I am traveling to Disneyworld soon from Kentucky. I am looking to stop and score some good and possibly great brews that I don't have access to here. I will be traveling though WV on I64, then on down I77 through Virginia(Bluefield area), on to North Carolina(Charlotte area), on to South Carolina(Columbia in particular as well as near Charleston), on through Savannah, GA via I95, and finally into Florida(Jacksonville, and of course, Orlando). I live close enough to know WV's selection is limited to say the least. I know about Westbrook and Cigar City, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I read through the Tampa area thread which had some great advice on it. I will be traveling with my kids, so I am just looking mainly for stores or breweries along or near my route. Thank you!

2. bsyoung

bsyoung Initiate (0) Oct 3, 2013 South Carolina

Charlotte would be a good place to stop. Breweries there that you might want to check out are NODA, Birdsong, Olde Mecklenburg. There are also 2 good bottle stores close to the NODA area and they are Salud and Good Bottle Co. Columbia's beer scene isn't as exciting but there are still some good spots. The best brewery in my opinion is Conquest. The best bottle shops are Greens Warehouse and Morganellis. My favorite is Craft and Draft which has a much smaller section however the atmosphere is great. There you can have a beer while shopping for beer. Hope this helps

lateralusbeer likes this.
  3. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,837) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I recently drove from Greensboro, NC to Orlando and back... made a meal stop in Savannah and found a bunch of good beer available from throughout Georgia - I stopped at Crystal Beer Parlor and had Burnt Hickory, Orpheus, Wild Heaven, and Coastal Empire (food was good too).

4. Brewicidaltendencies

Brewicidaltendencies Initiate (131) Nov 2, 2014 Kentucky

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Both will come in handy as I am planning on staying in Charlotte a night on the way down and most likely in Savannah on the trek back. I have heard Charlotte is a good beer city, but I have only been there once several years back. I have spent quite a bit of time in Atlanta and Athens due to having friends there and the beer selection is pretty extensive and grows faster each time I visit.

5. weaverr

weaverr Zealot (705) Jun 10, 2008 California

Savannah is a good city to spend some time in. The downtown historic area is large and very walkable, plus they allow open containers so you can walk around outdoors with your beer. Although depending on when you're traveling, it may be a little chilly to do that.

Distillery, Crystal Beer Parlor and Moon River are all great stops. If you want to do a brewery tour, Service, Southbound and Coastal Empire are all in town. In GA you can't buy a pint from the brewery, but you can pay for a tour that includes a souvenir glass, about 3 pints worth of samples and can optionally include carry-out beer. If you have the family with you, there's plenty of history to walk around and entertain everyone more than just stopping at a bar.

Jacksonville is another good city to stop in if you want to visit some breweries.

6. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,677) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

In Charlotte Brawley's is just off of I-77 and they'll have tons of great locals, plus more. Great people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.