Removing Glassware Logo?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by jbakajust1, Mar 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Anyone have a good way to remove the logo from glassware otherthsn washing it in the dishwasher forthe next three years? I got an old Red Lobster glass that is almost identical in shape and attributes as the new DFH/SN IPA glass, but I'd like to remove the lobster. Thanks for the help.

Also, if I wanted to etch the bottom, how would I do that?

2. jaIsPoAn

jaIsPoAn Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 New York

Razor blade

3. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

etching requires a diamond tipped point, I believe. I bet it's a home depot item.

4. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

And Windex, correct?

5. DrunkethWizard

DrunkethWizard Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

Try slamming it with a huge heavy rock.

DaveHack, awdturboiv, ant880 and 7 others like this.
  6. jaIsPoAn

Maybe some paint thinner

7. jaIsPoAn

Don't see why not

8. DelMontiac

DelMontiac Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2010 Oklahoma

Dude, don't hurt the lobster. He's cool.

nsheehan, RobertColianni and ufmj like this.
  9. Ri0

Ri0 Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2012 Wisconsin

Is it a screen print logo? If so, soaking in laquor thinner should work.

10. BeastLU

BeastLU Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2012 Virginia

By the time you get it off and etch it you might as well just buy the real thing.

11. dap325

dap325 Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2009 New York

You can try acetone, but most screen printed logos on glasses use heat activated ink designed to not budge once heated and set. Sanding/sandblasting would do it, but would definitely cloud the glass. As far has etching, I'm pretty sure they use a laser, so DIY at home wouldn't be an option.

nsheehan likes this.
  12. Andygirl

Andygirl Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2013 Michigan

You can acid etch. Just google "how to acid etch glass". Wear googles and protection, it burns like a SOAB.

OtisCampbell likes this.
  13. quirkzoo

quirkzoo Initiate (0) Jul 7, 2011 Colorado

It depends on how the logo is on the glass. If it is printed on then yes a razor blade should theoretically be able to get it off, your main challenge is going to be not to leave a huge scar. It is also possible that the design is etched into the glass (via chemicals or sandblasting) so you probably want to make sure that is not the case before you start trying to remove the logo.

14. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

If the logo seems to be similar material as Stone Brewing bottles, find a buddy that homebrews and ask him/her for a half gallon of Star-San sanitizer. An overnight soak in that removes the paint from Stone bottles (I've seen some other brands where the painted/silkscreened, stuff is impervious to Star-San.

For etching, you could go to a craft store - they make this paint on stuff called Armor Etch - you put some on and a few minutes later the glass is etched (you'll want to tape off the area you don't want etched) - I have no idea if it is food-safe (if all of the chemical is fully removed after wiping and washing.)

15. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Crusader (407) Oct 26, 2012 Colorado

Sell it to a hipster, they love ironic shit. Seems to me an old Red Lobster glass that looks exactly like the new craft beer/pleasuring glass is pretty ironic.

jgluck likes this.
  16. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Trader

that was actually really funny.

17. caskstrength

caskstrength Zealot (705) Nov 26, 2008 Minnesota

Search "remove logo glass" on google and see what links on homebrewtalk.com show up. Starsan might be what you want.

18. Stinky-Dinkins

Stinky-Dinkins Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 New Hampshire

Why bother? If your aim is to get the glass without any logo whatsoever you can buy it directly from Spiegelau/Riedel (looks like it comes out a couple months from now). It just seems like way too much trouble than it's worth to work the logo off of that specific glass when the base model you're looking for can be had for about 12 bucks each...

As to the "Nucleation" stuff at the bottom, they do that with by etching the bottom of the glass with a laser. Any business that laser engraves on glass should be able to handle whatever you're looking for.... a quick Google search netted me this (keep in mind I know nothing about this website and can't speak to their legitimacy, I've never done business with them).

19. No1Smitty

No1Smitty Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2011 California

Pictures of said glass?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.