Regional Stickies?

Talk Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by maltmaster420, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

Any chance of allowing sticky posts in the regional forums? For example, there is a constant stream of "What should I see/do/eat/drink in Portland/Seattle" threads popping up in the PNW forum, and it would be nice to create one thread we could direct people towards for general questions.

I realize it won't stop all of them because often people are inquiring about what events might be happening while they're in town or trying to set up bottle shares, but some things (i.e. hotel options) don't change frequently, so it would be nice to keep it contained.

Thoughts?

John_M, libbey, MADhombrewer and 3 others like this.
  2. djbreezy

djbreezy Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2008 Washington

Totally agree on the "Visiting Portland" threads. It would clean up the forum substantially.

3. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Maine

Same with "Visiting Boston" threads too. Many times people just enter a link to the older versions of the same questions anyways.

djbreezy likes this.
  4. Agold

Agold Maven (1,251) Mar 13, 2010 Pennsylvania

This is definitely a great idea that IIRC has been propsed. I'm not sure why they didn't do this years ago.

The only conceivable issue I can think of is that places have a ton of destinations with lots of regular threads. Atlantic has philly, NY, DC, Pittsburgh, and baltimore. Midwest has chicago, detroit, and indianapolis. Do we really want that many stickies in a forum? Another solution might be a beer traveling forum where people ask or post about trips.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  5. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

if there's one continuous theme with internet forums, it's that people don't read stickies. Then you have threads where people yell 'READ THE STICKIES N00B!!!!!!" and whatnot.

6. emannths

emannths Initiate (0) Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

I think creating a subforum might be the way to go. Most are looking for slightly different things when they're visiting--some are restricted geographically, some are looking for a particular beer, etc, so having one gigantic sticky won't help. At least a subforum will make it obvious that others have asked the same question before.

However, I think there should be a sticky that points people to the Beerfly guide and perhaps other local beer resources (beermapping.com, taplist sites, etc). Many of the posters pointed in the direction of the beerfly guide weren't previously aware of it.

7. tewaris

tewaris Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Minnesota

Your excluding Minneapolis offends me!

yamar68 likes this.
  8. LostTraveler

LostTraveler Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2011 Maine

If the stickies are at the top the the group it may be easier. If each region has a sticky that says "Visiting _______ Region" then have sub groups there for each of the major cities when you open that group, right at the top.

9. SageO

SageO Initiate (0) Jul 13, 2010 California

No traction on this idea? It's getting tiring seeing a new "Where can I buy PtE in SD?" thread every two days in the Pacific forum.

heesu likes this.
  10. Prospero

Prospero Pooh-Bah (2,606) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Yes please, we get tired of copy/pasting in the Mountain Region too.

coreymcafee likes this.
  11. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

This is why I don't particularly like the idea. In the time it takes to direct someone, you can just answer the ?. A sticky is not going to significantly reduce the number of threads regarding the "where should I go in XXX city" topic. Instead of acting like a community and answering a persons question, the replies will be full of douchery ("Check the sticky, bro").

If you see too many duplicate threads, just skip em. You already know what it is, so don't even click it.

12. Prospero

Prospero Pooh-Bah (2,606) Jul 27, 2010 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Unless the sticky title is "where to go in xxx", lol

13. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We want BA's that are visiting our area to have a great and fun time, and we're happy to answer specific questions, but, the "I'm visiting Seattle (or wherever), what bars, breweries should I try" gets asked so regularly, and gets the same answers, that a sticky would save us a lot of repeat effort. It's not douchey to respond with a link to the sticky.

14. barleywinefiend

barleywinefiend Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2007 Washington
    Deactivated

Here's a new concept. Read the damn beer guides, reviews and do some homework.

libbey likes this.
  15. pnkRed

pnkRed Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I actually just brought this up in another thread. I think this is a great idea! For the regions that have more than just a couple beer destinations (Ie. Mid-Atlantic with DC Philly Baltimore...) You can have one sticky post to links with good discussions on where to go in X city. It would look something like this:

Title: Traveling to the Mid-Atlantic? READ FIRST!

Subject: If you're looking for awesome places to go while in the mid-atlantic, read these threads first.

Philadelphia

(Insert good thread link here)
    (Enter Beerfly Link here)

Washington D.C.

(Insert good thread link here)
    (Enter Beerfly Link here)

etc..

16. coreymcafee

coreymcafee Initiate (0) May 30, 2006 Colorado

I asked the bros and they said no. Can't remember the reason, but after they said no, we just started a thread in the Mountain Forum that we can use to copy and paste.

17. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Agreed Terry. For places like Porltand and Seattle, typically the OP gets 10 or 15 responses listing dozens of different places. 90% of the recommendations come up time and time again, and it just seems an unnecessary duplication of effort to keep on posting the same recommendations, or to keep on coping/pasting previous threads into the OP reply.

As Chris mentioned, this still won't eliminate queries from visting BA tourists (as there are always going to be new events and new places to discuss or promote), but I think it would make an excellent resource and starting point for folks coming to the area for the first time.

18. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

We've discussed this topic plenty of times. Regional stickies are not a solution for this. It's a known fact that few actually read them, and quite a few noob (and even veteran) members can't even take a moment to realize that we have regional forums; we move posts daily.

On top of this ...
    • Who decides what are "the best" places to visit?
    • What's the criteria?
    • Who's going to update them on a regular basis?
    I'd rather focus on building better city pages for places and make them easier to find and use, which is something we plan on doing.

Retsinis and Beerontwowheels like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.