Rare Beers from WA.

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Mages64, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

After you get settled in and the weather warms a bit, I suggest a north sound weekend for you. Going North from Everett there's: Skookum, Skagit River, North Sound, Anacortes, Flyers, Boundary Bay, Chuckanut, Kulshan, North Fork and a few others scattered around.

Flight0011 and CA_Infidel2o9 like this.
  2. dirtylou

dirtylou Grand Pooh-Bah (3,266) May 12, 2005 Oklahoma
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That is primarily a function of the fact that almost nobody in WA is rating local stuff - maybe this will change with the new rating/had features/etc.

3. CA_Infidel2o9

CA_Infidel2o9 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2012

That's an awesome list and it emphasis my point. There are so many awesome breweries around here that it's somewhat intimidating. When I see a couple taps of an unknown brewery on taplisters, I have no idea if it's just a year round brew I should try or rare that I need to hop in the car and grab a pint before its gone.

And I hope it stays that way. It just suck being a new comer because the selection here is mind blowing. This thread is a great resource for me.

BBThunderbolt likes this.
  4. dirtylou

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I hope it doesn't stay that way! Rate our damn beers!

5. Smurf2055

Smurf2055 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2011 Washington

Great Pumpkin. But it got a much wider distribution this year

Lordkrystic likes this.
  6. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Grand High Pooh-Bah (7,282) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

@ Cali_Infidel. Just as an example, take Anacortes. They've never bottled a single drop. They have a few accounts around, so you'll see them out and about some. But, they have something like 30 beers in their year-round release schedule, they almost always have something on tap at the brewery that will be a DONG (draft only, no growlers), and the brewer has the freedom to try stuff. Which can mean a random keg of a regular that's been soured or barrel-aged. Here's an example of a beer that I really loved: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1066/54323 .

7. waltersrj

waltersrj Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2010 Washington

I have to agree with "Dan the loud mouth here." :wink:
    I've had SO much fun at big bottle release parties, lines, etc. and really have a great time meeting the peeps. Hell, that's how I gained some great friends from this website into my personal life. I love being able to walk into Fremont and grab a few bottles of whatever at anytime but I also enjoy standing in line at 4 a.m. for HotD or whatever else I can attend.

I think people need to recognize the amazing beers we have here (Dan's main point)! FFF DL Day?!? A day for a beer that is extremely mediocre? Please...WA beats that shit ALL DAY LONG!!! Just go to Fremont, Anacortes, Black Raven, etc. and find out :slight_smile:

Texwild for the win
    B-bomb always in my glass
    who needs dark lord crap?
    :slight_smile:

Lordkrystic and BBThunderbolt like this.
  8. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Without really knowing anyone's age on here, I have to wonder if this might be roughly a generational thing. I'm 43 (which sounds a lot older than I feel), but when it comes to all the special beer events I definitely feel that I can be classified as "too old for this shit." Of course I'm sure there are exceptions in both directions.

BTW you're totally making me want to finally open my bottle of Dark Lord (2011) and just get it over with... So far the only FFF beer I've been impressed with is Zombie Dust, and even that one is overhyped. I'm starting to believe that all the people who rave about that brewery as the end-all, be-all simply don't know any better.

9. wsucoug96

wsucoug96 Zealot (536) May 18, 2010 Washington
    Trader

I don't know about the generational thing ... I'm an old 39 and have had a blast at the couple of HOTD releases I've stood in line for, along with various events in Seattle (Stout Fest, Sour Fest, etc.) that tend to be super-crowded. The beer is great, to be sure, but meeting other BAs is a big part of the attraction as well.

I think I might have to open my 2011 DL as well ... was saving it for a special occasion or something, but if it's not all that great, perhaps that "special occasion" will be "I need something to knock my ass out while my wife is monopolizing the TV watching 'The Bachelor.'"

10. distantmantra

distantmantra Pooh-Bah (2,954) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I'm 31 and I think standing in line to buy beer is stupid. I have a wife and kid (who came with me to B-Bomb release day) and a job and friends and a life outside of beer.

Sitting around a table drinking beer is awesome, however.

Get yer facts straight.

11. Orca

Orca Grand Pooh-Bah (4,441) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well there I go stereotyping again. Can you blame me? I am a white male American after all...

12. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

31 and when I shave, I look about 20.

wsucoug96 likes this.
  13. wsucoug96

wsucoug96 Zealot (536) May 18, 2010 Washington
    Trader

I think I would have the same issue ... if I ever shaved. My wife has never seen my bare chin, other than in photos from 20 years ago. And that's probably best for both of us.

14. youradhere

youradhere Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2008 Washington

Rarest beer of all?
    Why, youradhere brewed it last
    Blackberry Russian Imperial Stout

15. Lordkrystic

Lordkrystic Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Washington

Hah...same here actually.

16. bgramer

bgramer Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2006 Washington

I'd add Silver City's Bourbon barrel aged Stout and Naked City's Opacity.

17. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I was kidding with the last snarky part but I wasn't kidding about the rest.

18. dirtylou

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm younger and really kind of loathe that sort of environment. They turn into circus-like atmospheres and over-time always seem to bring out the worst (see: Dark Lord day). I like to purchase my beer, rare or otherwise, in a traditional manner.

I'm all for bottle-shares and being social and all of that jazz, but keep it away from the damn bottle releases. We don't need that crap.

distantmantra likes this.
  19. distantmantra

Pooh-Bah Trader

Amen.

20. Mages64

Mages64 Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2009 Washington

In an attempt to get my own thread back on track... Here is the list thus far:
    Black Raven Bourbon Barrel Great Grandfather Raven Imperial Stout
    Silver City Le Fat Barrel Aged Sour
    Skagit River Trumpeter Imperial Stout
    Epic Ales X-mas Party Time!!! Spiced Berliner Weisse
    Whiny the Complainer Triple IPA
    Black Raven Splinters Barrel Aged Scotch Ale
    Fremont Brewing Cowiche Canyon Fresh Hop and Hop Lab IPA
    Airways Brewing Final Departure Imperial Stout
    Seven Seas Depth Finder IRA
    Sound Humulo Nimbus Double IPA
    Sound Monk's Indiscretion Triple IPA
    Sound Ursus Spaeleus Belgian Imperial Stout
    Schooner Exact Hoppy the Woodsman Bourbon Barrel Winter Ale
    Reuben's Imperial Rye IPA
    Elysian The Great Pumpkin
    Anacortes Belgian Sour
    Silver City Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Stout
    Naked City Opacity Imperial Stout
    Old Schoolhouse Fresh Hop IPA (just added myself)
    Fremont Kentucky Dark Star
    Fremont Bourbon Abominable

and then back to the topic of hyped releases...
    I also like them because it helps a ton for breweries to release a beer and it sells out instantly. This really helps cash flow for small brewers. It helps bars when they put on wisdomseeker, everyone rushes to the bar to get it and the keg is blown within 24hours. While they are all there, they tip better, buy food, and then follow that bar on twitter to find out the next time the beer is released. I guess if you hate crowded bars, this environment would suck but I'll tell you what... bars LOVE that.

ChrisPro, BBThunderbolt and NWer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.