Quick Lagunitas Sucks Question

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by checktherhyme, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Pooh-Bah (2,421) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

That's what makes the world go round. We all have our opinions. "Sucks" is a dumb ass name for a beer IMO but I understand not everyone will feel that way.
    But the beer is great. So we both agree on that. And that is really the only thing that matters.

MCDub likes this.
  2. luwak

luwak Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2010 Arizona

dortenzio1991 said:
    Dont know if this has to do with anything, but we didnt get sucks til a week ago. As a retailer, things that say xmas and are christmasy typically dont sell good after christmas is over.​

So maybe you'll be good this year then since they ditched the Santa....and the label doesn't look to festive/holiday oriented to me.

3. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 Chad

I was listening to a Podcast with some of the Lagunitas brewers and they were asked about their label art in general. One thing that came up was the actual dog on the label/caps has nothing to do with the brewery - it was just some clip art that Tony on the the web. The same thing with the farmhouse on Hop Stoopid - it was some random image that they just liked. Those guys rule.

mecummins likes this.
  4. jtg5678

jtg5678 Zealot (572) Nov 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Now this is a bit of information that changes the way I look at it. The fact they are intentionally making bad labels is actually really endearing. Cheers!

kuhndog likes this.
  5. SawDog505

SawDog505 Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,666) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have been drinking Sucks bottled on 01/13/13, no complaints with that. Yum Yum!

6. Blanco

Blanco Savant (1,243) Oct 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Up until now I never even knew none of their beers did not list the style, so I guess it doesn't bother me at all. Someone in another thread mentioned being mad that sucks didn't have DIPA on the label and I had no idea why that even mattered to them. The only beer that ever surprised me was brown shugga and only because it was hoppier than I expected (which is silly given that its Lagunitas and I should have expected it).

7. shand

shand Pooh-Bah (2,166) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Wait, wait. Everyone just passed this by like it's nothing. You just got some DayTime in? I thought it was still set to be a summer seasonal. I'd really like to see it year round, so I'm hoping you're not mistaken.

8. darklordlager

darklordlager Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2008 Wisconsin

More likely they didn't want it associated with Christmas (essentially "poison" after 12/25...)

9. El_Zilcho

El_Zilcho Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Virginia

Is there ever a quick Lagunitas Sucks question?

10. dirtylou

dirtylou Grand Pooh-Bah (3,266) May 12, 2005 Oklahoma
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Lagunitas chicago? News to me :slight_frown:

11. JuniperJesus

JuniperJesus Zealot (741) Feb 26, 2011 Illinois

The splatter is an orgasm. After drinking it, you'll blow your wad.

12. StubFaceJoe

StubFaceJoe Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2011 Colorado

Another quick question...

Did anybody get some without bottle dates? I know where they botte date and know its hard to find. I'm on case #3 right now as well and I can't seem to find the date on these guys.

13. seanluvsbeer

seanluvsbeer Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2010 Pennsylvania

14. dvelcich

dvelcich Zealot (605) Feb 6, 2008 Illinois

I can't directly answer the question about the label art, but it may have something to do with the band Primus as that's where the name for the beer came from:

"Magee gives credit to Les Claypool and Primus who put out bumper stickers that said “Primus Sucks.” He had wanted to do a beer called “Lagunitas Sucks” for 10-12 years and finally had the opportunity when the company ran up against capacity and couldn’t produce some of its usual beers this past winter."

http://beerpulse.com/2012/04/laguni...ing-founder-sounds-off-on-craft-beer-industry

Lagunitas has been affiliated with Primus for years. If you want to see a ton of Lagunitas plugs, check out Electric Apricot. It's a movie by Les Claypool about jam bands, and there's a Lagunitas beer in almost every scene. :slight_smile:

15. ADfan

ADfan Aspirant (294) Nov 28, 2010 California

I must have a sick mind. After having Santa on last years bottle, I just assumed it was Santa going splat.

16. MMAGNIFICO

MMAGNIFICO Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2010 Wisconsin

Now I'm not positive on this, but I'm pretty sure that the red splat is supposed to be blood spatter. If you have ever seen the bottom of a Sucks case you'll notice that it says "Warranty void if seal is broken" and it has a very pixelated, black and white picture of a guy clubbing a seal. Just my take on it.

17. tzolandz

tzolandz Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Virginia

i was thinking the exact opposite. "unknown" makes it "intriguing" to many people. I've picked up tons of wine bottles that are blends of some kind with no indication of their make up. many times i'll take a stab at it. on the flip side, those who know beer, know what it is. i see it as a win-win.

as for the splatter, i see it as things going haywire at the brewery, spilling etc....

18. Vav

Vav Savant (1,025) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

I'm more impressed by the seal clubbing on the bottom of the master carton.

checktherhyme likes this.
  19. ChefHopMeister

ChefHopMeister Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2010 Virginia

"The Splotch". Ever have an idea, throw it up on the wall and see if it sticks?

Sucks was an idea that stuck. Simple as that.

checktherhyme likes this.
  20. DogTown

DogTown Initiate (0) May 17, 2006 California

Greetings... I know this thread is done but I just got the google alert about it... So's you know, I wanted to replace star-shaped Santa for the obvious reasons and was googling around for pic ideas of 'star-ish' images and saw a cartoon starfish pic that was pretty raggedy and it instantly reminded me of the splotch that I'd been putting on the cartons. I added it to the cartons a couple years ago for no particular reason. The cartons were the only place where I used that small mess and it seemed to me that a splotch, whether it be a Dexter homage, or a bird poop thing, or a tomato thrown, or stuff that sticks to a wall, just basically 'sucked' in one way or another... so it was settled right there on my laptop. The 'don't break the seal' thing on the bottom is totally unrelated, but then, I suppose everything is related whether it is or not... either way, anything that makes people go 'huh' is fun to me and all of your speculation is fun of the coolest sort. Chairs all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.