Pliny the Younger taps on February 1st

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by broodog, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brikelly

brikelly Pundit (781) Apr 11, 2010 Massachusetts

I'm in luckily in the valley for work this week, but I'm flying back Friday evening from SFO so I can't delay too long in Santa Rosa on the opening day. Plus I won't make it up there on Friday until 3pm or so.

Buuuuuut...I'm more of a sour head than a hop head, so I'd be OK with stocking up on the -ation beers from the brewpub if the line for PtY is totally insane.

So here's my question - will the line for PtY be the same line as for buying regular RR bottles? If so, I guess I'll be waiting in line no matter what. If not, at least I'll have the option of grabbing some sours *and* making my flight home :slight_smile:

Thanks all!

2. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

No! You don't have to wait in line for growler fills or bottles purchase. I think they were letting people in the rear of the pub for those.

3. stupac2

stupac2 Pooh-Bah (2,031) Feb 22, 2011 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

You can also go to Bottle Barn. A couple exits up 101 from RR, cheaper, and often (though not always) have everything the brewery does.

4. John_M

John_M Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,275) Oct 25, 2003 Washington
    Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Are you sure about that? The day I went for opening day, they had an employee out in the back parking lot, just to make sure no one tried to go in that way (you could leave out the back, but they weren't letting anyone in that I could see). Also, I'm pretty sure they don't differentiate between younger customers and others. If you think about it, the staff is crazy busy because the pub is packed and absolutely jumping. So there really isn't anyone there just to handle bottle sales. In fact, the times I've been at the pub during the younger release, it was often a CONSIDERABLE wiat to buy bottles, just because the place was so slammed, the staff really didn't have time to handle bottle sales. So it really doesn't make any sense to let someone inside, just for bottle sales. (and besides.... wouldn't it be kind of tempting to order a glass of younger, just while you're waiting to pick up your bottles - you just know that would be a problem at some point).

Just my two cents, but I would strongly recommend calling the brewpub about this, before heading over to the brewpub, hoping just to buy bottles this Friday.

5. brikelly

Thanks! That's great news on both fronts. Finding no RR sours at all in either SF or SJ so far, so I'm psyched that I can get some in the brewpub or Bottle Barn on Friday. Cheers!

6. brikelly

Believe me, I SO want to - but Jet Blue doesn't care about my love of beer :slight_smile:

7. NWer

NWer Pooh-Bah (2,145) Mar 10, 2009 Washington
    Pooh-Bah Society

^^^^^this.
    Definitely hit up Bottle Barn but not until I get there. Save some for me. And yes, they're cheaper than buying the same beers at the source.

8. stupac2

Pooh-Bah Society

That was my recollection too, but I didn't want to say anything because I wasn't 100%. Maybe the guy who said that was thinking of the Beat release? They did have separate lines for that one.

9. Walden97

Walden97 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2011 Texas

I was cycling in Dry Creek last year during the Younger release (this was a Sunday) and was supposed to meet up with a buddy at Russian River later that day. The line was too long for him so he went around back to grab some growlers and bottles and met me in Healdsburg to drink on the square. So yes, to-go goodies are indeed available around back based on our experience.

And for whoever is going wine tasting, Lancaster is awesome. Be sure to schedule a tasting in the caves, not the tasting room.

10. kpacedo

kpacedo Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California

Good idea to call and confirm but we filled a growler and brought it back to our place in line to drink. They gave younger drinkers wrist bands to differentiate the two I believe.

11. dcgunman

dcgunman Pooh-Bah (2,608) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

This just announced on Haven Gastropubs Facebook page:

Just when you thought there couldn't possibly any more incredible news coming your way, we bring you PLINY THE YOUNGER! That's right - every year, Russian River Brewing Company releases their Pliny the Younger, and this pub-draft only, VERY limited distribution beer, is available in February at select locations, including Haven Gastropub in Orange and Haven Gastropub +Brewery in Pasadena! Yes, and when we have this 10.5% ABV Pliny the Younger, we'll also have Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder on tap!

Here's how it will go down:
    >Monday, February 18 @ 11 a.m. >> Haven Gastropub +Brewery in Old Pasadena

>Tuesday, February 19 @ 11 a.m. >> Haven Gastropub in Old Towne Orange

Specifics: http://havengastropub.com/_blog/Haven_Gastropub/post/Pliny_the_Younger/

Let the Younger be heard in the OC begin.

12. OUJayhawk1799

OUJayhawk1799 Savant (1,242) Jan 25, 2013 Oklahoma
    Trader

Johnmichaelson, kcpacedo & Walden97 - Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into those.

13. brikelly

Just a quick follow-up, does the brewpub sell bottles until they close late at night? I'm thinking of making my bottle run up there tonight to make sure the Friday PtY run is free from haul purchase stress :slight_smile:

14. PaulStoneAnchor

PaulStoneAnchor Initiate (0) May 30, 2009 California

Just curious...if anyone who is going to the Super Nebula release and going to be in Santa Rosa for PtY on the 8th or 9th be willing to possibly trade for 1 or 2? :slight_smile:

PapaG likes this.
  15. hophead247

hophead247 Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2008 California

I'm pretty sure there is only 1 line for everything. The back entrance is not opened up at all...at least not while there is a huge line outside.

So to avoid the long wait, grab your bottles tomorrow.

16. sobeleg

sobeleg Savant (1,074) Jun 29, 2011 New York
    Trader

Anyone know if sanctification will be available tomorrow at the brewpub? I see it's listed in the coming soon section on the website.

17. stupac2

Pooh-Bah Society

They just posted on FB about Sanctification, but I forget what the end result was. Go check their FB page.

18. sobeleg

sobeleg Savant (1,074) Jun 29, 2011 New York
    Trader

Looks like it will be available tomorrow, thanks!

19. chippo33

chippo33 Pooh-Bah (1,959) Feb 29, 2012 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

As someone who hasn't had younger or elder, but will be going to RR next week, do you suggest trying elder first, then younger?

20. BlakeSmith

BlakeSmith Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2012 California

I think you s
    I'd probably try Elder first. You may appreciate the Younger more that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.