Please help a confused first-timer!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by vvans, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vvans

vvans Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2015

Hello all!

I am in the process of brewing my first ever beer, a Belgian Blond. I have already been tempted to write on a forum, but after reading a couple of posts I started to draw some conclusions. What I saw today however, has totally made me question everything, so here goes: I need some guidance.

Wednesday 5th of August: I ran through all the brewing process, and at around 10 pm I pitched the yeast into the jug with the wort being around 21 degrees C.

The next morning, (not even 12 hours after pitching), I was pleasantly surprised when the wort was bubbling through the airlock at what to me seemed incredible speed (one bubble per second or maybe even quicker). I had read it could take between 24 and 48 hours for this to happen, so I took it as a good sign.

After that, every day the bubbling became less vigorous, until finally, after something like 4 or 5 days, it had almost completely stopped (the wort is supposed to stay in the jug for 2 weeks before bottling). Within a week, the wort had cleared with no foam on top and so to me this meant that it was done fermenting.

This I had based on everything I had read on the internet. All the fermenting problems I had read was from people who hadn’t even gotten one bubble, or people whose bubbles stopped right after it started. Knowing that my room temperature was a bit higher that the range specified in the recipe (I estimate around 24 degrees Instead of 21), I had read that this could cause fermentation to accelerate and be done earlier. So while not ideal, I concluded that my beer was still fine so I decided to leave it in the jug until the 2 weeks were over and then bottle.

Today, (2 weeks after pitching), I proceeded to sanitize my bottles. When I walked to my jug, at first glance it didn’t seem at all clear. When I got a bit closer I saw that it was once again vigorously fermenting, at around a huge bubbly every ten seconds in the airlock and with a healthy layer of foam on top. I could swear that two days ago it was clear as can be.

What could this be? My plan is to let it ferment further in the jug until it clears and then bottle. But how come it stopped for so long and now is picking up where it left off.

The only thing that has changed is the fact that my room temperature has decreased, but to me it doesn’t make sense that apparently there were still all these sugars in the wort and only now it restarted, especially after having fermented before.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

2. premierpro

premierpro Savant (1,060) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

You will not be able to tell till you taste it. Hopefully you did not get a bug. I normally leave my beer on the yeast for three weeks before I package. Good luck.

MarriedAtGI likes this.
  3. MarriedAtGI

MarriedAtGI Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2013 Illinois

What kind of yeast did you use? Can you measure specific gravity? Does the beer smell or taste off?

I would pull a sample for a hydrometer reading. I'm guessing you have a gallon sized jug and might want to return the sample to the jug. If so, be sure to sanitize anything that comes in contact with the beer including the hydrometer and tube. Keep some of the sample to taste. Report back on the gravity reading and taste. Post your recipe as well.

Your plan to wait until this new round of fermentation is complete is correct.

4. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Savant (1,125) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Belgian yeasts can be finicky and can take a long time to finish. I know some of the saison yeasts and WLP530 can take up to a full month to finish fermenting, even when they start strong, it's the last few points of specific gravity that take the longest to finish. Do not bottle. Give it more time. Fermentation is still happening. What yeast did you use, anyway?

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  5. vvans

Thanks for all the responses!

Since I didn't take an initial reading on the wort before pitching I wasn't planing on buying a hydrometer until my second batch. But now I think I will buy one nonetheless and take a reading once it clears again.

As for the yeast I am using, I am not sure. I will check on the kit and get back to you (It's the Belgian Blond kit from Brooklyn Brew Shop, don't know if that's a well know one).

Thanks again

6. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Savant (1,125) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Out of curiosity, I Googled the yeast on this recipe. Looks like it was most likely Safale S-33, which is reportedly a resurrection of the old Edme ale yeast that has been used by homebrewers for a gazillion years back into the 1990s or maybe earlier. I remember this yeast vaguely. Interestingly, everyone says this is a great Belgian yeast, but in fact it is an English yeast with expected attenuation of only about 70%. I honestly don't know a whole lot more about it, but what I can say is, I would expect fermentation to be complete in about 3-4 days and then quit. If it's going again, that seems odd to me. Might be contamination? Don't know until you taste it. Also your beer might turn out full-bodied and sweet, but again, if it's contaminated (possible), then there's no telling how it might taste and it might dry out. In any case, the right thing to do is to wait it out and don't bottle until it's totally done fermenting, and then taste it before you do bottle. It also won't hurt to take a little taste test right now to see how it's coming along.

7. CADETS3

CADETS3 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

Use the hydrometer to read the SG to make sure it's close to FG or not.

8. Cadmando18

Cadmando18 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2015 Oregon

Depending on what size your batch is, I'd say that it starting back up again isn't the best sign, and going along with what @dmtaylor said, that type of yeast shouldn't be doing that. If it's a small batch, like a gallon, I wouldn't even mess with a hydro reading. Just leave it be. It's going to do what it is going to do anyway and taking a reading won't help fix it.

I'm not saying that taking a reading is a bad thing! Everyone here said it right, readings should be taken, but if this is your first beer or first couple of batches, you have a long way to go. And if it's a small one gallon size, you'll be taking out like 1/8 of the beer just to get a reading and then pouring it back in is taking a risk of infection.

Just my $.02! Cheers and enjoy!

PapaGoose03 and dmtaylor like this.
  9. vvans

For my second batch I will definitely use a hydrometer. For this one though, other than preventing my bottles from exploding it might be too late (especially considering its only a 1 gallon jug).

The only comfort I have is that as far as I can tell it does not smell "off" or "rancid" through the airlock. It still smells quite good to me. So as long as it's drinkable, I consider it a success.

While I don't know how yet, next time I will definitely focus of temperature control for the fermentation phase.

Thanks for all the replies!

10. TheGr8Sarcasmo

TheGr8Sarcasmo Initiate (0) Apr 3, 2015 Indiana

I have no experience with that particular yeast, but its possible if the temp has changed it might have started back up again. If your room temp was high (75 f) the actual temp of the fermenting wort could have been 5 to 6 degrees higher. So it could be that your yeast died off or went into hibernation then when things cooled off got going again. Though I'm actually not sure if thats possible, I've never heard of it happening (maybe someone else can say).

Or, if you have moved it or agitated it in any way it could have roused things up again. Honestly, so many things could have happened, you won't know till you try it whether or not its infected or screwed up. More than likely it will be drinkable though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.